AKG K712 first impressions
Nov 9, 2023 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
Not as bright as previous k612, may not need hundreds of hours burning in. Pretty good off the bat. Very similar sound signature as hd600. Very comfortable, most comfy of all my cans. Bass is somewhat lacking compared with hd600 and hifiman he-4xx which are my two other open-backed cans. Very forward mids and clear highs, but not painful, unlike k612's at first listening. Somewhat sibilant. Very good soundstage as expected. And with replaceable cable unlike k612! K612 had to be given to a fellow headfier after broken 3,5mm jack, wasn't going to try and solder that. Worth the extra 50-70 bucks (was around 2900 nok or 260 usd) for the replaceable cable. The 3.5mm jack is less of an issue for k612 if you're using the 1/4 inch adapter. I'm sure it will get better though after some burn-in.
Have to stop collecting headphones now, have 6 plus iems. Think I've covered all the bases by now. Only tested listening to blues on Tidal hi-fi plus. Through Schiit stack.
Overall good reference cans, but for smooth easy listening and over long periods Hifimans are less accurate but more comfortable. Again will change with burn-in. Still a newb so take all this with pinch of salt.

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 10
Not as bright as previous k612, may not need hundreds of hours burning in. Pretty good off the bat. Very similar sound signature as hd600. Very comfortable, most comfy of all my cans. Bass is somewhat lacking compared with hd600 and hifiman he-4xx which are my two other open-backed cans. Very forward mids and clear highs, but not painful, unlike k612's at first listening. Somewhat sibilant. Very good soundstage as expected. And with replaceable cable unlike k612! K612 had to be given to a fellow headfier after broken 3,5mm jack, wasn't going to try and solder that. Worth the extra 50-70 bucks (was around 2900 nok or 260 usd) for the replaceable cable. The 3.5mm jack is less of an issue for k612 if you're using the 1/4 inch adapter. I'm sure it will get better though after some burn-in.
Have to stop collecting headphones now, have 6 plus iems. Think I've covered all the bases by now. Only tested listening to blues on Tidal hi-fi plus. Through Schiit stack.
Overall good reference cans, but for smooth easy listening and over long periods Hifimans are less accurate but more comfortable. Again will change with burn-in. Still a newb so take all this with pinch of salt.
I cant confirm your impressions of K712, I think K612 may be a little less detailed, but better in everything else. Compare with K712, AKG K612 has deep and natural bass, beautiful and non-fatiguing highs, and a huge sound stage. But the main advantage of 612 over the 712 is the full mids, they are simply fantastic. So now when choosing new headphones I focus on the mids of K612, I just dont buy headphones where the mid-range is sacrificed. If I were you, I would definitely invest in fixing the 3.5mm jack for K612:smile_phones:

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 10
Well those are already sent to a forum member from Belarus, no point in fixing in Norway, would cost more than new cans. So k712 it is. Pluss don't want to have cans anymore which don't have replaceable cables. Anyway going to a better home! He can repair them, whereas most could not. Tiny wires and shielding, a nightmare to solder. Well k712's in the house, and they're not terrible, and k612 sent to Belarus. Still have hd600 and hifiman he-4xx if they don't work out.

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 10
And the Sennheiser hd600 are getting burned in and sound better every day! My most expensive cans so far! But wow hd600's and k712's need a bit of juice from Schiit amplifier! On max gain on the amp! But so far the hd600's sound smoother. Have hifiman he-4xx's as well, which are even smoother...good for rock and blues! But not as accurate! Think my hd600's are best cans so far. Think they will end up being my favorites!

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 10
Well the k712's are still a bit harsh, will need some burning in. For now love my Sennheiser hd600's more. Better bass, smoother, not harsh highs. Just an amazing pair of cans! Can't recommend enough! Not quite the soundstage of the k712's of course. But not quite the harsh treble of the k712's.

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Well the Sennheisers HD600 are definetely a lot smoother! These will need need a lot of burning in!

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Well Tidal died again, typical! Not that reliable! Oh well! Keeps dying on me, for no reason! So reason to stay with Spotify! Apart from hifi!

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 10
Basically if Tidal hifi dies on you, have to start pc from start again. What a pain in the ass! But it does that all the time, not very reliable.

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Well so far he-4xx pretty smooth for rock and pop. Great cans! But not as detailed as k712's or hd600's. But nice cans and easy on the ears! The k712's are good but probably need a lot burning in compared with hd600's. For detailed listening, HD600's are probably still it, bit less harsh than k712's. Both very good and very similar! But the edge goes to the hd600's. Either way not exactly not exactly relaxed listening, for that you need the he-4xx or similar.

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Yeah just a/b he-4xx and k712's and definetely more relaxed listening to hifiman. More detailed and accurate with k712 but more fatiguing. Will have to test out Senn. Hd600's, my fave cans so far. But Hifiman for long-term listening, relaxed for sure. Less accurate, but easier on the ear. And great comfort! Don't know why a lot of people rag on those drop cans, they're super! For dirt-cheap price as well! For planar magnetics! Too be honest can't tell the difference between dynamic and planar anyway. Well next up is plugging in Senn HD600's . Have a feeling these k712's could be good but need a lot of burning in. Listening to some NYC tunes Donald Fagan! On Tidal plus or whatever they call it now! Have a stash of Flacs, but not on this pc! Ripped all my CD's, all 250 of them! All on mobile! Which has a 3.5mm jack! Haha! Oneplus! Also have of course a FiiO Q1 from many years ago, just to be able to juice my mobile! Great little DAC/Amp'! Hehe had to get a Usb-C to Usb micro cable, getting old!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back