AKG K812 Pro
Feb 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,261 of 4,825

Why do folks always put their hand on their mouth when listening to headphones?

Good question, unconsciously I have the same tendency...

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #1,262 of 4,825
In some cases, to keep from vomiting?

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,264 of 4,825
In this case, to prevent the jaw from dropping on the floor? :)

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,265 of 4,825
In this case, to prevent the jaw from dropping on the floor?
smily_headphones1.gif

+1
atsmile.gif

It's basically to prevent this from happening:

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #1,266 of 4,825
I take it as sign to others that the person is concentrating and doesn't want to be disturbed.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #1,268 of 4,825
I tested the other day the K812, and for reference, compared it against the Fostex TH600 (the TH900 was not around).
The TH600 is much easier to drive and sounds more consistent across different amplification. It is also better for portable use cases, sounds open, dynamic, less boosted than the TH900, to me it seemed almost perfectly balanced for a closed can, except a bit muddy in the lowest base compared with the K812 (which may or may not be cured by proper amplification, I don't know).
However, the K812 sounded more extended and clear in the bass, with less boom and bloom, more transparent and with more treble (without being aggressive at all). It was very musical without being dry, or boosted, or treble tilted. Very good sound stage, too. It's pity there was no Sennheiser HD800 around, it would have been an interesting comparison, since they seem to sound very similar, except the K812 sounded always smooth. Perhaps the HD800 is still better by a notch, but that is only from memory. The price of the HD800 is considerably lower here. The lowest price good sounding amp with the HD800 I found is the Furutech ADL Esprit, probably I would choose that combination over a K812 with a lesser amp. Nevertheless, it's the best AKG so far and I am sure many people will choose it over the HD800 - I can see the merits in being always musical and natural, as opposed to the HD800 which is very picky about amps and can sound etched with some recordings. Honestly the price is too high, following the current trend in headphones that you pay for the price.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,269 of 4,825
Feb 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,270 of 4,825
  I tested the other day the K812, and for reference, compared it against the Fostex TH600 (the TH900 was not around).
The TH600 is much easier to drive and sounds more consistent across different amplification. It is also better for portable use cases, sounds open, dynamic, less boosted than the TH900, to me it seemed almost perfectly balanced for a closed can, except a bit muddy in the lowest base compared with the K812 (which may or may not be cured by proper amplification, I don't know).
However, the K812 sounded more extended and clear in the bass, with less boom and bloom, more transparent and with more treble (without being aggressive at all). It was very musical without being dry, or boosted, or treble tilted. Very good sound stage, too. It's pity there was no Sennheiser HD800 around, it would have been an interesting comparison, since they seem to sound very similar, except the K812 sounded always smooth. Perhaps the HD800 is still better by a notch, but that is only from memory. The price of the HD800 is considerably lower here. The lowest price good sounding amp with the HD800 I found is the Furutech ADL Esprit, probably I would choose that combination over a K812 with a lesser amp. Nevertheless, it's the best AKG so far and I am sure many people will choose it over the HD800 - I can see the merits in being always musical and natural, as opposed to the HD800 which is very picky about amps and can sound etched with some recordings. Honestly the price is too high, following the current trend in headphones that you pay for the price.

Other than the price, what is other significant drawbacks can you find? I like that there seems to be a consensus so far of how musical and balanced this is. That seems to be what AKG is aiming for, the most neutral sound without being too analytical for its own good.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,272 of 4,825
  Other than the price, what is other significant drawbacks can you find? I like that there seems to be a consensus so far of how musical and balanced this is. That seems to be what AKG is aiming for, the most neutral sound without being too analytical for its own good.

Other than the price? The price. I have not heard a +$1000 headphone that wasn't a waste of money in the long run. Or put another way, I haven't heard a +$1000 headphone that didn't have a sound that I could pretty much get for way under $1000. I am hoping the Oppo might be the first expensive value-for-money headphone I hear....the headphone that makes me stop buying headphones. Maybe the K812 is also that...I need to hear it. But I get the feeling it ain't worth the dough, again.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,273 of 4,825

Price will eventually go down, but the sound will stay good. No real complaints, I'd wish for a bit more body and stage perhaps, but for that I have my speakers. Without direct comparison with its sibling HD800, and other possible competitors in price range it's hard to say whether that price is justified. As I said, from memory I'd still likely choose a HD800 with a right amp over it, or even better a Stax. Nevertheless, the sound was close enough to the level of the best reference headphones of today (Stax 009, 007 Mk1, 507, HD800, LCD3) to enjoy every kind of music I've tried. One has to set the mind this will be enough, otherwise it would be possible to pick this or that area which competitors may do better, but if one cares less about continuous comparisons than for just enjoying the music, it's a keeper. Just make sure you compare it at least to one of the above before you buy.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,274 of 4,825
5-75000 HZ!
DUAL BALANCED 3 FT CABLE!

REGARDS NOMAX

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,275 of 4,825

Users who are viewing this thread

Back