Alessandro Plug Replacement
Aug 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chrismc_us

New Head-Fier
Hello, hope you guys can help,

Idiot me tripped over the cable on my MS-1s and bent the jack. Now I have to rotate the jack in the socket to get stereo, but it keeps going back to mono and I have to rotate it again. It's getting worse by the day.

Any advice on what to do? Replace the cable or plug? How to do it. I am prepared to buy another pair if need be, I like them so much (although I'd rather find a cheaper fix)

Thanks in advance.

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Can you solder?

All you have to do is cut off the broken one and put a new one on instead.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes I can solder, just wanted to make sure if I cut the broken one off there won't be any difficulty with insulation or anything.

I think I'll go with your advice, thanks for the info.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 11
No difficulty.  I've had to do it before.  Just make sure you get a plug large enough that it can handle the cable jacket.  If you really want to go premium, what might be worth considering is getting an HD580 cable and switching it out with the standard Grado one.  It's much nicer, imo; much less DIY-looking. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Yes I can solder, just wanted to make sure if I cut the broken one off there won't be any difficulty with insulation or anything.

I think I'll go with your advice, thanks for the info.

There shouldn't be any problem.  The wires aren't super tiny or enameled or anything.  At least not on the pair SR80s I've replaced the plug on before.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for all the info. I don't want to be without the cans for any length of time and the closest place to get a plug here is radio shack.

Is there any reason not to use this plug? http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103400

Thanks again!

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 11
It should probably be fine.  Some connectors may be slightly out of spec.  Slightly wrong size or something else.  You may want to bring whatever you usually plug the 'phones into to make sure it's a good fit.  It should probably be fine though.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 11
I just plug it into the 1/4" adapter and into my receiver so that will be simple enough. Thanks again for the info!
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I just plug it into the 1/4" adapter and into my receiver so that will be simple enough. Thanks again for the info!
beerchug.gif

No problem.  Hope it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back