AKG Q701 authenticity: am I getting a fake?
Jan 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
They don't have much bass compared to TF10s, so they don't have much of a sound that makes people go "wow" at first listen.  

+1

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #17 of 31
Try asking in here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/270

I know Chris J, specifically owns both

It's been too long since I heard the DT880s, I can't give a fair comparison anymore  =\  (Damn you memoryyy!!)

Actually, going of memory
tongue.gif
,  the DT880 and DT990 bass seemed pretty similar to me
confused.gif

Something's off with your hearing. :D

The DT990 has a considerable boost in bass over the DT880s. :p

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
Something's off with your hearing.
biggrin.gif

The DT990 has a considerable boost in bass over the DT880s.
tongue.gif

Ya, I think it was because at the time I was A-B-ing them with the AD700s, so was like "What OMG BASSS!!"

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #19 of 31
Yeah, coming from the AD700, the DT880s bass is superpowered. Not to say the DT880 is lacking in bass. It isn't. I'd be happy with the Q701 if they had similar bass. I'd give the DT880s a 7/10 in bass quantity, 10/10 in quality. the DT990 has 9/10 quantity, 9.5/10 quality.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
Ok, now I see that your picture is of a different side of the box, here, so you are probably ok.

The 12ft should be 20ft, also the 1/4" connector is listed as 3.5mm, should be 6.5mm.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 31
It's hard to believe there would be much profit in counterfeiting Q701s, but who knowns, stranger thing have happened. In stead of relying on Head-Fier's guesses and speculation you should contact AKG with your concerns, they can give you a definitive yes or no answer. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
It's hard to believe there would be much profit in counterfeiting Q701s, but who knowns, stranger thing have happened. In stead of relying on Head-Fier's guesses and speculation you should contact AKG with your concerns, they can give you a definitive yes or no answer. 

I agree contact AKG,
Could be AKG was sent boxes with misprints at the factory, but did not notice, or the misprints were so minor that AKG decided just to use the boxes anyway.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #24 of 31
I just received the same misprint on my Q701 box. 

I am only worried because my Xonar DG seems to run these just fine, I prefer to listen to low volume so I leave the sound card on the lowest impedance setting and my computer is outputting at 50-75%. Im only worried that I have a fake after reading all the stories of how hard these are suppose to be to run. 

I just tested it on my blackberry playbook and I get decent volume without cranking it to max. 

Also, I got the black Q701 and it came with 2 green cables. I thought the longer one was suppose to be black? 

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
I just received the same misprint on my Q701 box. 

Also, I got the black Q701 and it came with 2 green cables. I thought the longer one was suppose to be black? 

My box is the same, I wouldn't be concerned.

Also, it seems sometimes they have a black cable, but most of the time they have 2 green cables....

How hard they are to run is a little blown out of proportion.  I wouldn't worry.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #26 of 31

I've seen production products with misprints on the silk-screening that end up at market. It's not a fool-proof process, but it's usually fairly close. I've never heard of fake 701/702s, and I agree with the amplification statements to a point - they require more power than your average headphones, but they aren't a mythical beast that requires the power of Gandalf the White to properly tame. 

What would concern me, is the mismatch on the serial numbers; if you purchased these "new" I would say you certainly just got taken for a ride - if you purchased them "used" then it's probably a simple case of mixing up packaging (or having to find replacement packaging) before sending the product out. 

Quote:
I agree contact AKG,
Could be AKG was sent boxes with misprints at the factory, but did not notice, or the misprints were so minor that AKG decided just to use the boxes anyway.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #28 of 31
while I will still be upgrading sources and amplification/dac sometime in the future, the Q701 runs just fine off my Samsung Galaxy S, Blackberry playbook, Apple Ipod Nano, and off the Xonar DG on my computer. 

I don't know if maybe I have sensitive hearing, but currently running them at 50% on my nano and its plenty of volume. There is bass, there is soundstage and separation. 

These things are amazing clear for what I have had experience with. I'm addicted to the open can sound starting from Sennheiser PX-100ii (I felt the bass is a bit overwhelming) to the Superlux 668 (my only gripe was that the phones are a little small for my big ears) - to the Q701 which is a little bigger, more comfortable, and a lot more open. 

I just ran them out of my brother's multi thousand dollar Hifi system headphone receiver and I think the bass went up a bit, but ill A/B it some more later. The fun part of the Q701 I noticed was that you can psych yourself out between speaker output and headphone output when you are standing right next to it (the nano's headphone jack still works when you are using a LOD)

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #30 of 31
When you guys opened the box the green cables for me had some black marks. Did you guys notice this? I saw in this forums some one else posted pics of that green cable and it was the same black marks.... Anyone else have this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back