AKG K702 - imminent release!
Jun 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #121 of 135
Thanks...; in other hand, i put "lack" because i known that this headphone doesn't can lack it completely, but there it has in little amounts. I known that this is the behavior of this headphone (to be flat); it can have been designed in this way..., and i understand his purpose, but his characteristic doesn't appeal to me.
In other hand, i like bass slam a lot and in general, a tight and a balanced bass (not boomy, but with the correct amount of low bass (but not abnormal as the DT770, but with the extension and definition/texture) and midbass (not bloated) to be fun for me and that i only don't hear it, if not feel it. as for example my DT990). Ah if bass slam is an abnormality, then i am not an audiophile hehe.
In the real life you will not listen a thunder when it hit the ground as if it sounded as a slip of paper or as a two metal sheet colliding/brushed (as the special effects in those old movies) . You listen the low bass (the sound waves that you feel in you body), the midbass (the din/or boom/thundering) and the highbass (when it hit hard the ground (the ray) and you hear this dry sound hard). Your hear the other frecuencies too (mids and treble obviously) . I like the sound the most realistic possible in general, and that is that i want to listen with the headphones (because i can't use speakers) .
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are correct (thank goodness) that the K701s lack bass slam. But you are so far off base with the "lack bass" quote. Bass slam is a coloration - something abhorent to audiophiles. The K701s have all the bass of whatever the recording you're listening to has to offer. If you don't hear bass via the K701s, look to your source (or upstream components) for the problem. I hear plenty of good, solid, tight bass - but not bass that overwhelms the music. Gee, kind of like real life huh?

I like a big/huge soundstage, but not artificial (out of the front row (two rows to seven is excellent), because it is more versatile too with movies...)
The laidback behavior can be good with romantic pop/jpop, most classical, jazz, accoustical/ambiental; but it doesn't work well (i include bass here) with rock, metal, heavy metal, Jrock, Super Eurobeat, trance and fast music in general. It simply sound boring and with lack of substance (as an insipid soup (without potatoes, tomatoes, salt, onnions, garlic, condiments, beef, etc).
But yeah, the tastes are different for all or for some type of persons (collectives/groups)
Quote:

I'll agree with you that the K701s can sound a little laidback. This is not necessaraly a bad thing. More mid hall than front row. BUT, they are not sterile/analytical/flat/lacking body. Again, they present what's on the recording without adding any additional colorations. If they don't meet your tastes that's fine. If there was one perfect headphone we wouldn't need this forum (which I for one would miss considerably).

Yes, the material (and quality of the recording) is influyent too, it can make a headphone sound bad, when it have a lot of detail/resolution and other things in general.
Quote:

Agreed. But notice that what you discribe as virtues are of the non-additive kind, while the negatives you list are of the additive kind. I think that's one of the problems with the acceptance of the K701s - that they are sooo neutral (in comparison to other cans) that they give the impression of boredom when the problem really lies with (in most cases) the source material itself. Given good source material the K701s are fully as good as anyone could/should want.

But hey, different strokes for different folks ya know. It's all cool.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #123 of 135
That thing looks sweet!

image12118483ad1a2dff41.jpg

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #124 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG has just replaced the K701 with the 702 on their website:
K 702

No sign of the K701 anywhere on their site. Probably gone for good.

It's in Personal Audio section along with all HD models.

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #126 of 135
No doubt that for me the new color scheme is much better.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #130 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will be released in August. Now calm down, wait for August, enjoy your beer, and watch the Sweden-Russia football game.

image12118483ad1a2dff41.jpg

Hi-res image: http://www.akg.com/picture.php?txt=F...ad1a180c1e.jpg

AKG Debuts K 702 Headphones For Recording and Broadcast Applications

K 702

Typeopen-back, dynamic headphones
Frequency range10 to 39,800 Hz
Rated impedance62 ohms
Max. input power200 mW
Cable3 m single-sided (99,9% oxygen-free)
Connectorgold plated stereo jack plug 6.3 mm (1/4")
Adaptergold plated con

Looking really nice!
Wonder how this model will sound compared to the K701... Hmmm

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #133 of 135
I thought this would be released in August? Anyone got wind of it yet?

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #134 of 135
While I loved the K701 sound. I definately think it could be improved upon and hope they don't sound too much like the K701.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #135 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkyWay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn just paid for a pair K701

Nothing to be worried about....it seems that all info points to the idea that the cord and color will be the only changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back