Alclair Electro 6-Driver Electrostatic Hybrid Custom In-Ear Monitor
Nov 29, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #32 of 79
I struggled on whether or not to get these up until the last minute to use the Black Friday code. Reasoning (what's THAT got to do with this hobby?!) got the better of me since I had just received delivery of a CIEM only 2 weeks ago. @Victorfabius please let us know if do get them and please share your thoughts on them (or not; I may regret my self-control).

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #33 of 79
Well, I promised impressions, so let's go! :D

Alclair Audio Electro - First Impressions

The Electro has a distinctly clear and level-headed tone. It's highly reminiscent of in-ears like the Lime Ears Model X, Kumitate Labs Meteo, Rhapsodio Eden and Vision Ears VE6X2 in that its clarity doesn't come from treble peaks or lower-mid dips - rather, it's the relationship between the top-end as a whole and the mid-bass.

The Electro's low-end is very even-handed. This is a bass I'd comfortably call flat or reference. Now, over the years, those descriptors have unfortunately been stereotyped to mean lean or anaemic. How I'd define a reference bass is how much it alters from one track to another. If I play a Japanese acoustic track then switch to Kendrick Lamar's Alright and hear minimal changes in perceived bass quantity, then that in-ear clearly has a coloured low-end. With the Electro, that's not the case at all. When switching between genres - and even between songs within the same album - you can hear the shift in bass quantity and quality. But more importantly, I've yet to find a track where the Electro sounds dull. So, bassheads beware, but engineers and enthusiasts alike should be happy with the Electro's low-end - as long as your minimum is enough.

Thankfully, the low-end as a whole is of high quality. The headroom the treble provides (which we will discuss later) allows the bass to rumble, reverberate and bloom whilst maintaining absolute control. Some would call this too much control - mid-bass decay is on the quicker side - but a very slight sub-bass lift does inject a bit of fun. The transition from sub- to mid- to upper-bass is well-done as well, so the low-end feels like a solid, singular unit rather than just rumble or just impact, etc. Ample extension imbues the low-end great physicality despite its middling presence; allowing it to cut through the mix very well. Pop and rock fans do not fret, it will make its presence and authority known. Warmth radiating from the mid-bass is minimal at best, but it isn’t recessed or sucked-out either - again, very even-handed; no more, no less.

The Electro’s midrange is vibrant and engaging with a slight bias towards the upper-mids. It's forwardly placed, musical and immensely clear (we'll get to the treble soon, I promise :p). Instruments have caverns of space to radiate and render detail, so cleanliness is probably as high as it could get. It's a consistent-sounding midrange because of how evenly it balances the lower- and upper-mids, allowing it to sound pleasing and smooth with every genre of music. But perhaps, its safety is a weakness as well. The Electro's midrange echoes the A18t, the Model X and the Meteo; detailed, clean and well-balanced, but a bit two-dimensional - not in holography, but in emotional resonance and dynamic range. Instruments don't sound as enthralling or absorbing as they could possibly be. When listening to cellos or female altos, I tend to miss the bellowing thickness and beauty that the Phantom or Prelude can provide. But then again, those two don't deliver clarity and detail as readily as the Electro or A18t do either, so it's definitely a matter of preference.

Now, onto the treble. :D The Electro electro-statically-charged treble is undoubtedly special. It renders detail in an unprecedentedly effortless and refined way. Much of it stems from how cleanly it performs. There aren't any brittle harmonics or bright hazes or resonances in any shape or form. Notes come and go with utmost authority, precision and speed. Of course, the natural comparison to make is against 64Audio's highly-acclaimed Tia driver. The two technologies perform with similar airiness and openness, but the key difference here is in lushness and finesse. The electrostatic drivers sound smoother and more effortless whilst rendering the same amount of detail. Treble notes sound larger, smoother and more holographic, so you get a breezier, more engaging listen with no compromise in technical performance or tone relative to Tia.

