AKG K812 Pro
Jan 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #827 of 4,825
Totally different. The T1 is a mess and the K812 is very coherent. I haven't heard them side by side, but I have heard the T1 multiple times and always thought the same thing about them.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #828 of 4,825
Totally different. The T1 is a mess and the K812 is very coherent. I haven't heard them side by side, but I have heard the T1 multiple times and always thought the same thing about them.

I wonder if you were hearing a "bad" pair of T1s. I would never classify them as a mess. And objectively, they're almost twins:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK812SN001130.pdf
vs.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1SN3964.pdf

Just some more upper treble on the T1s. I'd really like to hear the K812s. How are the vocals? Hopefully the fake-ish mids of the K701s have been fixed?

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #829 of 4,825

I noticed that you listen to quite a bit of electronica & metal—in that context, you find the bass satisfying for specifically electronica? I personally tend to find that most headphones, especially the flagships, do just fine with acoustic bass but rarely synthesized or electric bass (i.e., metal), so I just wanted to ask your opinion on that. Also do you find that the K812 has more mid-range quantity than the HD800? I know you mentioned less treble, but I didn't see anything specifically about the mid-range relative to the HD800.

And on a side but related note, I remember Tyll refused to write a review of the K812 because he thought it was terrible (basically in terms of its measurements)—what's your take on Tyll's reaction? As in, how do you reconcile your own positive impressions with Tyll's negative impressions? I would've thought that if Tyll flat out refused to review them there must be something negative that would audibly bear out in user impressions.

Your impressions combined with Maxvla's are making the K812 sound sufficiently promising to me, definitely looking forward to hearing them sometime.

The K812 wouldn't be my first choice for synthetic bass---I actually prefer certain in-ear monitors like the Shure SE846 for that---but it certainly wouldn't be my last either. It's satisfying to me given the rest of the signature, and if the synth bass was more pounding I think it would be somewhat out of place and potentially disjointed sounding. The mids on the HD800 and K812 strike me as more similar in presentation than not, actually. However I find the HD800 tends to be more chameleonic depending on what upstream gear I have, and the mids can sound a little lifeless unless matched well. 

I can't speak for Tyll obviously, but I seem to recall a somewhat less severe reaction. I recall him saying he preferred the K812 to the T1 for instance, but that he wasn't impressed enough by them given their price tag to do a full review. For some people (myself included) it can be hard to review something unless they're really smitten by it, especially when they've got a lot of other stuff on their plate.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #830 of 4,825
  And objectively, they're almost twins:

vs.

Just some more upper treble on the T1s.

Maybe except for the highs--not only the upper treble. Tyll's criticism of both concerned the highs.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #831 of 4,825
My new K812's are in the house! I've only been listening for an hour but they already opened up from the first 30 minutes or so of use. Right now I'm running them from the headphone output on a Sony XA5400ES SACD player, and they sound great. I'm playing the new cd by by Christian McBride Trio, Out there. It's an all acoustic affair and sounds full and well balanced across the board. No issues with the treble frequencies, piano sounds natural, drums and bass very detailed with great impact. Cymbals are clear without any sense of brashness or tizzyness.
Sound damn good so far. I'll break these in for a week and post an update.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #833 of 4,825
  I wonder if you were hearing a "bad" pair of T1s. I would never classify them as a mess. And objectively, they're almost twins:

vs.

Just some more upper treble on the T1s. I'd really like to hear the K812s. How are the vocals? Hopefully the fake-ish mids of the K701s have been fixed?

The Measurement is not the quite the same. T1 have faster bass roll off and less upper treble, also there is a sharp dip at 7k due to inter driver reflextion. The THD figure is also quite different, usually higher THD means more perceived response at a certain range.

I owned 2 T1s and they do not sound like the K812, the T1's bass layering is not as good and soundstage is much narrower. Signature wise T1 is polite while K812 is slightly aggressive.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #834 of 4,825
  The Measurement is not the quite the same. T1 have faster bass roll off and less upper treble, also there is a sharp dip at 7k due to inter driver reflextion. The THD figure is also quite different, usually higher THD means more perceived response at a certain range.

I owned 2 T1s and they do not sound like the K812, the T1's bass layering is not as good and soundstage is much narrower. Signature wise T1 is polite while K812 is slightly aggressive.

What are your thoughts on the K812 vs HD800?

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #835 of 4,825
I'm listening to the new Rosanne Cash cd now,The River and the Thread. I've listened to this cd plenty of times on my HD800 on the Lyr and the Mjolinor, and it's always sounded great. But to my surprise, the K812 and the HP jack on my player sound, for the first time, just right. I'm going to amp the 812, but I'm exploring options before I take the leap. But so far, the 812 has a very organic, natural sound I find hard to get from most headphones. To me, they sound like a pair of kick ass speakers perfectly mated to both room and equipment.
Great room feel from a headphone.
A friend of mine is going to lend me his Asgard 2, which has a low and high impedance switch, and see how this new Schitt sounds together.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #836 of 4,825
Quote:Asr
 And on a side but related note, I remember Tyll refused to write a review of the K812 because he thought it was terrible (basically in terms of its measurements)—what's your take on Tyll's reaction? As in, how do you reconcile your own positive impressions with Tyll's negative impressions? I would've thought that if Tyll flat out refused to review them there must be something negative that would audibly bear out in user impressions.

Tyl did not review them just because of their measurements.
He first listened to them and didn't like the "tizziness" that he heard.
He may have had a bad sample to test.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #837 of 4,825
My new K812's are in the house! I've only been listening for an hour but they already opened up from the first 30 minutes or so of use. Right now I'm running them from the headphone output on a Sony XA5400ES SACD player, and they sound great. I'm playing the new cd by by Christian McBride Trio, Out there. It's an all acoustic affair and sounds full and well balanced across the board. No issues with the treble frequencies, piano sounds natural, drums and bass very detailed with great impact. Cymbals are clear without any sense of brashness or tizzyness.
Sound damn good so far. I'll break these in for a week and post an update.

Amazing CD player.  Should sound very good right out of the hp jack.  enjoy!

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #838 of 4,825
  Tyl did not review them just because of their measurements.
He first listened to them and didn't like the "tizziness" that he heard.
He may have had a bad sample to test.

No one ever says of a positive review, "Maybe he just got a good batch."

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #839 of 4,825

Not a popular opinion on the T1 around head-fi, but I have to agree. You really need the CSD or to hear them to really hear all the problems with the T1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back