Alessandro MS-1 vs Sennheiser HD 555 vs other open headphones, death metal, 150$
Sep 4, 2010 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lolki

New Head-Fier
Hello, Head-Fi members!

I'm sure that you see many "What should I buy?" topics every day, so here's another one.

For the past 3 years I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD 485 headphones to listen to music. I am now looking to buy a new pair of open headphones for around 150$. I won't be using an amplifier, so I'm reluctant on spending more on a pair of headphones that I won't be able to utilise at their full potential. The headphones will be connected to my computer's sound card, an E-MU 0202 on USB, and sometimes to a Cowon D2 MP3 player. I'll only be using the headphones in my house, so they don't need to be small and portable, as I've already got a pair of IEMs to utilise when I'm traveling. Regarding the music quality, I mainly listen to lossy tracks (192 - 320 kbps MP3) and some lossless (FLACs and APEs).

I'd say that about 95% of the time I listen to death metal. I'll give some examples, so you know what I'm talking about:

Decrepit Birth - Ignite the Tesla Coil

Kronos - Phaeton

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Sophistic Demise

The other 5% of the time I listen to dark, ambient jazz, like the following:

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Constant Fear

The greatest problem for me is that, in my Eastern European country, there is only a Sennheiser dealer. The prices are good, but you can't actually test the products, just order them over the Internet. Other than that you can't find anything else, no Grado or Audio Technica, AKG, Denon, etc. I have to buy the headphones online, from Amazon or ebay.

I've read some posts and I saw many people recommending Grado headphones for rock and metal. I'm considering buying a pair of Alessandro Music Series One headphones (since they are Grado headphones), the price is good and they ship worldwide. I also saw many posts recommending the Sennheiser HD 555 headphones, which I can buy from the local dealer (though I do want to try another brand, as I said I've been using Sennheiser's for 3 years).

I'm open to other suggestions, as long as I can find the headphones on ebay or Amazon (or on other sites that ship worldwide).

Thanks for reading the post and all useful replies!

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Grados are great for that kind of stuff.  They're a bit uncomfortable though.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 3
I would go for the Grado/Alessandro then. I listen to quite a bit of death metal (though mostly melodic death metal) and my HF-2 are great for that. I switch to the DT880 when the Grado's hurt my ears after a while and I want a wider soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back