The Electro's stage heavily benefits from this as well. The e-stat drivers serve dividends when it comes to stage structure and definition. The dimensions of the soundscape are expertly defined and unwaveringly maintained, so - for lack of a better term - bigger-picture-listening is easier than ever. You can appreciate both the small nuances and how those nuances are intricately weaved to form the final image. Consequently, stereo separation and imaging precision both excel. Expansion on its own isn't mind-blowing relative to the best the market has to offer - a touch less out-of-head than the A18t and Zeus, for example - but the air between each note is so clean, that the extra volume isn't necessary anyway. The space where the music takes place is so well-defined and well-lit, that locating and following instruments become second nature. But fortunately, this definition and clarity comes without brightness; simply by way of speed, authority and extension. Again, the overall tone is squarely neutral; just a touch brighter than what I'd consider natural. But, there's no denying that the e-stat drivers give the Electro some of the best headroom I'd heard yet - clear and precise, yet engaging and easy to listen to all the same.

Overall, I think the Electro is a strong entry into the current landscape of TOTLs and a convincing case to how much e-stats can bring into the in-ear industry. Do I think it's a perfect IEM? Certainly not. The bass, while impressively transparent, isn't the most fun to listen to. Some would readily take the hit in spatial performance in exchange for a bit more warmth down low. I think the midrange lacks a bit of maturity and three-dimensionality. It nails evoking the fun and pop of instruments, but it lacks the warm, meaty beauty that I've gotten used to with my other in-ears. But considering how well the Electro works as I whole, I reckon my critiques are best reserved for an entirely new IEM. Nevertheless, I think the Electro is a noteworthy IEM - at its price point, especially - that many hi-fi enthusiasts will love. Audiophiles looking for a more affordable A18t or an upgrade to their Andromeda shall look no further than the Electro, and those looking to invest in a new dark horse should certainly look at Alclair Audio - these boys are in for a bigger splash. :wink:
Great write-up! Did you listen to Shure's KSE, and if so, how do you compare them? Thanks!

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #34 of 79
Great write-up! Did you listen to Shure's KSE, and if so, how do you compare them? Thanks!

Thank you! I haven’t heard the KSE system in a very long time, but I’ll give ‘em a try next week and let you know. :)

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #35 of 79
Thank you! I haven’t heard the KSE system in a very long time, but I’ll give ‘em a try next week and let you know. :)
Thank you Daniel!

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #36 of 79

Hey man, I finally got to comparing the two in Singapore a few days ago. Unfortunately, since I'm using a Sony WM1A, I was only able to compare the Electro to the KSE1200 instead of the KSE1500. The DAC's the only difference; I hope you don't mind. :D

Both the Electro and the KSE1200 embody musical signatures that one won’t immediately associate with electrostatic drivers. Neither are wispy or light, and that’s truest in the midrange. Both in-ears boast full-bodied instruments with equal distribution between the transient response and the harmonic. This means instruments come through with texture and body as rich, lightly warm images - rather than super crisp, two-dimensional wraiths. However, the KSE1200 is stronger in this regard. It has a fuller lower-midrange and a blacker background, so instruments almost stand on their own two feet as corporeal images on the stage. The downside to this is that the KSE1200 may come across more chesty and a tad throaty, while the Electro comes across more refined.

This is also because of the KSE1200’s treble presentation. It adopts a middle-treble dip and a larger upper-treble peak, which gives instruments like shakers and tambourines a gorgeously lifelike rattle, but may leave vocals sounding a tad - again - throaty. The Electro has a more linear, refined vocal presentation, but sacrifices that last bit of realism with percussion, wind chimes and similarly-voiced instruments. Resolution is where the KSE1200 has the clearest edge. Instruments distinctly detach themselves from the background as full-fledged, holographic images, even though soundstage expansion isn't far off in size. The Electro’s midrange is less impressive in this manner. However, that slight quirk in the KSE1200’s timbre may impede its realism in the long run with select genres of music. The Electro is comparatively more linear and smooth - not rolled off by ANY means, though.

