Alexander McQueen Voids His Life: Adieux to a Poet among Designers
Feb 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-suicide.html

Quote:

British fashion designer Alexander McQueen has been found dead after taking his own life.

The 40-year-old committed suicide just three years after his close friend, Isabella Blow - who plucked him from obscurity and helped him become a star - killed herself.

A source at McQueen’s office this afternoon confirmed his death, saying: ‘It is a tragic loss. We are not making a comment at this time out of respect for the McQueen family.’

His death comes just days before the start of London Fashion Week and weeks before he was due to unveil his new collection at Paris Fashion Week on March 9.

I'd hoped this was merely a stupid joke, another infantile meme from a bitter spectator. Heartbreaking to know it's true, and that McQueen followed his friend, Isabella Blow -- and, more recently, his mother -- to oblivion. It recalls the saddest ending from Silent Hill 2, and the final lines from Mahler's Kindertotenlieder.

Pity that. His whimsical morbidity was one of the things I loved most about him -- particularly in his women's couture. It was if slant-rimed nymphs and sprites had emerged from moss.

My girlfriend connected with his spinal Puma designs -- bonded in a Gigeresque way. I hate having to tell her about this, knowing that his work validated other artists' depression.

Now people will attribute his use of slightly dark imagery with his death, when his work probably helped keep him alive. Do not be fooled: Grim wit and sanguine imaginings strengthen us. It's loneliness, self-hatred and suffering that snuff us abruptly.

McQueen deserved far better. He deserved his own mercy.

"A deep, deep wound Adonis;
A deeper, Venus bears upon her heart.
See, his beloved dogs are gathering round—
The Oread nymphs are weeping—Aphrodite
With hair unbound is wandering through the woods. . . ."
-- Percy Shelley

A refreshingly decent eulogy has been published in The Guardian:

Alexander McQueen: A genius is lost – and darkness has won | Life and style | The Guardian

This bit was especially welcome:

"[H]e was, as his friend Daphne Guinness put it, 'generous without noise'."

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 3
How sad to see a great talent choose to leave us. Unfortunately great minds often seem to carry a terrible weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not be fooled: Grim wit and sanguine imaginings strengthen us. It's loneliness, self-hatred and suffering that snuff us abruptly.

What a wonderful way to put something so often misunderstood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back