Alessandro MS-1 vs ATH-M50 vs ATH-AD700 vs Denon AH-D1001
Oct 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

yeahman68

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone that's versatile, and I really don't know which ones to get. If there anything that you know's better, just tell me. Be advised, It has to be around $100, give or take $20-$30. The source will be a Cowon S9, and an amp will not be used.

-Thanks.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 32
neither of those is a bad choice.

I own both the AD700's and D1001's and I can tell you that they are both keepers.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahman68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mainly listen to rock/metal, and then there's some hip-hop oriented stuff like Gorillaz, Daft Punk, etc.

AD700 have ZERO bass. MS1 are very distant sounding with unconvincing treble. I've owned both.
Neither really work for metal.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 32
I would disagree. The MS-1i that I own is amazing at conveying metal. It isn't as good as the SR-325is (which some consider to be the metal king) but I have found that it is more engaging for some metal and rock recordings than my much more expensive HF-2's. It does help a lot to use L-cushion bowl pads, however. Just a thought...

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 32
I also disagree about the AD700 having no bass, it has clear bass with decent depth, it is just fast and accurate versus boomy.

The AD700 is an excellent all round HP good for gaming and most music genre's. Having said that I don't listen to a ton of metal anymore and when I did it was old Led Zeppelin, Nazereth and such so is not representative of todays metal.

I also think the MS1 would be a great phone for your genre's especially if you like the up close and personal feeling.

The MS1 will make you feel like your very near the front of the concert whereas the AD700 will make you feel like your at row 10-15.

Personally I found the MS1 to in my face for extended listening or daily listening and the AD700 great for long listening as it did not fatigue me as much. I also like a huge soundstage with most of my music, something the AD700 is great at while the MS1 has a very small soundstage.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 32
I definitely disagree that the AD700 has no bass. I think it has great bass. It's fast and detailed. perfect for bassmaster and perfume.

As far as which one you should get, I'm not really sure what to tell you.
It depends on your taste, and what you want out of the music.

I would not expect the MS1 to work well with anything hip hop, but I haven't used it.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACm0nkEy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700 have ZERO bass. MS1 are very distant sounding with unconvincing treble. I've owned both.
Neither really work for metal.

I own both and I have to disagree with you on both points. The AD700s have a very neutral bass, probably a bit on the light side, but there is definitely still bass. The MS1s do have slightly rolled off highs, but I wouldn't describe them as unconvincing. I also wouldn't describe them as distant at all.

Just between those two I would choose the MS1s for being more versatile between different styles of music as well as being better for metal, but if any isolation is needed then the D1001s or M50s would probably be better (I'd probably go for the M50s between those two).

EDIT: Daft Punk definitely isn't hip hop.
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahman68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do the 1001s or the m50s come into play at all in this?

That's asking for a comparison between open and closed headphones. It's apples and oranges, if you ask me. I think the only time they're to be compared is when one has elements of the other in the sound signature.

And, for various reasons, open headphones seem to be a lot more common around here.

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 32
I was between the MS1i and the AD700 awhile back, and I went with the AD700s - I don't have any experience with the MS1i but I love the AD700s.
Their sound stage is as wide as anything I've ever heard.
If you're also a fan of treble, you're gonna love these. Every time a cymbal is hit, I can hear it shimmering into silence.
The mids are very neutral - guitars are precise, and not too "in your face." Male vocals also sound really nice and natural.
As far as bass goes, it is tight. And by tight, I mean tight. It is definitely there, it just doesn't have any boom. Bass drums have a good thump to them, and bass guitars sound very smooth. If you are into bass at all though, these aren't the cans for you. They don't lack bass, but it's extremely controlled.

Overall, their sound is very relaxed and nonfatiguing - I have listened to these cans for albums on end with no problems. I love them.

For the mere price tag of $90 I would definitely say go for it, unless you want the "in your face" sound of the MS1s.

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 32
m50s are a good choice for their specific job.

have a good bass impact decent highs and mids. I would say they are similar to hfi780s.

obviously they don't achieve the same detail and soundstage as open cans.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #14 of 32
MS-1i. Great for rock/metal.

Had the Ad700 a couple months back. They can defend it all they want, it's lacking bass. A lot. Soundstage was nice but derailed from some music.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 32
I can't believe what I read on this forum some times. "The AD700 has fast and accurate bass", "Great bass" etc. I own a pair of AD700's and true you can occasionally hear the bass under the somewhat fatiguing high frequencies. To me it sounds like bass would sound if your neighbor down the street was playing their stereo and you could sort of hear it. Recessed bass...

Below is a frequency graph comparing the AD700, the M50, and the K701. I put the K701 in there because there are many people on these forums who end up not liking them because they don't have enough bass for their tastes, and yet look how they compare to the AD700s. The AD700s lowest two octaves start at minus 5dB and roll off all the way down to minus 20dB by the 20Hz mark. Is that what some people call great bass??? As for the fast and tight aspect of the bass, I haven't personally experienced that. I do have a pair of headphones with much much better bass to compare them to so maybe that helps me hear the difference?

graphCompare.php

The AD700s do have some redeeming features such as comfort and sound stage, but great bass isn't one of them in my opinion. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back