Alessandro MS-1
Aug 23, 2010 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jshnks

Head-Fier
Good evening, Head-Fi.

I recently purchased a pair of Alessandro MS-1's off the forums as my first purchase into the head-fi world.
I love the sound they produce, Muse - Radiohead - The Cramps - Every Time I Die, they all sound insane.
However, no matter what ear cups i use, they are incredibly uncomfortable, i can maybe wear them for about
15 minutes before they get on my nerves. And also they arent all that great for gaming either.

I am new to this audio world, and was wondering if there is any headphones like the alessandro's in sound
but more comfortable? and decent for gaming. I would put music over gaming. I have heard about the DT880s
are good for gaming and from some people say they sound kind of like the grado/alessandro's but i dont know
how true that is or if my headphone amp would drive them if i got them.( LD 1+)

Right now my setup is, FooBar > HT Omega Claro > LD I+ > MS-1, Also is there a better OpAMP to get for this
card ? I have been using the OpAMP that came with it. I got this soundcard mainly for the Dolby Headphone for
gaming as i heard the ASUS ST can only do Dolby Headphone through their onboard headphone out.

Anyway, thanks for looking and helping =)

Joshua

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:

However, no matter what ear cups i use, they are incredibly uncomfortable, i can maybe wear them for about
15 minutes before they get on my nerves. And also they arent all that great for gaming either.

I am new to this audio world, and was wondering if there is any headphones like the alessandro's in sound
but more comfortable? and decent for gaming. I would put music over gaming. I have heard about the DT880s
are good for gaming and from some people say they sound kind of like the grado/alessandro's but i dont know

1. What pads ever you tried?
2. Who say that DT880 has similiar sound like Grado/Aless? ridiculous lol (note that what I mean is DT880 2005 version which is still in production till now)

I think you can try ATH, AD700 maybe? no, ATH isn't has aggresive sound like Grado/Aless. it's smoother, but still mid and treble centric like Gradessandro, it has better staging (good for gaming), less quantity of midbass, and more comfortable for sure.

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Jumbo pads are very comfortable (for me anyway) you have to do some modding before your MS1 would sound right with them though...

There are a couple of things you can try -

1. Buy some distancers (Nickchen and ApatN both sell them) and some Jumbo pads and try the MS1000 mod (do a search here if unsure).

2. Punch out some of the hole between the air chamber and the driver to increase the bass enough to make the jumbo pads work (for me it was all of them, but best do it one at a time to taste).

3. Do a combination of both of the above methods.

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Before you give up on them, have you tried bending the headband?  They can be bent into whatever shape fits you best, from very high clamping force to none at all.  Also, have the pads been worn in yet?  If they haven't, you can roll them around between your palms for a few minutes and that will soften them up considerably.

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 5
dtt880's dont sound like the ms-1s at all. as for comfort, if you are willing to invest about 20-30$, you can get new pads (hd414 or bowls) whichever suits your style, you can also get a headband cover. you can order from beyer, or find on ebay, the headband pad for the dt880, it snaps right onto the band of the ms-1 and makes it exponentially comfier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back