AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Mar 28, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #226 of 1,548
AKG N5005s just landed. Right now I can state the vocals are outstanding (reference tips and I'm using the spinfire (???) tips that came with it).

Let me say this off the back, the packaging is stunning of some of the highest quality I've seen in totl iem packaging. I know many have scoff at the $1K price tag (I didn't pay that and you can find deal if you really want one), but these earphones are quite cheaper than when the K3003 initially came out. and the K3003 only gave you three filter pairs, some tips and nice leather wrap around case.

the N5005 is like getting three high-end earphones in one. You get a high-end 3.5 cable, a high-end 2.3 balanced cable and a high-end Bluetooth cable (plus the charger for the Bluetooth). The case (I think it's leather but haven't inspected it yet) has the plate on it with the numbers engraved to let you know in what order you iem was manufactured (or it's the serial number...lol... again I just glanced at the case). Everything feels of the highest quality. The earphones feel marvelous in my hands.

Now, one important question I will address in just a few minutes of listening: there's no harshness in in the highs that I have detected. Those who know me here know that I'm very sensitive to harsh highs. Actually, I think the K3003's had more harsh highs (that settled down a bit after some get long playing and burn-in).

Bass is there and is adequate at this point, but I definitely believe it will come out more several hours of good burn-in (again, as was the case with my K3003, which I still own). Really early sound thoughts: very very good sounding earphone with superb vocals and clarity. More to come.

Vocals on these are simply stunning, no treble harshness whatsoever to my ears. I’ve got a few hours on these now and the bass is starting to open up as it did on the K3003.

I listened for around 2 1/2 hours today with no fatigue or harshness.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #227 of 1,548
Now, one important question I will address in just a few minutes of listening: there's no harshness in in the highs that I have detected. Those who know me here know that I'm very sensitive to harsh highs.

Vocals on these are simply stunning, no treble harshness whatsoever to my ears.

Haven't heard the N5005 myself, but asking @Nomax at which volume level he tests IEMs might shed some light on the treble discrepancy.
9jpx3U3.png

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #228 of 1,548
Could you be specific about the frequencies you find too bright? (For instance is it like a 6khz peak or 10khz peak etc...)

The whole Frequency response is to bright.......

Test volume.....95-100 db

NOMAX

@james444 you are welcome on April the 14th at our Head Fi meet&greet

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #229 of 1,548
Mar 28, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #230 of 1,548
The whole Frequency response is to bright.......

Test volume.....95-100 db

NOMAX

Sure about that? Aren't you the same Nomax who drove the Orpheus 2 to audible distortion?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-the-new-orpheus.786512/page-77#post-12119709

I'm looking forward to hearing these myself sometime. If @ericp10 hears the highs as less harsh than the K3003's, they should be ok for me. Different people have different ideas of a neutral / accurate frequency response... my own is definitely less downsloping than the Oriolus.

Mar 28, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #231 of 1,548
Sure about that? Aren't you the same Nomax who drove the Orpheus 2 to audible distortion?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-the-new-orpheus.786512/page-77#post-12119709

I'm looking forward to hearing these myself sometime. If @ericp10 hears the highs as less harsh than the K3003's, they should be ok for me. Different people have different ideas of a neutral / accurate frequency response... my own is definitely less downsloping than the Oriolus.

Yes i am lol

That was one of the Prototypes.......now the ORPHEUS 2(HE 1) plays wihout Distortion,all Genres of Music and above 100 db.....

The N5005 sounds more to bright as to harsh

NOMAX

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #232 of 1,548
@james444......and Oriolus and oriolus MK2 sounds different....MK1 is to dark....MK2 is brighter(my personal favorite in this pricecategory)

NOMAX

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #233 of 1,548
I've been comparing K3003i and the N5005 (with the 3.5 cable attached) for a couple of hours. Off the back, the K3003i plays louder at lower volume (i.e. it's a bit harder to drive the N5005). I have the reference filters on the K3003 and the bass filters on the N5005. The K3003 is emitting more bass, but to be fair, I have hundreds of hours of burn-in on this earphone. I expect the N5005 to open up in the bass department too (although the bass is quite good and visceral out of the box).

