AKG Q701 vs AKG k271 mkII
Oct 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AuTra

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, my Q701s have just came in the mail today and let me tell you, they sound awful. The treble is way to much. It pierces my ears and there's no low end. The mids aren't even there.

My setup isn't too great. I've been using the AKG k271 mk2's for the past few years with the ASUS Xonar DG. The sound I've been getting from this setup was pretty decent considering how cheap it was. Now that I've upgraded my cans, I'm sure the Xonar DG cannot properly drive these Q701s. Plugging the Q701s in for the first time and hearing it on my soundcard was terrible. My k271s sounded way better.

So now I need to look for a better setup so that I can get the best sound out of my Q701s. However, after reading all about DAC/amps, my question to you guys is, "what's the difference between a soundcard and dac/amp combo?" What's even the point of a soundcard if you have a dac/amp?

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 4
The Q701 needs burn-in. It's going to tone down the shrill high's and mellow out the sound a little bit. Burn it in over a few days and see if you notice any differences.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 4
If he's having issues with the treble, most likely i's that the Xonor DG can't properly drive them well enough.
If I drive them straight from a weak source I can get the same experience and a much thinner sound.

If the mids are really thin and not very full sounding, then this is also due to inadequate amping.

One reason I don't use the Q701 without an amp is that it's much more fatiguing or harsh. Bass suffers too.

I doubt burn in would help him much. Even out of the box my Q701 never had "shrill highs" or any kind of fatiguing treble.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
If he's having issues with the treble, most likely i's that the Xonor DG can't properly drive them well enough.
If I drive them straight from a weak source I can get the same experience and a much thinner sound.

If the mids are really thin and not very full sounding, then this is also due to inadequate amping.

One reason I don't use the Q701 without an amp is that it's much more fatiguing or harsh. Bass suffers too.

I doubt burn in would help him much. Even out of the box my Q701 never had "shrill highs" or any kind of fatiguing treble.

Thanks for that explanation. I had an E10 before but the sound quality was bad to be honest. It did a good job in amping my headphones however. I see that you also thought the same as well.

I've got 400 dollars to spend so should I spend that on a really good soundcard or dac/amp? And again, I don't really understand what's the difference between the two. Apparently, the only difference is that soundcards are internal instead of external?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back