AKG K812 Pro
Feb 1, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #873 of 4,825
Like always, Piotr did a great job, thanks for posting the link, however, original text will offer much deeper emotional aspect, which you simply can not get through Google translate.
Also, just pity he didn't had K1000 and Sonic Pearl around this time, maybe he will update his review later, would be great.

THX

Quote:
  http://hifiphilosophy.com/recenzja-akg-k812/

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #878 of 4,825
  In my experience product variation does indeed exist in flagship headphones. The Beyerdynamic T1 is one of the worst offenders in this respect. Also the Edition 8.

I have no doubt that is the case, and if it is so, it is reasonable to expect/suspect that review pairs would have been 'hand picked' by the manufacturers. While this is somewhat disconcerting, it seems odd that Tyll received one of the worse pairs? (if he, in fact, did)

I recall an article in a car magazine a long time ago by a respectable auto journalist who claimed that Ferrari used to use different cars for each performance test - one for the dyno, one for 1/4 mile and one for slalom. Now THAT'S scary. I wonder how much of that goes on in the world of headphones/hi-fi, specially when quite a lot of us buy gear based on web site reviews.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #879 of 4,825
In my experience product variation does indeed exist in flagship headphones. The Beyerdynamic T1 is one of the worst offenders in this respect. Also the Edition 8.

Have you found product variation more common in flagship headphones than mid-tier headphones? I haven't heard two of the same flagships side by side before other than the two types of R10s but I don't really count that as they are known to be different. I will get the chance to compare two HD 800s soon, I hope it's product variation I experienced, because the HD 800 I've had the chance to audition so far was one of the brightest headphones I've ever heard.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #881 of 4,825

I agree that the Edition 8s are horrible in many aspects, but T1?

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #882 of 4,825
Have you found product variation more common in flagship headphones than mid-tier headphones?

No, though I have found it to be more common with some companies over others. For instance the DT1350 (a less expensive Beyerdynamic model) has variation from one to another in my experience. Same with less expensive Ultrasones.

While this is somewhat disconcerting, it seems odd that Tyll received one of the worse pairs? (if he, in fact, did)

Yes, it would be odd, though similar things have happened. Companies have even sent defective units (like, with massive channel imbalances) on listening tours before! The US tour for the Heir 4S for instance. Same with meets. You think "how did this get out of the labs?"

I'm not suggesting this is what happened with Tyll, though.

However this is something to think about: what if all those different "versions" that exist of classic AKG products are---at least in part---due to product variation? For instance you'll see bass light versus bass heavy versions. Or like four or five different iterations of the K340 supposedly. In these cases it seems more like long term variation, as in middle period versus late period that can be classified by serial number. But is it really that clear cut? Makes you wonder.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #883 of 4,825
  I agree that the Edition 8s are horrible in many aspects, but T1?

Indeed! You can even find measurements of pairs of T1 with large channel imbalances, scratchy treble, etc. and compare them to "good" T1s measured on the same rig. PM me if you're interested (I don't want to derail the thread).

The variation on Ultrasones however is probably the most substantial of any dynamic headphone. I used to own an Edition 10 that actually sounded decent, for instance. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #884 of 4,825
No, though I have found it to be more common with some companies over others. For instance the DT1350 (a less expensive Beyerdynamic model) has variation from one to another in my experience. Same with less expensive Ultrasones.

I have noticed some variation in Beyers and Senns before, but moreso with Beyer. Haven't tried any Ultrasone yet, always been a bit hesitant to due to so many complaints about them. AKGs have been very consistent to my ears.

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #885 of 4,825
Interesting that there are some variation with the Ultrasones.

If by Sennheiser you're referring to the HD800, they are all pretty close to one another but an absolute perfect match is nigh impossible and Sennheiser has one of the most accurate and strict driver matching processes during production stage of all companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back