Now, as for harshness, the K3003 is the clear winner. It sounds very good with a nice wide soundstage, but it can still have a bit of cooler harsh sound. On the other hand, the N5005 is a bit warmer, but it digs deep for the details. Vocals just sound quite a bit more natural and realistic with the N5005. Those extra drivers help it dig for hidden details, but the soundstage doesn't seem to be as wide as the K3003 .....yet. But the sound is there. Again, it's a bit warmer than the K3003, so you can't go into the newer one expecting to the hear an updated version of the older one. Does the N5005 sound just as good as the K3003? Yes, it does with it showing tons of potential to open up even more. And for cables and fragile parts, there is no competition. The N5005 wins by leaps and bounds. So with the sound and other goodies in the package, the N5005 is clearly the better value. I can see, however, how one might favor one sound signature over the other since both have its own sound signature. Both require a good seal, but I think you can wear the k3003 a bit shallower than you can the N5005 (I'm using large Spinfit after trying some old UE900 tips. long-bodied silicon tips seem to be the way on both of these earphones. In the price range, the only thing I can think of that sounds better than the N5005 right now is my Unique Melody Me.1 planar earphones. I think AKG has a winner here. More burn-in will tell the true tale, but I'm not disappointed at all at this point.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #234 of 1,548
Dammit, guys. I think I'm parting with some major bucks for a set of these tomorrow. Too enticing to pass up.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #235 of 1,548
I've been comparing K3003i and the N5005 (with the 3.5 cable attached) for a couple of hours. Off the back, the K3003i plays louder at lower volume (i.e. it's a bit harder to drive the N5005). I have the reference filters on the K3003 and the bass filters on the N5005. The K3003 is emitting more bass, but to be fair, I have hundreds of hours of burn-in on this earphone. I expect the N5005 to open up in the bass department too (although the bass is quite good and visceral out of the box).

Now, as for harshness, the K3003 is the clear winner. It sounds very good with a nice wide soundstage, but it can still have a bit of cooler harsh sound. On the other hand, the N5005 is a bit warmer, but it digs deep for the details. Vocals just sound quite a bit more natural and realistic with the N5005. Those extra drivers help it dig for hidden details, but the soundstage doesn't seem to be as wide as the K3003 .....yet. But the sound is there. Again, it's a bit warmer than the K3003, so you can't go into the newer one expecting to the hear an updated version of the older one. Does the N5005 sound just as good as the K3003? Yes, it does with it showing tons of potential to open up even more. And for cables and fragile parts, there is no competition. The N5005 wins by leaps and bounds. So with the sound and other goodies in the package, the N5005 is clearly the better value. I can see, however, how one might favor one sound signature over the other since both have its own sound signature. Both require a good seal, but I think you can wear the k3003 a bit shallower than you can the N5005 (I'm using large Spinfit after trying some old UE900 tips. long-bodied silicon tips seem to be the way on both of these earphones. In the price range, the only thing I can think of that sounds better than the N5005 right now is my Unique Melody Me.1 planar earphones. I think AKG has a winner here. More burn-in will tell the true tale, but I'm not disappointed at all at this point.
I tried ME1 briefly and could not get a good fit, so cannot judge. How is it better to your ears?

Have you heard the IE800s or Dita Dream or RE2000?

Thank you

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #236 of 1,548
I tried ME1 briefly and could not get a good fit, so cannot judge. How is it better to your ears?

Thank you

No, I haven't heard the IE800s or Dita Dream or RE2000? Yes, you have to fiddle around with the ME.1 to find the perfect fit. Once you get there, however, it's magic. Just the space between instrumentation and black space is incredible. Great clarity and tallness of the sound. It's very naturally sounding with nice bass (again, after finding the proper fit).

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #237 of 1,548

Thank you
For the ME1 I’m using Final Design E tips, these give me a good fit with a good seal. I struggled with other tips.

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #238 of 1,548
Now, as for harshness, the K3003 is the clear winner. It sounds very good with a nice wide soundstage, but it can still have a bit of cooler harsh sound. On the other hand, the N5005 is a bit warmer, but it digs deep for the details.

On the topic of harshness, does the N5005 exhibit any sibilance? :dizzy_face:

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #239 of 1,548

Users who are viewing this thread

Back