Alessandro Headphones
Aug 15, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #31 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by uthscsa19
Would my surround sound system at home provide good enough quality and power to drive the headphones to their max potential?
Thanks

Well if an ipod can, i would be pretty positiv about your system.
icon10.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #32 of 126
And yeah; I use my MS-1s on my home system all the time! Sounds great!!

I have a very good speaker system with great clarity, and I still ocassionally use my MS-1s to dig out dialog that often gets hidden in a noisy action flick! And I most always listen to the formula 1 auto races with the cans since I can block out some of the noise the kids make, and pull the voices out from the noise of the cars.

It's great!

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #33 of 126
OK, I've had a chance to compare the MS-1's played straight out of my iPod and then through my amp.

I have to say, I was surprised at how good they sounded without an amp.

I was easily able to achieve comfortable listening levels, but bear in mind I'm not one who likes to blow my eardrums out at every sitting. What I consider to be a comfortable listening level may be too soft for you. YMMV

But there was a definite improvement when played through an amp. The main areas of improvement were dynamics and bass.

While playing without the amp, the iPod was in most cases at greater that 7/8 max volume. It should come as no surprise that the amp gave the music a little more elbow room.

I listened to Yes's "Fragile" album, and the difference was clear. the Chris Squire / Bill Bruford rhythm section was noticeably punchier with the amp. When listening to my ROIO of Porcupine Tree at the 2001 Nearfest, the drums and percussion was clearly more realistic. I could almost imagine I was there.

The bass was better controlled with an amp, more weighty, possessed more authority. Not that the bass was lean without the amp, but there was a definite improvement with one.

It was especially apparent when listening to some acoustic double bass on Douglas, Barenberg & Meyers's "Skip, Hop & Wobble" where Edgar Meyer's bass sounded much tauter and substantial. Not flabby my any means, just better.

The long and short of it is: my 4G iPod photo was able to do an admirable job of driving the MS-1's, but they sounded much better when played through my Portaphile V2^2 amp. Of course the usual caveats apply, YMMV, etc, etc...

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #34 of 126
I'm listening to an older, beautifully recorded Jim Croce CD, and am having lots of trouble trying to type. Y'all trying to tell me that it can get better than MS-1s out of a DVD/CD player without an amp?

Better than what I'm listening to right now? That's hard to believe! Dosen't seem like it could get any better'n this!!

Seriously. This is really good stuff. Hard to imagine that MS2i with an amp can beat this.

These MS-1s are great cans.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #35 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Y'all trying to tell me that it can get better than MS-1s out of a DVD/CD player without an amp?

Hear it to believe it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sorry bout your wallet
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #36 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
I'm listening to an older, beautifully recorded Jim Croce CD, and am having lots of trouble trying to type. Y'all trying to tell me that it can get better than MS-1s out of a DVD/CD player without an amp?

Better than what I'm listening to right now? That's hard to believe! Dosen't seem like it could get any better'n this!!

Seriously. This is really good stuff. Hard to imagine that MS2i with an amp can beat this.

These MS-1s are great cans.

That wouldn't happen to be the Steve Hoffman mastered DCC would it?

I can't agree more, my MS-1's only have about 48 hours on them and they are already knocking my socks off! But it would appear that you are really in for a treat when you do spring for an amp, because they definitely do get better through an amp.

You don't have to break the bank, there are plenty of good used amps available in the For Sale forums.

Aug 16, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #37 of 126
We had most of the sellections on vinyl back in the early 70s. The Wifes' had this CD in her collection since the mid 80s, so it's an older CD. It's not specific about who did the re-mastering, but it sure is well done. She has some older Alan Jackson CDs from the early 90s that are quite well done too! I find that I'm excited just listening to the way the recording is done and picking out all the instruments that were less emphasised before! I can hear them through my speakers, but having to get in just the exact spot and hold near motionless while listening takes some of the fun out of it!

I'll be moving up to MS2i after the first of the year, and then probably getting an amp later, so it'll be interesting to hear something that may be even better than what I'm already enjoying so much today! But yeah; these MS-1s already exceed my expectations and if I don't manage to go up-Grado/Alessandro any further, I guess I could be happy right where I am!

Aug 16, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #38 of 126
Welcome to The Curse! The MS-1s were my gateway drug too. Then came the upGrado to MS-2, then on and on...have fun on your musical journey!

Aug 16, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #41 of 126
You all make me want to go search them at the factory !

Are they confortable ? anyone with glasses have any experience with them ? How long can they stay on your head ?

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #42 of 126
I'd say they're about as comfortable as my SR-60's. I don't wear glasses.

I hate to say it, but if comfort is your primary concern Grado's may not be the cans for you.

Aug 16, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #43 of 126
It's not really my primary concern, I was aware that grado was not really on the confort side, but I tought maybe the alessandro were a little more confortable.

Aug 16, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #44 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagail118
It's not really my primary concern, I was aware that grado was not really on the confort side, but I tought maybe the alessandro were a little more confortable.

Well I wouldn't call them exactly bad, but cans like Sennheiser are more comfortable for sure. I can listen to mine (and also my RS-1's) for at least a couple of hours before I notice any discomfort.

And if you like, you can do some minor mods to make them more comfortable. For example I have a BeyerDynamic padded pleather headband snapped on over the stock Grado headband.

And right now I'm waiting on some Sennheiser HD414 pads that I understand will up the comfort factor somewhat.

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #45 of 126
I've managed to get a tad over eight hours with my MS-1s with reversed 414s.

I wouldn't call them super comfortable, but they are more than managable.

.......and I have an extra 100 grams of weight stuck on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back