Alessandro MS-1 wihout DAC and unamped?
Aug 15, 2010 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

indieroll

New Head-Fier
I've been searching through these forums for quite some time, and I narrowed my buying choices of headphones to grado sr60i or the MS1i's for at home listening.These phones are going to be mainly used on my computer/Ipod. I'm leaning towards MS1i but I'm wondering is it worth the extra $30 without a DAC and unamped? Just a poor college student trying to get the best SQ for around $100.... Though I will probably invest in DAC/amp later down the road.

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't have the MS1 but actually I own the SR225i, had for a few months the 325is and tried the SR80i. Sure they like to be connected to a good amp, but they all sounded very well just with my Sansa Fuze. Based on that and knowing you will upgrade later your chain, I would get the MS1.

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 7
Go with the cheaper price.  They're both great.  This way you can listen to music, really enjoy it, and not be so poor :)

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes, get the best headphone you can within your budget, and these will sound better almost no matter what you plug them into.  I don't have MS1, but for example I appreciated the improved quality of my SR225 over my SR60 straight out an ipod.  And the better the headphone, the more they'll improve/reveal if you decide to get an amp or dac in the future.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks guys for the input. This is my first real purchase of some nice quality headphones other than my senn px200 (mainly used for outdoors). I think I'm gonna go for the MS1 since I won't be upgrading phones for a long time.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 7
The lack of a DAC and amp should not be an issue at all. I felt my old MS1i improved only marginally when driven by my desktop rig as opposed to my iPhone. Their particular signature wasn't for me, but if you like their sound, then you'll like it regardless of what they are driven by. Enjoy.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 7
MS1i sounds good without dac or proper amp. But they just sounds better if feed by dac and desktop amp.

Since you have plan to upgrade source and amp later, so MS1i is really good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back