AKG K812 Pro
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,216 of 4,825

Yes I'm willing to compromise, but only to same degree. I mean for me hps are first a studio tool, this means I will not EQ them and then try to compensate for my dark mix.

You can EQ the HD-800 if you want, but this can cause a butterfly effect in the sound dynamics to some songs especially after today loudness war that most of the music is mastered minimum 6-to-9 dbs over just to fit the "industrial standards".   

How about if you use one of those dummy heads that has a microphone in the ear-canal, and you then use that together with an EQ to make the actual perceived frequency response ruler flat? Couldn't that be interesting?

I suppose the opposite approach would be to master mainstream pop music on a pair of ATH50's or apple ear-buds since that's how 90% of people will be listening to music...

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,217 of 4,825
Yes, I found them tizzy too, and wrote it in my review in the gear section. It is the k812 greatest drawback. But nevertheless it is still an excellent phone. Only not for the European price of €1500, that's €300 more than that HD 800, that is as good as the AKG.

If you still find it an excellent phone, then it's tizziness is minor or way outweighed by the positive qualities of the can. That feedback is something I am looking for in order to get a bigger perspective of the headphone should I get in the future. Good thing that it does not cost like that here in the US. I will wait for more impressions. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy my JH3a-JH16 Pro FP which is, as I can imagine, quite a different set of cans compared to the K812s in many ways.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,218 of 4,825

How about if you use one of those dummy heads that has a microphone in the ear-canal, and you then use that together with an EQ to make the actual perceived frequency response ruler flat? Couldn't that be interesting?

I suppose the opposite approach would be to master mainstream pop music on a pair of ATH50's or apple ear-buds since that's how 90% of people will be listening to music...

And if you're a good producer, you'd be foolish to ignore the explosion in premium headphones - which far surpass the entire hi-fi industry.  And yes current mainstream music needs to pickup their game, agreed.

These sorts of posts do nothing to help consolidate the market.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,219 of 4,825

We should definitely offer to Sennheiser to use those dummy heads and make flat frequency response hps. In the past 3 years was some rumors around here about Sennheiser making a studio version of the HD-800, but today looks like those rumors are vanished.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #1,222 of 4,825
  If you still find it an excellent phone, then it's tizziness is minor or way outweighed by the positive qualities of the can.

It has been my experience that you can only overlook flaws for so long....they eventually get to you and become an annoying distraction. Witness the HD800.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #1,223 of 4,825
Not tizzy with bha1 and mdac

I would say less tizzy with the Bryston but still more than HE-6 or the Stax Lambdas and SR007.

So it's not totally eliminated with the bha1?

It has been my experience that you can only overlook flaws for so long....they eventually get to you and become an annoying distraction. Witness the HD800.

You are absolutely right. I parted ways with my K702 because of what I then considered minor flaws but became unbearable in the end such as its very well extended albeit anemic bass. So far, it seems that those who have posted impressions are satisfied with K812's bass. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,226 of 4,825
No, but compared it in depth to the HD800 that is way above the HD700. But if you prefer the lesser Sennheiser because of its coloration the K812 is not for you.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,227 of 4,825

So it's not totally eliminated with the bha1?

You are absolutely right. I parted ways with my K702 because of what I then considered minor flaws but became unbearable in the end such as its very well extended albeit anemic bass. So far, it seems that those who have posted impressions are satisfied with K812's bass. 

I sold my Q701 because of the strident treble, anemic bass, and thin mids, and the too distant presentation. The K812 has none of these flaws. The treble soars like silk, the mids are nice and full, without being too thick (LCD-2) and the bass is bottomless and hits deep, fast, and with authority, but not planar slam. There is no real big drawback, maybe minor quibble someone might have, or worse case they might get a lemon pair with distortion and ringing.

The biggest issue for me right now is the build quality, or the lack of quality control on mine. I noticed 2 small flaws. There is a splotch of glue on the inner plastic ring, underneath the earpad cushion. I tried cleaning this off using a soft wet towel, but it's hard as a rock. The second issue is that my right side earpad is rotated about an inch counter-clock wise from where the left side is. So I took off the pads and remounted them, same result, Swtiched pads to different side, and the issue still remained, still off alignment. I then noticed that that plastic attachment ring was mounted an inch or two counter-clockwise to the cup, so that is the cause of the problem and there is no solution unless I rip the plastic ring off and cup and somehow reattach it correctly.

I got dissapointed, contacted Brian at RazorDog and he's taking care of me 100%. I'm shipping mine back and he's sending out a replacement pair as soon as he gets some in stock. So I'm very sad, but also happy about how RazorDog is dealing with my issue. Thumbs up for Brian and another good reason to buy from him.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #1,230 of 4,825

I sold my Q701 because of the strident treble, anemic bass, and thin mids, and the too distant presentation. The K812 has none of these flaws. The treble soars like silk, the mids are nice and full, without being too thick (LCD-2) and the bass is bottomless and hits deep, fast, and with authority, but not planar slam. There is no real big drawback, maybe minor quibble someone might have, or worse case they might get a lemon pair with distortion and ringing.

The biggest issue for me right now is the build quality, or the lack of quality control on mine. I noticed 2 small flaws. There is a splotch of glue on the inner plastic ring, underneath the earpad cushion. I tried cleaning this off using a soft wet towel, but it's hard as a rock. The second issue is that my right side earpad is rotated about an inch counter-clock wise from where the left side is. So I took off the pads and remounted them, same result, Swtiched pads to different side, and the issue still remained, still off alignment. I then noticed that that plastic attachment ring was mounted an inch or two counter-clockwise to the cup, so that is the cause of the problem and there is no solution unless I rip the plastic ring off and cup and somehow reattach it correctly.

I got dissapointed, contacted Brian at RazorDog and he's taking care of me 100%. I'm shipping mine back and he's sending out a replacement pair as soon as he gets some in stock. So I'm very sad, but also happy about how RazorDog is dealing with my issue. Thumbs up for Brian and another good reason to buy from him.

The lack of quality control could be the deal breaker for me. I agree that it's disappointing to have these problems especially for a TOTL headphone although I have to say that it does look very nice. Overall, I think that, based on your sonic impressions, I will like the sound of the K812 but I will wait for the teething problems to get sorted out. Thanks M-13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back