AKG K812 Pro
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #4,756 of 4,832
marshmallows & peanut butter ?
I wonder what this looks like in real life? I mean I don’t really want it but, I’m not sure there have been many so bright in the audiophile world? I would probably like a metallic version of this? Though truly my favorite color of headphones is black. Just black, with black trim and black accents.

quincy, as much as I adore his soundtracks from the 70’s, and the songs that sampled those soundtracks, ole boy airballed every colorway of his AKG collabs that I can recall.

That said, the Q701 with the Bass Port mod is a shockingly great can. It’a just that Quincy likes neon green … ALOT ALOT lol

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #4,757 of 4,832
Well, I truly believe there is a correlation between (a headphones) color and how we ultimately perceive it. Now many are going to argue that fact and even point out that lime green does not have an actual verifiable response? Still......if a headphone is on the fence as far as being interpreted as warm or cold and if it has a graph that looks like a W, which could in fact have both a warm tone with cold aspects (or a cold tone with warm aspects) then color becomes even more important. Maybe subconsciously......only, but it does affect our interpretation! IMO
marshmallows & peanut butter ?

quincy, as much as I adore his soundtracks from the 70’s, and the songs that sampled those soundtracks, ole boy airballed every colorway of his AKG collabs that I can recall.

That said, the Q701 with the Bass Port mod is a shockingly great can. It’a just that Quincy likes neon green … ALOT ALOT lol

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #4,758 of 4,832
^The SpringfieldNuclearPowerPlantWasteMaterial paint scheme has been shown to enhance the remastering engineer’s ability to properly attenuate and downgrade the annoying presence of a steel drum too high in the original mix, for instance.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #4,759 of 4,832
That’s the whole thing! There is someone out there (I bet a limited few) who absolutely believe that lime is the greatest color ever to grace a headphone. And just like the steel drum sound, it’s a matter of taste in the end. For many that sound can’t be loud enough, as the whole song rotates around it, and (the song) gains life due to it’s presence. To others though the novelty wears thins upon the first couple of bars, they recoil in appreciation and quickly reach for the volume knob. The nighttime listening sessions though, may demand a paint color indicating something close to a road cone for quick identification under subdued lighting? There is always that!

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #4,760 of 4,832
That’s the whole thing! There is someone out there (I bet a limited few) who absolutely believe that lime is the greatest color ever to grace a headphone. And just like the steel drum sound, it’s a matter of taste in the end. For many that sound can’t be loud enough, as the whole song rotates around it, and (the song) gains life due to it’s presence. To others though the novelty wears thins upon the first couple of bars, they recoil in appreciation and quickly reach for the volume knob. The nighttime listening sessions though, may demand a paint color indicating something close to a road cone for quick identification under subdued lighting? There is always that!
I owned a lime green Q701 in the past that I got from a friend, liked the color more in person than I expected, but still looks quite similar to the pictures. Those headband bumps though are evil incarnate.

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #4,761 of 4,832
I owned a lime green Q701 in the past that I got from a friend, liked the color more in person than I expected, but still looks quite similar to the pictures. Those headband bumps though are evil incarnate.
So....your nickname for it was “mean-green”?

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #4,762 of 4,832
Unfortunately since the original AKG K-812 team is gone, I don’t have high hopes for any tweaked editions (or a worthy followup)… while Samsung initially said they’d want to revive the AKG brand in it’s old glory, I did not see that happening so far. And especially the Pro products seem to be left behind completely. Which is a shame.

On the other Hand many of those involved with the K-812 now work together at Austrian Audio, and their Hi-X65 and Hi-X60 show very high performance and hint at the potential of that team. I‘ve not yet heard the X65 myself, but owned the X55 and now the X60, and especially the latter is really good. Different price range from the K-812, but I think they are not yet done…

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #4,763 of 4,832
I wonder what this looks like in real life? I mean I don’t really want it but, I’m not sure there have been many so bright in the audiophile world? I would probably like a metallic version of this? Though truly my favorite color of headphones is black. Just black, with black trim and black accents.
I still have mine sealed, as what I'm using is the black one. Both still Made in Austria versions. These will remain keepers for me.
IMG_20211231_163813.jpg
IMG_20210721_124357.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #4,764 of 4,832
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/d-m41n-man.349837/

Very cool. I have 2 pairs of AKG k701s. One pair that I use and one back-up pair I keep protected in a storage case. Really it’s a gold color case for make-up or something my wife had, but it works great.

