AKG K812 Pro
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #3,241 of 4,825
Never said the k812 was more musical than hd800.
Pataburd, what is tonality when talking about headphones and what about it makes the headphone more musical

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #3,242 of 4,825
Pataburd, what is tonality when talking about headphones and what about it makes the headphone more musical

I will say it. The 812 is more musical than the 800 to me. You can pick any headphone apart with certain shortcomings.
The 812 is a awesome sounding headphone and belongs up there with the best. You can find some great deals on them on eBay. I was able to get a open box, like new with full warranty for under a grand. Very happy with it.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #3,243 of 4,825
For my definition of the term 'musical', i.e. giving me fun while listening, the K812 *is* more musical to me: the HD800 seems to force me to dissect music, its just too easy to pick anything out. So easy in fact that I had the impression various instruments and musical strains within a piece play just next to each other, not together... just the lightest bit delayed against each other, therefore not letting me enjoy the piece as a whole. The K812 does not do that (and offers a bit less detail), so it therefore is more musical to me: it lets me enjoy the music.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #3,244 of 4,825
the meaning of descriptors like musical and analytical varies depending on who's using them from what i've seen here. same goes for neutral, colored, accurate etc. it's all kinda subjective.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #3,245 of 4,825
When I think of "musicality", I tend to advert primarily to tonality.  It would be interesting to find out how others qualify this generic and often ambiguous term.
My question was in reference to this. I wasn't sure where he/she was going with this so I asked.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #3,246 of 4,825
tonality....hard to put it down to words,
off my memory,  when i listened to a SONUS FABER ...
or a DT150 can, the word tonality comes to mind.
more full bodied, the notes have a certain richness,
the mind conjures up leather, woods..cow hide.( though these materials might not be there...lol.)
notes hang in the air just a wee bit longer, n smoother ? 

I suspect the inner wall design of the pads sculpts the sound stage/ ambience of the k812.
Each time i put it on, my mind says this is a big CLOSED can...?

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3,247 of 4,825
Well tonality is related to pitches in the voice but I see you're mentioning possibly coloration? So I guess when someone is talking they can convey their emotions by stressing a certain tonality which a imo a good headphone should be able to reproduce the all tonalities in the recording in a non coloring manner. However I do know that colored speakers such as sonus Faber can be very musical due to its coloration. However that coloration can get old as if emphasized too much can make all music have the same tonality at all times. Some music sounds very off when these colorations are added.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #3,249 of 4,825
Really? Inquiring about what makes a better headphone so that we're all on the same page when it comes to getting a correct evaluation of the k812. It's about as out of line as comparing them to another headphone

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #3,250 of 4,825
And what's ponderous? I simply did my research on tonality and pretty sure I got a good understanding of it but if I'm wrong please elaborate instead of what I feel like is you telling me im clumsy in my understanding.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #3,253 of 4,825
I would seriously love someone to coach me as to what I'm doing wrong in both vocabulary and all around interpersonal skills

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #3,254 of 4,825
I love this hobby and website too much to be continuously deleting my posts due to ignorance even though I'm pretty sure I have a pretty good ear for things.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #3,255 of 4,825
I think with headphones at this level the discussion about tonality is inevitable: they are at a level where the comparison with the actual instruments is an interesting discussion. Besides the pure technicality of exact reproduction there is another trait that I for one am looking for in a headphone: thats what I gave as my definition of musicality above. And as most of my headphone listening is about electronic music, I'm happy to pass on the discussion of tonality: I can reduce that to like vs. don't like :wink:

While I'm more at the professional side, in general preferring a more exact, monitor-like presentation (i.e. no tube coloration for me) I do appreciate that sense of joy that minor imperfections may give me (see above HD800 vs. K812). Its like mastering in the studio vs. live mixing (what I do some of the time): live has to be fun at the moment. As many people listen it may not stray too far from correct, but a bit of extra kick for the drum or bite for the guitar may just fit the moment. Just don't overuse that... it will get old rather quickly.

Equipment with definitive coloration may sound perfect for some recordings... but what about the others? More neutral is more versatile to me and in the long run more fun. And that is something the K812 seems to accomplish for me: its definitely not perfect, but gives me fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back