AKG Q701, Hifiman He-4, Grado RS2i, Beyerdynamic DT880, Denon AH-D2000, Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD600 - Need Help!
Nov 16, 2011 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Darko9989

Head-Fier
Ok I seem to have limited myself too much on my last post. I had originally wanted opinions on the AKG Q701 vs the Ultrasone Pro 900 but everyone seemed to think there was no comparison between the two and that the AKG was clearly the winner. I have now added more options to the list and would still love to have some opinions on which of these you would pick and why. Once again I would love some input from people who have either owned or listened to these before. Please be as detailed as possible because I do not have a chance to listen to these in person before I buy them. This thread will play a large part in what I choose to buy. 

I will mainly be using these at home but I will also occasionally use them on the go. I realize that some of these are fairly large but I am perfectly alright with the size even in transit. Sound isolation is not the most important thing. I wont sacrifice sound quality. I have other headphones and earbuds when listening around other people. If you know of any closed-back phones with equal sound quality of those listed above let me know. As far as the type of music and sound I prefer Rock, Blues, Jazz, Classical, Instrumental...etc (no Hip Hop or Rap). I love lots of detail but would also like a non-fatiguing sound that I can listen to for long periods. I will probably be using the FiiO E9 Desktop amp and the FiiO E7 Portable amp. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 50
Heya,

Based on what you like, the PRO900 would be a disaster for you. The PRO900 is great for EDM and it's sub-types. But not for much else. The Q701 would indeed suit your genres better. But even then, there are other/better options.

The HD600 & HD650 are great for your needs. The question is, do you want one more neutral and a little more bright (the HD600) or one that is way darker, more laid back, a little more bassy and smooth (the HD650).
The Beyer DT880 would also be excellent for you, much like the Q701, but with a little more oumph in the low end making it pleasing.
The Denon D2000 would do very well for you as well if you wanted a closed headphone capable of dropping 30hz bass tones like it's easy at the same volume as 300hz, making it excellent with sub-bass.
The Hifiman HE-300 would be another contender, similar to the HD600, but more lively.
The Fischer Audio FA-002 should also be considered here, much like the other open neutral headphones, an excellent choice.
Also, consider the Fischer Audio FA-003 and Shure SRH840 for the same reasons.
The Grado would also serve you well for the most part, if you can stand on-ear pads. Definitely consider it, if you can be bothered with on-ear.

I have most of those headphones, so my choice is simply to get them all.

Very best,

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 50

Quote:
Heya,

Based on what you like, the PRO900 would be a disaster for you. The PRO900 is great for EDM and it's sub-types. But not for much else. The Q701 would indeed suit your genres better. But even then, there are other/better options.

The HD600 & HD650 are great for your needs. The question is, do you want one more neutral and a little more bright (the HD600) or one that is way darker, more laid back, a little more bassy and smooth (the HD650).
The Beyer DT880 would also be excellent for you, much like the Q701, but with a little more oumph in the low end making it pleasing.
The Denon D2000 would do very well for you as well if you wanted a closed headphone capable of dropping 30hz bass tones like it's easy at the same volume as 300hz, making it excellent with sub-bass.
The Hifiman HE-300 would be another contender, similar to the HD600, but more lively.
The Fischer Audio FA-002 should also be considered here, much like the other open neutral headphones, an excellent choice.
Also, consider the Fischer Audio FA-003 and Shure SRH840 for the same reasons.
The Grado would also serve you well for the most part, if you can stand on-ear pads. Definitely consider it, if you can be bothered with on-ear.

I have most of those headphones, so my choice is simply to get them all.

Very best,

As much as I would love to get them all unfortunately I doubt I will ever have the money to do so. Of the HD600 and HD650 i believe I would like the HD650's better...according to your assessment. I am still torn between the AKG and the DT880. A lot of people seem to group them together but do emphasize on the lower end of the DT880. As for the D2000, bass is not all that important. Is the sound quality through the middle and high end up to par with the rest of these? I had not looked at the Hifiman HE-300, only the Hifiman HE-4, are they similar in sound? The only way I would get the Grado's is if the sound quality was phenomenal. I would prefer to have over the ear phones but the Grado over-ears are out of my price range. I had not looked at the Fischer stuff before but I will definitely look at them. I know you have them all but if you had to pick just one what would it be? (for my type of style)

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 50
Could you list any headphones you've owned and enjoyed in the past?  Also maybe some more sound characteristics you'd like in a headphone?

