All NEW WhipMOD and WhipLOD; the next audiophile iPod 5.5 generation Modification!!
Oct 16, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #106 of 259

Quote:
eek.gif
deadhorse.gif

Ouch!

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #107 of 259
Although it's hard to tell that is a WhipMOD=>$150 TWag WhipLOD=>latest version of TTVJ Slim=>TWagged JH13 Pro=major sound

The secret is the warm, "tubish" SQ of the TTVJ counter balanced with the clarity and sparkle of an all-silver cabling.  The tracks called "Letters From The Equator" from Reference Recordings (HDCD-rip).  Amazingly good.

OK, I have removed the micro-LOD picture because it has caused too much confusion.  I was experimenting with different configurations, this was one of them.  In the meantime I got official confirmation from TTVJ and Justin (HeadAmp) below about the internal design of their respective amps and the fact that they do not recommend operating their amps in this particular configuration using an iMod or WhipMOD 5G (which doesn't include capacitors internally).

The only side-effect I've encountered was a slight ticking sound when the stepped attenuator was used on the TTVJ Slim to change the volume and as I stated the sound was awesome despite the thinner cable of the micro-LOD, but under the circumstances I think the standard WhipLOD would be the best choice overall, for the TTVJ because of the Line-in offset cannot accommodate the Reference Fat Boy LOD (with BG caps).  The Pico Slim doesn't have this issue.

The micro-LOD is exceptional for standard iPods, which is what it was designed for in the first place.

Sorry about any confusion this may have caused.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #108 of 259
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #110 of 259
You can, depending on the input stage design of the amp it's being paired with.  I wouldn't recommend this with a Shadow, since it has a  famously linear, capless input and output stage design.  The Pico Slim would probably be OK, too.

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #111 of 259

Quote:
You can, depending on the input stage design of the amp it's being paired with.  I wouldn't recommend this with a Shadow, since it has a  famously linear, capless input and output stage design.  The Pico Slim would probably be OK, too.

the Pico Slim doesn't have capacitors on its input, so i would NOT recommend this.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #113 of 259
Just want to give an update. After 100 + hours of burn in I can safely say that the Whipmod, FatBoy (Reference LOD) and Twag OM cable have created beautiful synergy. The word that comes to mind is smooth ... my ears are in nirvana.

I think I have reached that pinnacle of pure joy when it comes to music. I need nothing else for a long time to come ...

Thank Craig!

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #115 of 259
Hehe, I saw that too.  To be fair, someone can decide to sell audio equipment he loves for any number of reasons, like more pressing financial needs, minimal use of the equipment due to lifestyle (i.e. he mostly listens to his home setup or portable), or has just found something different, better, or very close but for less money.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #116 of 259

Quote:
Hehe, I saw that too.  To be fair, someone can decide to sell audio equipment he loves for any number of reasons, like more pressing financial needs, minimal use of the equipment due to lifestyle (i.e. he mostly listens to his home setup or portable), or has just found something different, better, or very close but for less money.

I just deleted my post because I thought it was unfair to Skoog.  I had said something to the effect that I was wondering why he'd sell if it was so great.  But on second thought, I shot my mouth off too quickly since I too have sold equipment I've owned for only a few weeks.  SOmetimes I get "foot in mouth" disease

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #117 of 259
Nah I thought your post was fair, I would want to know if there are any quality-related reasons for someone to sell something that I'm thinking of buying.  But selling stuff you love or at one time loved seems to be a requirement to be a true Head-fier.  Just look through the "Appreciation Thread" for nearly any headphone, and you'll see that many people who praised the headphone have long since sold it. 

Swapping different gear in and out is part of the journey, and it doesn't necessarily reflect anything about the stuff that's sold.  But you'd have to ask Skoog (in a private message) for his reasons.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #118 of 259
It is great! I love it .... but I have reasons, which I do not need to divulge but will to satisfy those that doubt... I have a son, I have financial needs that are pressing. I had to weigh my desires over my son's and well there you have it.

It is a great product combo, and with reluctance I will be selling the items. If they do not sell, then such is life.

Thanks for retracting your post.

skoog

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #119 of 259
Craig,
I read in #1 where you mentioned that we may send you a 4th Gen iPod for the WhipMOD service. May you kindly tell us a little more on how the modification is to be done? Will you put the capacitor inside the unit, disable the 3.5mm phoneout jack and turn it to be a lineout jack (just like the RWA iMod 4Gen)?
Cheers

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #120 of 259
That is actually exactly how i plan on doing it...Only thing maybe worth mentioning is that I will be using Black Gates and obviously the Whiplash Cryo'd wire!

Cheers,
Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back