Alfred Brendel's last North American performance
Mar 18, 2008 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

scompton

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw Brendel in recital tonight and he was fantastic. It was the first solo piano recital that I attended and it was a good one to start with. Here's the program

Haydn: Variations in F minor Hob:XVII/6
Mozart: Sonata in F Major, K. 533/K. 494
Beethoven: Sonata in E-flat Major, Op. 27, No. 1
Schubert: Sonata in B-flat Major, D. 960

and 3 encores. I never recognize the encores, although the last sounded familiar to me. It was great except for a woman having a coughing fit in the quietest part of the Beethoven. Then she walked across the wooden floor in her high heels
mad.gif
I don't understand why people with colds don't bring cough drops. I always do if I have the least little sniffle, unwrap a bunch before hand, and constantly have them in my mouth. Anyway, it was a great time.

They said in the intro that it's the 60th anniversary of his first recital. I'm not sure if he's retiring or just not touring any more.

It was also my first concert in Strathmore Hall in Rockville, MD. The acoustics were great. Getting there for me isn't so great. I was in the first row of the middle balcony, in the back, so I couldn't really see him playing, but the sound was excellent.

I also have tickets to see Leif Ove Andsnes in April playing Bach, Grieg, and Debussy. Looking forward to it

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 8
'Retiring from performance' is the phrase I've seen in reports, which I suppose might allow an occasional masterclass. But you've inspired me to book to see him in Vienna in June!

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 8
My favorite is the Beethoven, although I do love the Schubert as well. I found a list of the encores. I haven't listened to the Mozart Sonata much even though I have a complete set.

Middle movement of Bach's Italian Concerto
Liszt Au lac de Wallenstadt
Schubert Impromptu in A-flat major D. 935

I sort of recognized the last, I have a CD with it on it, but I guess I've not listened enough. I didn't recognize the Bach, but I only have harpsichord versions and I doubt that I'd recognize part of it out of context anyway.

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 8
The concert finally arrived. Last night I saw Alfred Brendel at the Musikverein - not something you can say every day - for the sum of 6 euros. This involved standing at the back, of course, but the hall isn't that big. Getting in involved waiting outside until the doors opened, at which point everyone ran to the staircases, left and right, where we had to queue; then a second dash to the doors of the auditorium, to form another two queues; then, at the sound of a buzzer, a final sprint into the hall from each side in order to get a coveted place at the front of the paupers' pen.

After all that excitement, the concert had a lot to live up to, but it was quite an event. The same programme and encores as above - great performances, and a rapturous reception. The audience was left very happy and pleasantly exhausted.

Brendel also showed his witty side: there was one point in the Haydn which sounded as if it might be the end, and people started preparing to clap; he just held up a hand and an awkward moment became an amusing one.
Also at the interval, where he waited until the applause had almost died down and people were starting to leave before coming back for a final light-hearted bow. Not many pianists combine great playing with the art of physical comedy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 8
I've noticed that people make more noise at concerts than they used to. I think it is because people are used to listening in their living room or on HPs and don't fully understand that they are in public. The clapping between movements is getting out of hand, and the rush to be the first to clap is as stupid as the people doing it.

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed that people make more noise at concerts than they used to. I think it is because people are used to listening in their living room or on HPs and don't fully understand that they are in public. The clapping between movements is getting out of hand, and the rush to be the first to clap is as stupid as the people doing it.

Fortunately, I've yet to encounter people clapping between movements. Part of it though might be not knowing the music and thinking it's over.

At the Brendel recital, an elderly couple was sitting over a few seats in the row behind me. Both had hearing aids. During a quiet section, the started talking. I guess they couldn't hear it and didn't realize he was still playing. Maybe their eye sight was bad too.

I got to the Leif Ove Andsnes recital early and was talking to an usher. She said that they have had complaints about the acoustics being too good. If you're sitting in the balcony on one side, you can hear people turning the pages in the program on the balcony on the other side.

My seat was behind the stage, directly in line with the keyboard. I could hear the programs being turned. I doubt that I would have noticed if she hadn't told me though. What was loud was people dropping their programs. It made a loud crack on the wood floors.

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 8
He's coming to play in Edinburgh this August too
biggrin.gif
I don't think I'll be around to listen to him, although I did hear him play at last year's music festival.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back