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 50

Quote:
Could you list any headphones you've owned and enjoyed in the past?  Also maybe some more sound characteristics you'd like in a headphone?

I have owned the Sennheiser HD 515, the Sennheiser HD 558, and the AKG K142HD, I have also owned other headsets that are not worth mentioning. Just cheap ones. Although the ones I have owned are "good" I am now looking to move up to the "great" category. I have set my budget at $500 or less. I know there are plenty of amazing headphones north of that price but at this time I cannot put that much money into them. As far as the characteristics go, I just want a headset that will allow me to enjoy my music for long periods at the highest possible quality. In the thread header I went into detail of everything I like. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 50
i have Q701, DT990, HD558 (with the foam mod done), HD25-1 ii, and currently my go-to headphone at home is the DT990... it's just more colourful.  the Q701 sounds very reference next to it.  the HD558 is just so-so and good for pop genre to me. 

I would like to know what amp you are using along with your purchase... because it might play a crucial part in it... my 990 is 600ohm and i know most portable player won't push it to its best potential

for HD650 you best to have an amp along with it.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 50

Quote:
i have Q701, DT990, HD558 (with the foam mod done), HD25-1 ii, and currently my go-to headphone at home is the DT990... it's just more colourful.  the Q701 sounds very reference next to it.  the HD558 is just so-so and good for pop genre to me. 

I would like to know what amp you are using along with your purchase... because it might play a crucial part in it... my 990 is 600ohm and i know most portable player won't push it to its best potential

for HD650 you best to have an amp along with it.

I will probably be using the FiiO E9 Desktop amp and the FiiO E7 Portable amp. Also, is reference a bad thing? By saying it sounds very reference aren't you saying that i presents original studio quality?

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 50

Quote:
I will probably be using the FiiO E9 Desktop amp and the FiiO E7 Portable amp. Also, is reference a bad thing? By saying it sounds very reference aren't you saying that i presents original studio quality?

You might want to look at the Fiio E10 instead of the E7.  I've read multiple comparison that favor the E10 over the E7:
http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-must-have-the-fiio-e10-usb-dacamp/
http://headfonics.com/2011/10/fiio-e10-review-a-lot-of-boxes-have-been-ticked/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575084/impression-fiio-e10

About sounding "reference".  I'm not sure why it's used as a con, but maybe it isn't good for pop/mainstream music.  For acoustic, I would think its what you want - to sound like your they're hearing the musicians play versus a colored less natural sound.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 50

Quote:
You might want to look at the Fiio E10 instead of the E7.  I've read multiple comparison that favor the E10 over the E7:
http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-must-have-the-fiio-e10-usb-dacamp/
http://headfonics.com/2011/10/fiio-e10-review-a-lot-of-boxes-have-been-ticked/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575084/impression-fiio-e10

About sounding "reference".  I'm not sure why it's used as a con, but maybe it isn't good for pop/mainstream music.  For acoustic, I would think its what you want - to sound like your they're hearing the musicians play versus a colored less natural sound.

Will the E10 dock with the E9 like the E7 will? Not an important function but still nice. And I agree I would prefer the natural sound over the colored sound.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 50

Quote:
Will the E10 dock with the E9 like the E7 will? Not an important function but still nice. And I agree I would prefer the natural sound over the colored sound.

No, the E10 doesn't dock with it.  You go from the E10's line out, to the E9's line in with a little interconnect cable.  I'd would take the improved sound quality of the E10 over the docking ability of the E7. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 50
Out of your choices i would choose HD650,very good for rock and blues ,and has a large sound stage for classical music,also the pro 900 is a very good phone for rock and blues ,akg q701 would do very well with classical but dose not have a hard enough punch in the bass for rock and blues ,ie not enough mid and upper bass ,great sub bass though. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #15 of 50

Quote:
Out of your choices i would choose HD650,very good for rock and blues ,and has a large sound stage for classical music,also the pro 900 is a very good phone for rock and blues ,akg q701 would do very well with classical but dose not have a hard enough punch in the bass for rock and blues ,ie not enough mid and upper bass ,great sub bass though. 

I have also heard that the sound stage on the Sennheisers is not that great. Especially compared to a set like the Q701's. Not sure if this is true, it is just what I have read. Also, everyone else on here has told me to steer completely clear of the Pro 900s for my type of listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back