AKG Q701 vs. Sennheiser HD598 vs. Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm
Feb 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

floeezy

100+ Head-Fier
(I've already posted in the recommendation thread but my post seems to have been lost in the onslaught of other replies.)

I'm looking to get an open-back headphone in the $200-300 range. So far I've narrowed it down to the AKG Q701, Sennheiser HD598, and Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm.

Use: At home.

Priorities: The 3 main attributes I would be looking for are (ranked in value) comfort > soundstage > bass. I'm coming from a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780s which have great bass, but so-so comfort and soundstage.

Music Genres: I mainly listen to electronic music (trance, house, electro, drum and bass), but also to rock, classical, and ambient (chillout, post-rock).

Source: iPod touch 4g and Asus N56VZ laptop (soundcard: RealTek ALC663)

Amplifier: I have a Meier-Audio Corda Headsix portable amp to drive the headphones I would get; I've asked around and apparently this amp should be fine to drive these headphones.

Out of these headphones, which one should I get? Or are there other ones I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Just noticed that the DT990 is over $300, but if it's worth its price, I'll get it.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 11
Shameless thread bump. I would like an answer to this question, also. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 11
From experience, Q701's lack the bass for electronic music. They have a huge sound-stage and are detailed but are quite flat and do not bring out the fun in electronic music.  Try and find a set of used Denon D2000's. Comfortable, decent sound-stage for a closed design and has allot of sub bass. They do electronic and rock well, classical not so much.

There are a couple on sale in the forum in your price range.

I do not have any experience with the 598 or 990.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 11
598's have amazing comfort and soundstage, but if you are looking for hard hitting bass impact you would probably be disappointed. 598 has tight and accurate bass, but not a strong bass impact, so if you are listening to a lot of hip-hop, rock, dub step you might not be happy .

Haven't heard the Q701's or dt990's, but I recently sold my 598's and bought a pair of DT880's so I can compare them to the 598's for you. Dt880's are also amazingly comfortable and soundstage is comparable to 598's. DT880's have fairly flat frequency response like the 598's but give me the bass presence I that I felt was missing from 598's. Bass is not shake your jaw hard, but very good. Better all around can. I also find DT880's more detailed, dynamic and all around more pleasurable. 598's are great headphones as well, but to my ears the Beyers have better bass and are the better headphone overall.

Like I said I haven't heard the Dt990 but from what I have read they have stronger bass impact then DT 880's, but also more recessed mids giving them a more V shaped sound signature. So take that for what you will. I personally love the mids on the Dt880's and wouldn't give that up for more bass, but everyone has different preferences. Maybe someone else could attest to hire big of a difference In the mids there really is. There are also lots of Dt880 vs Dt990 threads on here.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 11
Nsingh, if you need any further advice, I ended up buying the HiFiMAN HE-400. They do cost $400, but I'm really happy with them and I think they are worth it. IMO, they excel at EDM and that is no easy feat for open headphones. If I were to describe them in one word it would be "detailed".

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Nsingh, if you need any further advice, I ended up buying the HiFiMAN HE-400. They do cost $400, but I'm really happy with them and I think they are worth it. IMO, they excel at EDM and that is no easy feat for open headphones. If I were to describe them in one word it would be "detailed".

Interesting choice. I didn't even think to consider those. Did you get a chance to compare those with the 990? If so, how do the mids and comfort level compare?

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 11
I never did compare the HE-400 with the 990 because no store near me carries them and I was told the HE-400 were a better choice for me. However, this is a good thread that has some information: DT990 600 ohm vs. HE-400.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 11
That's understandable, and I'm sorry you don't have a local music store to try them...good thing for Amazon, right? 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for that link, btw. Last question, are you using them unamped, or did you buy an amp for them?

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
That's understandable, and I'm sorry you don't have a local music store to try them...good thing for Amazon, right? 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for that link, btw. Last question, are you using them unamped, or did you buy an amp for them?

I would love to try the DT990 but I would lose money on the shipping front (sending it here and back). I do have an amp that I bought years ago called the Meier-Audio Corda Headsix (It was a Head-Fi support sales-action). The Headsix is a great little amp that I am happy with and it drives the HE-400 well. I also listened to the HE-400 straight out of my iPod and it sounded just fine. The amp just gives it a little more clarity and detail. I hope you find a headphone that suits your needs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back