Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
pics in sig
tongue.gif

We DEMAND Bigger Photos
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #33 of 3,117
Hey EFN, have you started using the HD414 pads? You might be missing something!
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #34 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by young&wild
Hey EFN, have you started using the HD414 pads? You might be missing something!
tongue.gif

Not yet hahahaha - the yellow pads look is killing me hahahaha. I am in the process of getting a RIT Dye. I will be wearing my MS-1 for full portable use so I don't want to attract any attention with that yellow thing
basshead.gif

But for now I have modded the comfies with Quarter Mod hole and that alone was enough to satisfy me - period. I have no doubt that HD414 will make it even better.

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #35 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
....that's a reasonable demand!!
rs1smile.gif

Due to the fact that I posted a Mall-fi ad [a decision im not regretting] I cant really do much in the way of showing off my wood working projects because its basicaly like advertising. So shoot me a PM or Email message if you want some bigger pics.
-greg

PS- how do the senn pads effect the sound?

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #36 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
Not yet hahahaha - the yellow pads look is killing me hahahaha. I am in the process of getting a RIT Dye. I will be wearing my MS-1 for full portable use so I don't want to attract any attention with that yellow thing
basshead.gif

But for now I have modded the comfies with Quarter Mod hole and that alone was enough to satisfy me - period. I have no doubt that HD414 will make it even better.

Oh Yeah; the yellow look is not for everybody!
smily_headphones1.gif

I lost track of who has small or big ears; but if you happen to have ears on the smaller side, trying the pads reversed is a good way to add some additional comfort. The pads are thicker on the "backside" and when installed reversed adds more of a cushioning effect and(again, for my ear size, anyway) even more stability.

My MS2i sound great with bowls, but the lightweight MS-1 with reversed 414s are a dream to wear!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #37 of 3,117
phergus_25:
Aah no worries then, I'll hunt around in Mall Fi for those pics

I haven't tried the Senn HD414 yet, not unless they have been dyed black LOL!

F107plus5:
Yeah I might wear them reversed, my ears are kinda pointy and the stock comfies totally covered them! almost circumaural hahahaha

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #38 of 3,117
Now I understand why there's so much love for this modest yet surprising MS-1. I have been listening to her every single chance I got and the sound has grown into me. It's the sublte and concise treble presentation that hooked me, even better after modded with Quarter Sized hole in the comfies. And I am absolutely certain about MS-1 uncanny control over highs, bordering on the edge just about at the range when the same frequency would be brighter on SR60. Bass is there when there is bass in the songs, impactful and dense, I don't exactly know how to measure the extension but my guess it that is has extended well on that I can sense the presence of bass "aftermath" - not actually hearing it.

Mids and vocal is simply amazing, I listened to Nick Cave's Loverman and Do You Love Me, those who love Nick Cave songs will appreciate the fullness of of his vocals, all the melancholic feel and intensity. But slightly on the downside, MS-1 is still a bit short on TEXAS' Sharleen Spiteri vocals, Sharleen has that very sharp voice trail and MS-1 exhibit that "hiss" audibly - depends on how you look at it, this could be a turn off or it could be a plus - me being a big fan of TEXAS can live with it. In contrast my slightly muffled and warm PortaPro excelled with Sharleen vocals.

Imaging and Soundtage, Not much can be discussed here since Grado lines are known for the limited Soundstage but they are definitely strong on Imaging. I am happy enough with just "around my head" soundstage and extremely happy with Imaging - brings me into the studio with the performer. On the other hand my PortaPro gives me the "Clubhouse" feel, right in the thick of the floor - you don't need precision here.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #39 of 3,117
I've had my MS-1s since January of 04 and they are still the phones I use the most. They're at work and on my head probably 10x the amount of any other phone I own.

Fantastic <$100 headphones.

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #42 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj
can someone help me justify "blowing" 100 dollars on ms1s?

Justification comes when you actually have them in hand and listening to them. I purchased my MS-1 on a whim, never listened to them before but after reading tons of reviews and impressions from existing owners I made up my mind and commited to it.

You have to figure out first, what sort of sound signature you like, have you ever listened to a Grado cans before? or more precisely have you listened to SR60?, if fun is a big factor then SR60 fits the bill, but if you find SR60 too hot to handle, MS-1 could be the answers. Before MS-1 I have listened to SR60 and a bit of SR80 and SR125, I even had a good listen to SR325i - to sum up all of them are bright cans specially SR325i and SR125, SR80 seems to be very slightly mellowed in contrast. My original aim was an SR225 but my pocket does not allow me to own one yet, by struck of fate I came accross a very good deal on used MS-1 and that's probably one of the best ever deal that I have ever commited to.

If you have experience with Sennheiser MX100 (the new batch), MS-1 have similar traits to MX100, but MS-1 of course is a much more refined cans altogether.

In the end, trust your judgement and the decision is trully yours
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #43 of 3,117
Only experience I have with headphones are... gaming headsets. Which I currently have Icemat siberias. Which sound great for games as well as music(as far as I know) and are extremely comfortable. The padding seems right on the same page as sennheiser(based on looks and other peoples opinions). I listened to BOSE ones and my gaming ones sound better just not by much(maybe I dont have the golden ear?). Normally these cost 80 but i got them for 40. I am really interested in the ms1s because the whole grado experience seems to have sucked peoples brains out but with good reason
tongue.gif
Also only headphones ive listened to that i can compare with are bose(i know that says nothing).
my sig has a pic of the icemats

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #44 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj
Only experience I have with headphones are... gaming headsets. Which I currently have Icemat siberias. Which sound great for games as well as music(as far as I know) and are extremely comfortable. The padding seems right on the same page as sennheiser(based on looks and other peoples opinions). I listened to BOSE ones and my gaming ones sound better just not by much(maybe I dont have the golden ear?). Normally these cost 80 but i got them for 40. I am really interested in the ms1s because the whole grado experience seems to have sucked peoples brains out but with good reason
tongue.gif
Also only headphones ive listened to that i can compare with are bose(i know that says nothing).
my sig has a pic of the icemats

I see, from what I can tell, KOSS KSC75 and PortaPro (specially those modded ones) will have no problem outclassing BOSE Triports in SQ, I have listened to BOSE Triports before and I am not impressed by the price tag.

If you wana play safe, I recommend cheapo KOSS KSC75 for an introduction to "Gradoey" sound. If you like them then SR60 is an upstep from there. But if you find KSC75 to be too "thick" for your liking, MS-1 would be the answers.

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #45 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Oh Yeah; the yellow look is not for everybody!
smily_headphones1.gif

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back