All the ways KiCad annoys me
Feb 24, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #16 of 18
Philosophy is always worth arguing. :)

Is it worth arguing that this is not philosophy, but rather economics. :)

If the point of the play vs. party tradeoff example is that a more pleasurable experience should always be chosen over a less pleasant one regardless of any associated costs, I'd say that sounds like hedonism, not wisdom.

The point is not that one should do what is more pleasurable, but that already invested amounts (sunk costs) are immaterial to choices. That is the sunk cost fallacy in a nutshell. One does not have to live by that so long as one is comfortable being called irrational by economists.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #17 of 18
Temporary axis zeroing, so you can get relative distances directly from the status bar, rather than by doing arithmetic as with EAGLE's fixed origin; excellent for positioning PCB footprint pads relative to other reference points on the part!

Eagle has the Mark command for temporary axis marking.  It shows distances from the marked point in XY and polar coordinates.  Very useful sometimes.

You can also turn on all layers and group everything and drag it to some center point.  I do this sometimes with round PCBs so I can either be center oriented or bottom left corner oriented.

One gripe I have with Eagle is that the default PCB outline corner is offset from 0,0.  I don't know why - some historical reason I guess.  I always instantly move it to 0,0 - unless I forget...

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 18
As an old Eagle user You probably know very well that missing functions, like PCBcalculator - well, chances are that there's an ULP for that. In this case it's called
"length-freq-ri.ulp" and it:
    "Creates a list of all signals of a board, together with their maximum frequency, length, area, resistance, minimum and maximum width and maximum current."
User Language Program - ULP means you can program just about any function you might like, and chances are that someone already has....

Don't want to write your own program, just input a long list of commands ? Put 'em in a file with a .scr extension - that's called a script, and the file menu has an option to execute it. Very useful, especially for library maintenance: You can export a whole library to a script and just copy the parts you want for a symbol/ a pack/ a device. Open your own library and just paste into the command field. 

Scripts and ULPs - couldn't live without 'em!

OK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back