AKG new headphone K545?
Nov 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #301 of 1,753
All I know is that these are my favorites now. The highs seem great to me. Some headphones have trebles that seem like an over sharpened photoshop pictures... they seem extra detailed, but harsh and unnatural. They do seem slightly better with a brighter DAC, but they've sounded good on everything I've tried them on, and they sound natural.

Thanks dweaver for creating the thread. I wouldn't have bought these without the review! 

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #302 of 1,753
K, I know what you mean. I don't really like emphasized upper miss/lower highs. I'm really looking for a flat headphone, perhaps with the frequency graph looking like: (if you know a little algebra)
-1/5x when x>0
F(x)={ 0 when x<0

Sort of like that, with slightly emphasized bass/lower mids with the rest being flat. I guess I have open headphones for an even more flat response.

To me that is what the K545 is like. I used to like an upper mid emphasis but now find it fatiguing and find it doesn't allow for a volume increase as it starts to hurt at a bit louder volume. With the K545 I can turn up the volume a bit easier if I want to emphasise the bass a bit more (something I only need to do occasionally with just my portable devices as an amp makes the bass more emphasized and present without needing a volume adjustment), or when I just want to enjoy a song at a bit louder volume.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #303 of 1,753
Thanks for the compliment jwong, and that is a great analogy of why I like the K545!

BTW I did not start this thread, that distinction goes to bourdieu, who I would like to thank as his post was what alerted me to this new headphone and started the ball rolling for me :)

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #304 of 1,753
K, I know what you mean. I don't really like emphasized upper miss/lower highs. I'm really looking for a flat headphone, perhaps with the frequency graph looking like: (if you know a little algebra)
-1/5x when x>0
F(x)={ 0 when x<0

Sort of like that, with slightly emphasized bass/lower mids with the rest being flat. I guess I have open headphones for an even more flat response.

I was in the same boat. Returned these and kept the k551 as those really immerse me. It's actually my "test" - being that if I listen at work and if I unconsciously stop what I am doing to enjoy the music, they are a keeper. Found that happen with 550 and 551. Not so much the 545. I found the highs not so detailed and a bit rolled off in favor of the bumped/forward mids and more impactful bass on the 545s. More of a test? Find a song I'm not too fond of and see if I'll keep listening just to hear the instruments, separation, soundstage and dynamics... Then it's really a keeper!! :)

I am a huge fan of a mostly flat response as well and that's how I found these to be but YMMV.

Isn't that what makes this such a cool (and pricy) hobby?

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #305 of 1,753
I think it's cool that AKG has two headphones that can meet two different signatures that are based on the same core design elements physically. It would be cooler if they could have made one headphone that did both but I suspect it's not possible or they would have done it. Actually I guess they have done it in a sense with the K712/812 headphones but then you have a different issue (isolation) to contend with.

Fortunately for me I enjoy the K545 enough I don't need another model and is sounds like Chudaliscious is in the same boat with her K551's

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #306 of 1,753
I was in the same boat. Returned these and kept the k551 as those really immerse me. It's actually my "test" - being that if I listen at work and if I unconsciously stop what I am doing to enjoy the music, they are a keeper. Found that happen with 550 and 551. Not so much the 545. I found the highs not so detailed and a bit rolled off in favor of the bumped/forward mids and more impactful bass on the 545s. More of a test? Find a song I'm not too fond of and see if I'll keep listening just to hear the instruments, separation, soundstage and dynamics... Then it's really a keeper!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I am a huge fan of a mostly flat response as well and that's how I found these to be but YMMV.

Isn't that what makes this such a cool (and pricy) hobby?

I don't need to read stuff like the above - not good for my new found AKG lust lol.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #308 of 1,753
I tried the K545 pads on a friends pair of Denon HP700's because he was looking for a more comfortable ear pad (fit perfectly, now have to wait and see if AKG will sell the pads as parts). I was able to then have a listen afterwards.

The K545 was much more balanced in my opinion with more controlled bass and more detailed mids, treble was also not as hot. I was a bit worried I would like the HP700 as I used to own that headphone. But I prefer the K545. BUT it does point out that the K545 will likely not satisfy a bass head or those who prefer a v shaped signature.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #311 of 1,753
I love the turquoise color, good for you :)

I hope you have no issues with this pair.

I finally received my android cable and have had no issues with mine.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #313 of 1,753
The inner dimension of the K545 is just about exactly the same as the K550. All it's size reduction is due to the thinness of the pad. This makes them slightly less isolating but very close to the same for comfort. If you look at my pictures in my review and use my glasses as a gage you get a good idea of the difference in size.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #314 of 1,753
Thanks! Having had both the black and the turquoise, I would say that the turquoise the the better looking one in my opinion. Also, elaborating on the pad size, it is definitely over ear. Its roughly the size of a doughnut (with a larger hole of course)

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #315 of 1,753
  Unboxing! Part 2!

Special thanks to the awesome AKG person who allowed me to switch my replacement order from black to turquoise

since black is backordered to December.

FWIW, Magnolia Home Theater stores have the black model in stock.  The turquoise looks pretty nice though.  I'd personally like to see the orange(copper) one.  The only one I haven't seen in person so far.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back