Ali G Season 2
Sep 20, 2005 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I picked up the DVDs last weekend. I missed this season when it was on HBO -- how unlike HBO to show the series maybe once?!

Anyway, I've only watched half the episodes so far, but I've laughed so hard I cried.

So, if you need a few good laughs, and you liked the first season, it's a safe bet.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Quality comedy...up there with chappelle
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 11
The Ali show was great. What happened to him? I know he was having crew problems or something and stories of him walking through the Waldorf Astoria in his underwear as Borat were popping up in the NY local papers. Bring on the new season! Congrats on the DVD’s.

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by D4RPA
I recently picked up the DVD. His Borat stuff is just too funny. I loved how he would try to attack the self-defense teacher!

There's a Borat piece in season 1 when he takes it even further with a bunch of minor league baseball players. Worth checking out, if you liked this one.

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 11
He was palatable up until he made the film and that was the end of him... there's a limit to how far you can take that character (in a comedic sense) and his "Borat" character just isn't funny at all IMO.

Of course.... you guys in the US are years behind us when it comes to quality comedy so you probably think Ali G is the funniest thing since cashmere golf club covers or pink polo neck pringle sweaters
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 11
I like the Borat character -- a very polite, likable guy, who has absolutely over the top prejudices. Interesting and funny concept. The methods Cohen uses to lure his marks in contain interesting psychological lessons.

In one scene, Borat is out on the campaign trail with a city council candidate, knocking on doors. He gets into a conversation of about the equality of the sexes with a middle aged women. It's hysterical how she takes him seriously even though he's laughing at the concept of women being equal to men or being allowed to vote.

And the way he lures the Arizonans into singing that horribly anti-semetic song is brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back