AKG's new K872?
Sep 15, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #166 of 642

I must translate or rewrite my first impression to english now  (google translate is not my friend) 
k701smile.gif

If you understand german too

AKG K872 Geschlossener Referenz-Kopfhörer
http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=10304&page=11

AKG K872 - Master reference closed-back headphones
http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=110&thread=16610&back=&sort=&z=2  

Neu: AKG K872, geschlossener Referenz Kopfhörer
http://www.hififorum.at/showthread.php?t=8095&page=2

Well google translate is much friendlier with German than Japanese! 
biggrin.gif

Pretty balanced out the box. I'd like the bass to fill out a bit and the treble to smooth out slightly but that always happens for me when I burn in headphones. I'll comment on things like soundstage after I've put about 200 hours on them. Nice case included although it's a bit large. 

A friend and I both bought one and we agreed that AKG's stated feature of the ability to mix records while traveling is a stretch with the 872-close but not quite there, unless of course you use a portable headphone amp. Tried hooking it up directly to 2 smartphones; my Samsung Galaxy Edge 7 was a bit quiet but I thing the iPhone will be able to drive it volume wise for most people, although it seems the frequency response changes quite a bit when you amplify it.

Cable is very long, single ended, and proprietary. I will be seeking a replacement very soon. 

Alright thanks a ton.  Interesting that they should advertise mixing on the go.  Not something particularly practical imo.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #167 of 642

Pretty balanced out the box. I'd like the bass to fill out a bit and the treble to smooth out slightly but that always happens for me when I burn in headphones. I'll comment on things like soundstage after I've put about 200 hours on them. Nice case included although it's a bit large. 

A friend and I both bought one and we agreed that AKG's stated feature of the ability to mix records while traveling is a stretch with the 872-close but not quite there, unless of course you use a portable headphone amp. Tried hooking it up directly to 2 smartphones; my Samsung Galaxy Edge 7 was a bit quiet but I thing the iPhone will be able to drive it volume wise for most people, although it seems the frequency response changes quite a bit when you amplify it.

Cable is very long, single ended, and proprietary. I will be seeking a replacement very soon. 

You can use a Chord Mojo for portable use which is super small, yet very powerful. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #168 of 642
You can use a Chord Mojo for portable use which is super small, yet very powerful. 

Yes, I have a Chord Mojo already but I was lead to believe that it didn't need an amp coming out of a smartphone to mix, that was the main reason for me buying it;

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/aKrxjvDMsCg[/VIDEO]

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #169 of 642
Yes, I have a Chord Mojo already but I was lead to believe that it didn't need an amp coming out of a smartphone to mix, that was the main reason for me buying it;

https://youtu.be/aKrxjvDMsCg

Until you hear your K872 coming out of a desktop amp, you can't say for sure that Mojo is powerful enough.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #170 of 642
Someone please read my sig, I have a lot of GREAT desktop amps, both tube and solid state, even more than I have listed and my 872 was on a GS-X mk2 40 seconds after taking it out the box.........I think I even posted pics.Mojo is definitely powerful enough with power to spare.......

My point is this is a *reference* headphone intended for studio use and I'm a music professional.......if you look at the video I linked the AKG guy said several times no external amp was needed and I disagree. A friend and I both bought the 872 for that specific feature and we were disappointed

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #171 of 642
Someone please read my sig, I have a lot of GREAT desktop amps, both tube and solid state, even more than I have listed and my 872 was on a GS-X mk2 40 seconds after taking it out the box.........I think I even posted pics.Mojo is definitely powerful enough with power to spare.......

My point is this is a *reference* headphone intended for studio use and I'm a music professional.......if you look at the video I linked the AKG guy said several times no external amp was needed and I disagree. A friend and I both bought the 872 for that specific feature and we were disappointed

In that video they have it connected to a tablet it seems, which suggests that it can work with certain tablets? 

Maybe try it out with the tablet used in that video and if the volume is still too low, then I suppose ask for a refund. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #172 of 642
I've given the K872 a couple of weeks listening, and have made two adjustments. First, I set the headband so the pads sit a little higher on the ear. I also removed the two foam rings from in front of the drivers (under the damping inserts). The top end and midrange now breathes just a bit better and lets a little more light in. I'm now totally happy with this headphone.

I had originally A/B'd the K872 against the K812 and found the 812 had a bit more sparkle but also a bit of glare in the highs. In contrast, the 872 sounded slightly veiled and muffled. The 872 now splits the difference and provides the best of both worlds.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #173 of 642
So will this have support for long after it is out, considering that AKG is shutting down?

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #174 of 642
So will this have support for long after it is out, considering that AKG is shutting down?

Really? That's a shame. Guess I won't buy the AKG K872 then due to possible warranty issues. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #175 of 642
Sep 28, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #176 of 642
Quote:

I'm going to need a link to substantiate your claims :)

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #177 of 642
Sep 29, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #178 of 642
  AKG not shutting down. Closing Vienna factory. Letting go of 131 employees. They had already outsourced to Slovakia and China for production. Brand stays the same under Harman Kardon etc...

http://derstandard.at/2000045063046/Kopfhoerer-AKG-Werk-in-Wien-schliesst

It's better to say that the original company is pretty much dead now and it has slowly been morphing into something else under the AKG branding due to Harman. Whether good or bad in the long term has yet to be seen. Depends on how talented the R&D department is and how much design freedom they get. The China outsourcing on the mid-tier phones was a definite negative though.

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #180 of 642
  AKG not shutting down. Closing Vienna factory. Letting go of 131 employees. They had already outsourced to Slovakia and China for production. Brand stays the same under Harman Kardon etc...

http://derstandard.at/2000045063046/Kopfhoerer-AKG-Werk-in-Wien-schliesst

That's sad news but it figures. Akg was steadily going down hill since it's was bought by Harman. Seems like the K872 is "the final masterpiece" from the austrian team and all next headphones under the brand AKG are going to be developed in China by some OEM company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back