In terms of bass extension, it’s neck-and-neck with the KSE1200 perhaps taking the slightest of leads. This is perceived so because the Shure in-ear has considerably more mid-bass than the Electro. Basslines rumble with more energy and gravitas, even though sub-bass performance is near-equal under closer inspection. In tone, both are neutral with a slightly warm tinge, but the KSE1200’s mid-bass and lower-mid hump grants it a thicker, chestier timbre. However, its upper-treble peak makes it a touch more articulate than the Electro too, so the Electro ironically comes out sounding more uniform.

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #37 of 79
Hey man, I finally got to comparing the two in Singapore a few days ago. Unfortunately, since I'm using a Sony WM1A, I was only able to compare the Electro to the KSE1200 instead of the KSE1500. The DAC's the only difference; I hope you don't mind. :D

Both the Electro and the KSE1200 embody musical signatures that one won’t immediately associate with electrostatic drivers. Neither are wispy or light, and that’s truest in the midrange. Both in-ears boast full-bodied instruments with equal distribution between the transient response and the harmonic. This means instruments come through with texture and body as rich, lightly warm images - rather than super crisp, two-dimensional wraiths. However, the KSE1200 is stronger in this regard. It has a fuller lower-midrange and a blacker background, so instruments almost stand on their own two feet as corporeal images on the stage. The downside to this is that the KSE1200 may come across more chesty and a tad throaty, while the Electro comes across more refined.

This is also because of the KSE1200’s treble presentation. It adopts a middle-treble dip and a larger upper-treble peak, which gives instruments like shakers and tambourines a gorgeously lifelike rattle, but may leave vocals sounding a tad - again - throaty. The Electro has a more linear, refined vocal presentation, but sacrifices that last bit of realism with percussion, wind chimes and similarly-voiced instruments. Resolution is where the KSE1200 has the clearest edge. Instruments distinctly detach themselves from the background as full-fledged, holographic images, even though soundstage expansion isn't far off in size. The Electro’s midrange is less impressive in this manner. However, that slight quirk in the KSE1200’s timbre may impede its realism in the long run with select genres of music. The Electro is comparatively more linear and smooth - not rolled off by ANY means, though.

In terms of bass extension, it’s neck-and-neck with the KSE1200 perhaps taking the slightest of leads. This is perceived so because the Shure in-ear has considerably more mid-bass than the Electro. Basslines rumble with more energy and gravitas, even though sub-bass performance is near-equal under closer inspection. In tone, both are neutral with a slightly warm tinge, but the KSE1200’s mid-bass and lower-mid hump grants it a thicker, chestier timbre. However, its upper-treble peak makes it a touch more articulate than the Electro too, so the Electro ironically comes out sounding more uniform.
Thanks pal, a clear and detailed comparison. From what I understand, it's a really tight race between the two. While the comparison shows the KSE to have an edge in terms of holographic presentation/instrument separation (soundstage?), the Electro appears to come out ahead in terms of linearity. The Electro for my personal preference has three advantages over the KSE: it's custom made, is not married for life to the same amp, and its 500 bucks cheaper... Thanks for being my proxy ears :ksc75smile:

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #39 of 79
Thanks pal, a clear and detailed comparison. From what I understand, it's a really tight race between the two. While the comparison shows the KSE to have an edge in terms of holographic presentation/instrument separation (soundstage?), the Electro appears to come out ahead in terms of linearity. The Electro for my personal preference has three advantages over the KSE: it's custom made, is not married for life to the same amp, and its 500 bucks cheaper... Thanks for being my proxy ears :ksc75smile:

No problem! I think how tight the race is ultimately depends on the kinds of music you listen to as well. If your tracks don't trigger the KSE's tonal quirks, it has a pretty decent lead in terms of technical performance. The way it creates instruments that are so solid that they pop and detach themselves from the background almost is quite impressive. But, when you're talking about the bigger picture, the Electro will play nicer with a wider range of music - not because it's rolled-off or detrimentally smoothed, but because it has a more linear midrange and a more tonally-sound treble. But yeah, looks like the Electro's for you, bud. :D

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #40 of 79
No problem! I think how tight the race is ultimately depends on the kinds of music you listen to as well. If your tracks don't trigger the KSE's tonal quirks, it has a pretty decent lead in terms of technical performance. The way it creates instruments that are so solid that they pop and detach themselves from the background almost is quite impressive. But, when you're talking about the bigger picture, the Electro will play nicer with a wider range of music - not because it's rolled-off or detrimentally smoothed, but because it has a more linear midrange and a more tonally-sound treble. But yeah, looks like the Electro's for you, bud. :D

