All in one or seperates Hi-Fi system up to £1000
Jan 5, 2011 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I'm currently looking for either an all in one system, or full sized seperates (preferably from the same company) that can power the B&W 684 speakers, as i have found a great deal offering these in their sale (I understand that these brands arent usually recommended on here but its for my parents and they want to buy from a company they may have heard of or from a reputable online or high street retailer). They want the system to have a DAB radio with iPod conectivity also (can be just USB) also on their wishlist is streaming from our PC via ethernet of wi-fi although its not a necessity :) and obviously the CD player itself.
Wondering if any of you guys out there can recommend anything!
I am curently looking at the Teac reference 600 which i have found for £750 http://whathifi.com/Review/TEAC-Reference-600/
and fits the bill nicely, and also either Arcam Solo Mini or the Solo Neo if i can stretch to that! But people are suggesting the Teac wont be powerful enough to drive the B&W 684's, but the Arcam Mini will be? Any thoughts? B&W recommend the amp has anything from 25W-150W which isnt very helpful as the range is HUGE! So confussed, with so many options!

I would really appreciate any help you could give, thanks in advance! :)
Danny

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 3
Any recommendations this sort of money would be grately appreciated!
Thanks

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 3
Hello Danny,

The BW have a good sensitivity (90 db), so they are not very difficult to drive. The Teac with 2X75 W seems to be enough powerful in order to drive them. I am not sure that the Arcam solo mini with only 2X25 W would be a good match with these speakers.  

Personnaly, i would choose the Teac more than the Arcam. And for a little more (1250£), you have the Myriad MI.

http://www.myryad.co.uk

Pascal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back