AKG Q701 vs V Moda M100 vs Sony MDR-1R vs Sennheiser Momentum
Mar 21, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 16
Doesn't matter about noise isolation or if its open or closed and I listen to mainly main stream and a lot of Taylor swift haha and my reason for buying is so I can listen to nice music and game with nice sound haha

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 16
Since you mentioned mainstream, I assume that consists of lots of bass. Last time I listened to mainstream songs, they had bass and beats. I remember titanium by Taylor Swift having a lot of synthesized bsas the last time I listened. Do you want the bass impact/slam? A lot of gamers that want recs usually also mention bass. 

If you're a basshead, go for the M-100. If you're planning to upgrade later and decide to listen to a wide variety of music and care about bass detail but not the quantity/slam/impact, the q701 is the way to go. The MA900 can be an alternate option. 

mdr-1r vs momentum. http://www.head-fi.org/t/647605/sony-mdr-1r-sennheiser-momentum-review

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 16
@Mr. Violin,

hahaha hilarious mixup. taylor swift is the country pop star that singing about failed relationships & loveydovey stuff. titanium by david guetta and sia. completely different genres.

however, I agree. M100 is great for bass-heavy songs (v-shaped sound siganture with nice tight, accurate bass that does not bleed into the mids & trebles) and the Sony MDR-1R has a nice colored sound that will go very well with a lot of pop music and vocals. The MDR-1R has a warm bass and mid-centric emphasis. Momentums are more technically neutral with slight bass boost. Momentums has the least quantity of bass out of those three.

You really can't go very wrong with any of those three. People wanting a more neutral sound would want to go with the Momentums (or Q701). For great bass-emphasis, M100. The MDR-1R is colored but sounds very nice and smooth with pop music.

The Q701 is open and does sound extremely good for audiophiles, but has such a weak bass, I doubt that a mainstream consumer will really be satisfied with that. Also, does not isolate noise and is not portable due to being open.

If you can demo any of them, that should be really helpful in helping you figure out what kind of sound signature you are looking for. I don't think there is one that can be universally called "better." It's really more of a preference thing with the choices you are looking at.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
@Mr. Violin,

hahaha hilarious mixup. taylor swift is the country pop star that singing about failed relationships & loveydovey stuff. titanium by david guetta and sia. completely different genres.

however, I agree. M100 is great for bass-heavy songs (v-shaped sound siganture with nice tight, accurate bass that does not bleed into the mids & trebles) and the Sony MDR-1R has a nice colored sound that will go very well with a lot of pop music and vocals. The MDR-1R has a warm bass and mid-centric emphasis. Momentums are more technically neutral with slight bass boost. Momentums has the least quantity of bass out of those three.

You really can't go very wrong with any of those three. People wanting a more neutral sound would want to go with the Momentums (or Q701). For great bass-emphasis, M100. The MDR-1R is colored but sounds very nice and smooth with pop music.

The Q701 is open and does sound extremely good for audiophiles, but has such a weak bass, I doubt that a mainstream consumer will really be satisfied with that. Also, does not isolate noise and is not portable due to being open.

If you can demo any of them, that should be really helpful in helping you figure out what kind of sound signature you are looking for. I don't think there is one that can be universally called "better." It's really more of a preference thing with the choices you are looking at.

my bad :) always thought that she wrote titanium for some reason. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 16
The Momentums are not worth the MSRP imho.  I'd rather get a LNIB HE400 in the sale sub-forum, but it depends what you're using the headphone for.  The Momentums are good for what they're designed for, i.e, portable use with no amp.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
I greatly prefer the K 701 over the M-100 for general listening, but Taylor Swift's albums [I don't have her Red album] sound pretty bad with them since the 701's are more revealing of a recording.

+1 for the M-100 in this case

I agree. Taylor swift is sucha good girl, you don't want her to be too revealing or else that's just too scandalous =P

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 16
Depends on what you're after:

Fun listening = M-100
Low volume, casual listening = MDR-1R
Scalability (like of you're looking to get more 'audiophile' in the future) = Q701

I have no idea regarding the Momentum, just didn't fit my ears and not very portable so I actually just had them on my head without any music playing.
btw. My I own both the M-100 and MDR-1R, but not the Q701. My thoughts are based on the K702 annies - I only listened to the Q701 briefly before deciding on the K702.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Different leagues of headphones there, The Q701/K701&2 is in a higher league in terms if SQ they are a flagship model with excellent clarity and detail. They are not bass headphones so for modern music you will miss out on the bass that people like. The MDR and momentum are both in the same league, Good detail and bass and nice and clean. The momentum I would say does everything a touch better, The M100 are the best looking out the bunch and the mist portable but sadly the worse sounding. If you use them for dub step and other music that doesn't have vocals they are fantastic but when it comes to everything else they just sound a mess. The bass is very big, the midrange is so pulled back that it just sounds a mess. I would look into the Mr Speakers mad dog headphone, amazing clarity, Powerful bass it's very well rounded and is a step into high fi at a low price.

Generally my sentiments regarding the Q/K 701/2. They might not me to everyone's taste as the others might be a little more entertaining. There's also the question of actually driving them properly - the others on the list were designed to be driven by an iPhone or iPod.

For the record, I don't find the M-100's as bad as you do. The mids aren't really that recessed and while the bass is far from the wubb wubb wubb I imagined it would be. But hey, that's me. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 16
This is kind of a weird poll because the Q701s are open cans, and feel out of place here. That said, if you don't mind the slight bump at 2KHz, then Q701s are pretty neutral and detailed. I love my pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back