AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Dec 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #752 of 1,546
Mine have finally arrived. Happy Christmas me:)

Will post my impressions in 3-4 days.

My impressions...NOT A REVIEW! 18 hours in.

Disclaimer - English is my 4th language. These are by far the most expensive IEMs I've ever owned, and have only ever tried one pair in the same price class (Shure 845).

Tested on my LG V30, A&K SR15 and pc+DFR for poops and giggles. Compared with RHA T20 and AKG N40. 55 years old, serious funker, Ohio Players ruined my ears 40 years ago. Otherwise disco, soul (Stax/Motown) jazz-funk, punk, anything involved with Nile...increasing classical. FLAC via own EAC rips and Tidal MQA where available. Only tried the reference filters.

Box - never cared, but this is a beauty. I'm #06535.

Tips - bought the CP245 spinfits for the N40s, they came with the N5005s. Fit well, seal well. Isolation - meh. Tried with Comply Audio Pros that I had lying around here. Much better isolation, but too much bass. Lord, it hurts to say that..

Everything else - I can't talk about recessed mids and all that stuff. Just gotta trust my ears. First - THE VOLUME CONTROL WORKS!!!! Never happened on anything I've used on Android before. Never. In spite of that I'd like to have a 3.5/no mic option but I'll ilive. Quality cable irregardless.

Anyhoo.. sound. ****ing mindblowing. Was expecting great things, but never thought they'd be so much better than the N40s. A little incoherent at first - lot of drivers going on, seemed that the bass and mids were chasing each other, but they became partners after about 6 hours and their relationship has deepened since. Bass is generally tighter than a camel's ass in a sandstorm. Unlike my other IEMs, no sibilance at all with my non-bass friendly music. Loved my T20s, but they whistled like Young Folks. N40s too, not as much.

Balanced - first time. Slightly disappointed tbh but have zero comparison, Might well be just disappointed with the SR15. Will give it more time.

Currently listening to some Deep House (Adeva - Musical Freedom), and the wife asks why I'm smiling. It's coz it sounds gud.. that good).

Output - read a lot here that they were hard to drive. Pleasantly surprised to personally not find that the case. Maybe +3 on UAPP (40ish), +8 on the SR15 (105ish). But since THE VOLUME CONTROL WORKS!!! - ....

Recommend - Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack. Never, ever, ever heard it so good. Really 28 years ago?!

End game. I'm done. These are the IEMs for me. My wife and Mastercard agree.... @GreenBow - buy them. You made me buy the N40s. Now you gotta trust me:smile_phones:

Merry Christmas all.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #753 of 1,546
Bass is generally tighter than a camel's ass in a sandstorm. .
I believe this is my favorite illustration from any impression posts to date LOL! I agree, the N5005s are awesome. Merry Christmas!

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #755 of 1,546
Is there any good deal for N5005?
I just checked on Amazon, Adorama and some other websites but I couldn't find any good deal.
RazorDog Audio. They are the ishh

Dec 21, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #758 of 1,546
Is there any good deal for N5005?
I just checked on Amazon, Adorama and some other websites but I couldn't find any good deal.
@Carlsan has a like new set in the classifieds. Prices in the classifieds can be negotiated (most of the time).

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #759 of 1,546
I bought an AKG N5005 for a really good price out of luck.

A week earlier Audeze had sales on their planar headphones. I was eyeing the LCD-MX4 on eBay and it was on sales for half off, $1500, which was a really good deal. EBay was also running an 8% eBay bucks promotion. This one seller had two of them in stock and I was thinking of pulling the trigger all day at work. I had a couple planar headphones before but I didn’t like the feel of wearing headphone. They sound great but I skipped buying it for a day and it was gone. Several days later I was kind of regretting not pulling the trigger so I was looking for a new IEM toy. I came up a one day auction for a brand new AKG N5005 for $400 plus $16 shipping. I pulled the trigger at work and I didn’t think I was going to win because it was on sales for more than half off. I won and I bought it on Friday. It arrived today, a couple days earlier than estimated. I am glad I bought it because it’s a really good IEM. Like the RHA CL2, the body is made of mostly ceramic. It came with a 3.5mm, a 2.5mm and a wireless Bluetooth cable like with the RHA CL2.

It’s my own Christmas present.
FBJQNtk.jpg

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #760 of 1,546
I bought an AKG N5005 for a really good price out of luck.

A week earlier Audeze had sales on their planar headphones. I was eyeing the LCD-MX4 on eBay and it was on sales for half off, $1500, which was a really good deal. EBay was also running an 8% eBay bucks promotion. This one seller had two of them in stock and I was thinking of pulling the trigger all day at work. I had a couple planar headphones before but I didn’t like the feel of wearing headphone. They sound great but I skipped buying it for a day and it was gone. Several days later I was kind of regretting not pulling the trigger so I was looking for a new IEM toy. I came up a one day auction for a brand new AKG N5005 for $400 plus $16 shipping. I pulled the trigger at work and I didn’t think I was going to win because it was on sales for more than half off. I won and I bought it on Friday. It arrived today, a couple days earlier than estimated. I am glad I bought it because it’s a really good IEM. Like the RHA CL2, the body is made of mostly ceramic. It came with a 3.5mm, a 2.5mm and a wireless Bluetooth cable like with the RHA CL2.

It’s my own Christmas present.
FBJQNtk.jpg
Can you please compare cl2 and n5005. Thanks.

Dec 25, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #761 of 1,546
Can you please compare cl2 and n5005. Thanks.
I am terrible at describing sound so I attempted to create frequency response graph comparing the two and SE846 with my miniDSP EARS.
There are works to be done to improve the graphs, I am not sure yet. I used the same AKG 3.5MM MMCX cable for all tests. I used foam tips for all test as well, maybe rubber tips would be better.
My preference is the N5005 as it sound like front speakers and CL2 sound like rear speakers to my ears. CL2 has a slight more clarity but the N5005 overall sound are more elevated.
I tried graphing all the filters for the N5005 and it was a pain, so I just stick with the reference sound. I have the black filter on the SE846. I have a lot more learning to do.
sSFeyUb.jpg

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #762 of 1,546
After more or less permanent use since I got them I'm even happier. Using balanced on my SR15, a great match. Surprised to find out that my previous disappointing experience with balanced was remedied by heavy SR15 use, that device really does need burning in.

Getting custom tip molds next week, thus ensuring that I can uphold my endgame promise to the wife. If one could get Shure-like isolation out of the box with these I think they'd fly off the shelves. If anyone actually stocked them..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back