AKG K702 with Xonar DX
Dec 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jhao19

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I just had a quick question.  I am currently running the K702 off of the xonar dx, and was just wondering what the best options were for these headphones?

I am currently using:

Audio Chanel: 8 channels
Sample Rate: PCM 192 KHz
Analog Out: Headphone
SPDIF Out: PCM (checked), Dolby Headphone (checked)

Are these optimal?

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 8
Best option is to buy an external headphone amplifier.
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 8
Oh sorry, I also forgot to mention I have it hooked up to an O2.

I thought it would just ask a a wire with gain though, so I didn't mention it.

Does having the O2 change anything?

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 8
I personally wouldn't use dolby headphone for listening to music.
Best why are you asking us? Just have a play and decide what sounds best to you.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 8
  Oh sorry, I also forgot to mention I have it hooked up to an O2.

I thought it would just ask a a wire with gain though, so I didn't mention it.

Does having the O2 change anything?

O2 is fine, I have one also.
Personally I leave the sample rate at 96Khz, I doubt this much if any audio that takes practical advantage of 192Khz.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Haha, I'm just new to this whole headphone thing, so I was just hoping there was a general consensus as to what options would provide the best sound through the drivers.

Mainly, I was just confused with the driver options (the # of channels) in the xonar dx control panel.

I've read that for music, I should just leave it at 2 channels with the hifi option on.

But what if I wanted surround sound in gaming?  Should I up it to 6 or 8 channels and click on Dolby Virtual Headphone?

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 8
  Haha, I'm just new to this whole headphone thing, so I was just hoping there was a general consensus as to what options would provide the best sound through the drivers.
Mainly, I was just confused with the driver options (the # of channels) in the Xonar DX control panel.
I've read that for music, I should just leave it at 2 channels with the hifi option on.
But what if I wanted surround sound in gaming?  Should I up it to 6 or 8 channels and click on Dolby Virtual Headphone?

For 99.9% of the music you want to use 2-channel, there are some very rare Audio-DVDs that use 5.1.
For surround sound for movies or gaming, you would use 6 or 8-channels, between 6 or 8, use whichever sounds best to your ears.
I never use Dolby Virtual Shifter.

You could try the "Unified Xonar Drivers"
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 8
Yup!  Those are actually the drivers I am using right now :)!

Alright cool.  So 2 channels for most listening purposes.  

If I'm playing a game that need surround sound, kick it up to 6 or 8 channels, but leave the Dolby Virtual stuff off.  Got it :D!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back