I've been telling myself that if the timing was right I'd get the KSE1500 and if everything I'd read about it were true, it would be my last IEM purchase (yeah right). Now you're telling me the Electro competes with it on some levels. Now I really regret passing on the Black Friday deal. :triportsad:

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #41 of 79
I have tried the KSE1500 a couple of times at shows. It does have a nice sound but I found it to lack musicality for just sitting back to listen to music. I feel the Electro takes the cake in this regard. It carries a better tuning for every day listening especially with it being a custom earphone.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #42 of 79
I've been telling myself that if the timing was right I'd get the KSE1500 and if everything I'd read about it were true, it would be my last IEM purchase (yeah right). Now you're telling me the Electro competes with it on some levels. Now I really regret passing on the Black Friday deal. :triportsad:

I think the Electro competes with it on more subjective, tonal aspects. It’s hard to deny the KSE’s technical brilliance. :D

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #43 of 79
It's easier for me to say what kind of music I don't listen to: EDM, Techno (all that kind of modern electronic stuff), plus heavy metal and dodecaphonic. Other than that, I enjoy listening to pretty much anything, from pop to rock to classical to jazz etc. Also, beyond 15kHz I can't hear much anyway. I guess at some point I'll toss an electrostatic coin...

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #44 of 79
The wait is over. This bad boy arrived today.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190309201913748_COVER (1).jpg 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190309201850840_COVER.jpg 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190309201828939_COVER.jpg

I'm still learning how to get these comfortably into my ear - fatigue/pressure sets in quickly. At least I can listen to a full album without much issue. So, for the IEM (this and talking about the Beyerdynamic Xelento - it was a complex conversation that did me no favors, ok?) that was the straw that broke the wife's back, it's an interesting experience so far. Not much time with them yet, but I'm enjoying what I hear so far. Just getting through a variety of use cases. Currently using the AAW Capri Cable (modified to fit the Electro) out of a Note 9. Used iPod Touch, Topping DX3 Pro, and Toping NX4 DSD and hitting it with a whole bunch of electronic ambiance and sound scapes, but will get to the stuff I know well later (I've got a research paper to write and collaborate by next week, ok?).

Initial impression is extremely positive. I was a bit worried about the bass - but I should not have; it fits my taste. Bass does not underwhelm or overwhelm, and really, the Electro does an excellent job. I'm also strongly biased toward BA bass presentation, so take that for what you will. Great clarity, and excellent for male vocals beyond what I had expected. I haven't done a lot of vocalists at the moment, and most of my uber familiar songs have male vocalists. Doesn't have the airy treble sparkle I remember from the Andromeda, so I shall still long for that. However, for an IEM that trends to warmth, and doesn't hit the brightness that I was hoping for, I'm actually liking the Electro's upper mids and treble. As a nit-picking thing, I think the Electro is a tiny bit more sibilant than I expected, but I'd have to go back and listen to another IEM to do a more accurate comparison. This is something I have no motivation to do.

I know I was looking at the Electro as a possible successor to the Andromeda. It isn't. Instead, I think I found a personal successor to the Zeus. Yes, my all-time favorite, the EE Zeus may have lost its place to the Electro. I'm not kidding, this initial 5 hour session has me crossing the Zeus off my wish list. This was a totally unexpected consequence, but there you have it.

Not for bassheads. Like, not even close.

Endgame material? Welp, for once I hit the bass boost on the NX4 DSD and uh... I really enjoyed what came out. My typical reaction to this bass boost is: "look. more bass. meh." With the Electro, it was, "Look. More.. oh. Oh, that's just the spot." And my leg started thumping. True story. Short answer: the Electro is an overwhelming favorite to be endgame material. Need to do more listening to get a better idea, but yeah, this is one hell of an experience.

Check out the Electro here: https://alclair.com/monitorshop/electro-electrostatic/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back