Alessandro Wood Cup Mod -- where to start?
Apr 12, 2010 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

meticadpa

Head-Fier
I have a pair of Alessandro headphones, and I've decided that I want to give them a wood outer cup.

Does anyone have the measurements for these off-hand? (I've looked around the internet to no avail.)

I'm not sure where to measure, even if I did have to do it myself, so anything regarding that wood (yes, wood
biggrin.gif
) be a good help.

Thanks.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Alessandro headphones, and I've decided that I want to give them a wood outer cup.

Does anyone have the measurements for these off-hand? (I've looked around the internet to no avail.)

I'm not sure where to measure, even if I did have to do it myself, so anything regarding that wood (yes, wood
biggrin.gif
) be a good help.

Thanks.

You basically need a lathe. Measurements are on Headwize. Its cheapest to have JMoney make them or I've heard certain indo-pacific head-fiers off this for even cheaper.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

My school has a lathe, so I can use that I guess.

grado_mod21.gif

I saw those pics, but I wasn't sure if the measurements were identical for the Alessandros as they are for the Grado.

Since that's the case... I'll see what I can do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Be aware that it's no trivial task to turn the cups. The outer shape is very easy but in order to do the inner bore well takes quite a bit of precision. It's also very handy to have a soft-jawed chuck to do the work so that you can work the face of the material which is all but impossible while turning between the centers.

Here's a set I did this weekend for a friend, I'd say I've got about 6hrs into them already and they are certainly not done. Sanding and finishing often takes as long as the turning.

medium.jpg

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be aware that it's no trivial task to turn the cups. The outer shape is very easy but in order to do the inner bore well takes quite a bit of precision. It's also very handy to have a soft-jawed chuck to do the work so that you can work the face of the material which is all but impossible while turning between the centers.

Here's a set I did this weekend for a friend, I'd say I've got about 6hrs into them already and they are certainly not done. Sanding and finishing often takes as long as the turning.

medium.jpg

They're beautiful! And thanks for the advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

What wood is that from?

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're beautiful! And thanks for the advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

What wood is that from?

Thanks, and that's Wenge, it's pretty easy to work depsite having very open grain. My personal favorite set of cups are these, which are East Indian Rosewood and belong to Boomana.

medium.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I just do this for fun so I have no issue sharing the experience gained through many, many mistakes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I recently added a new lathe to my shop which had made turning small parts like this a lot more fun. Not cheap though...

medium.jpg

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm going to re-draw the diagram... it's pretty unclear to me. >.<

Anyway, I've got a contact online from Canadia who said that he can see if he can make them for me. He can do rosewood, maple, and some others, so it should work out pretty cool.

If not, I'll do them myself at school.

And thanks for all the advice/tips... it really is very valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back