I use the k701s for TV listening and movies. In fact it’s the only headphone I use for that purpose. Something about the openback and fit? They are super comfortable, the headband bumps never bothered me? Both are Austrian made, with one early and one late production, yet they sound identical. Though the AKG emblem is different and one it’s lower and one on-top. The foam is slightly different when you take off the pads? But I only purchased one pair new, so maybe the previous owner changed foam. Still sonically they are the same.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #4,765 of 4,832
I still have mine sealed, as what I'm using is the black one. Both still Made in Austria versions. These will remain keepers for me.
IMG_20211231_163813.jpgIMG_20210721_124357.jpg
The Q701, regardless of its loud appearance on some models, is actually a really great headphone. Especially with the Bass Port Mod.

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #4,766 of 4,832
Unfortunately since the original AKG K-812 team is gone, I don’t have high hopes for any tweaked editions (or a worthy followup)… while Samsung initially said they’d want to revive the AKG brand in it’s old glory, I did not see that happening so far. And especially the Pro products seem to be left behind completely. Which is a shame.

On the other Hand many of those involved with the K-812 now work together at Austrian Audio, and their Hi-X65 and Hi-X60 show very high performance and hint at the potential of that team. I‘ve not yet heard the X65 myself, but owned the X55 and now the X60, and especially the latter is really good. Different price range from the K-812, but I think they are not yet done…
Yes, I’m still naive-ly hopeful that SamSung sees the value in continuing the K812, as it’s one of the most technologically impressive headphones of all time. Perhaps even re-launching a 10th anniversary edition in 2023, that echoes some of my design wishes, and addresses slightly some of the small unfinished details in treble peaks/etc.

Much like Sennheiser addresses the problems with the HD800, with the HD800S.

The Austrian facilities being closed in 2017 was a fairly insulting blow to the legacy of the brand, but I’m an eternal optimist, so I can’t ever stop dreaming lol

Will enjoy my K812 forever, even knowing it may well be the last truly great professional AKG headphone ever.

I’ve listened to most of the high end stuff available, and NOTHING has combined the following factors better than the K812:

Unrivaled Instrument separation.

Huge holographic 3d soundstage.

Super flat neutral FR on everything below 2khz-ish.

Spectacular technologically advanced design with the unique sound sealing earcups, gimbal mounting, and ability to make the headphone seem significantly lighter than it is.

Nothing has eclipsed that combination yet. Focal Utopia come closest.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #4,767 of 4,832
Listening to Keith Jarrett Trio's Still Live with the Akg K812 headphones via a Fidelice DAC/preamp/headphone amp and it's an absolute treat. Wonderful sound. Those AKG 812 phones really were given a rough trot by Tyll - my phones simply don't sound like he described - they don't sound nasty in the high end at all. Lovely smooth treble, detailed and dynamic mids (there are some MASSIVE snare hits on this album) with full bass. Beautifully made too.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #4,768 of 4,832
Listening to Keith Jarrett Trio's Still Live with the Akg K812 headphones via a Fidelice DAC/preamp/headphone amp and it's an absolute treat. Wonderful sound. Those AKG 812 phones really were given a rough trot by Tyll - my phones simply don't sound like he described - they don't sound nasty in the high end at all. Lovely smooth treble, detailed and dynamic mids (there are some MASSIVE snare hits on this album) with full bass. Beautifully made too.
Hey, nice to see someone with similar gear. How you compare K812 to Stax. I'v noticed that the K812 has left a bit background after getting the Stax. I agree that the after several years of playing K812 their treble sound a much smooter than early days.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #4,769 of 4,832
Hey, nice to see someone with similar gear. How you compare K812 to Stax. I'v noticed that the K812 has left a bit background after getting the Stax. I agree that the after several years of playing K812 their treble sound a much smooter than early days.
Hi @UtaA I have compared them with an older Stax headphone/energizer combination and they're about equal IMHO. Not that they sound the same. however.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #4,770 of 4,832
Hi @UtaA I have compared them with and older Stax headphone/energizer combination and they're about equal IMHO. Not that they sound the same. however.
Thanks for your reply. For me when I changed to Stax I noticed how colored the dynamic ones like K812 are compared to electrostatics. Stax are so unreal clean. Especially when your DAC and AMP doesen't add any color either. I see you having Neve as well and with AKM's, like my RME. Not that I still don't enjoy K812. I think they are one of the best there is dynamic wise. Valuable as a collect as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back