Alex Chilton is dead
Mar 18, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 13
In my early twenties I played guitar in a bar band. One of my favorite numbers (and one of the audience favorites too) was "The Letter". Sad to hear Mr. Chilton passed away....

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 13
... but this will live forever:

888072315747A.jpg

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 13
RIP to the Godfather of power pop!!! All the September Gurls are weeping...

...And now it's pretty much up to Jon and Ken, isn't it...?

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dunno--doesn't anybody think it's high time that The Cyrkle had a reunion tour? There hasn't been a cover of "Red Rubber Ball" in ages.

When I first glanced at the thread title, I immediately thought it was a reference to an obscure collaboration between Peter Murphy and Michael Stype.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 13
Very very sad. A big loss to music. Though the terms genius and underrated are used a lot here and in other places he truly deserves it.

A lot of twenty and thirty somethings who have never heard the box tops or big star, still have much to be grateful for in the influences on the bands they do listen to.

Was listening to the box set on the way to work this morning including September Gurls

RIP Alex

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 13
...another true legend passes. I can remember an early "best-of" called "Big Star's Biggest", I believe, released during the early days of compact discs, being like the Holy Grail to me! The box set will be near my ears for the next few days for sure.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RIP to the Godfather of power pop!!! All the September Gurls are weeping...

Let's not forget Jody Stephens, he looks like he hasn't aged a day since the original group!

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 13
Sad news indeed.
frown.gif

I'm digging up my Reading 93 bootleg cassette tonight for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back