AKG K702 - imminent release!
Jun 12, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #31 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't they look at making a K1001 instead of a K702?

They stopped making the K1000 because the equipment required to manufacture it wore out.

It costs a LOT of money to retool for an entirely different headphone, and that's precisely what they'll have to do to 'bring back' or 'update' the K1000.

The K702 is just the latest in a long string of incremental updates.

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #32 of 135
well if this is true, then it certainly puts me in interesting position in terms of my home set up. i was thinking of the k701s over 650s, and the new ones might just push the deal. depends on how they look. if i dont like them, then yaa, cheaper 701s. if i do, then yaa, even better looking 702s!

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #33 of 135
Heck, they can keep the model number, I'd buy a pair of Ferrari Red K701s any day of the week.

The K701 is my reference dynamic headphone.

As it is, if the new pair turn out to be comparable or better than the K701 and the red is cool, I'll spring for one.

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #34 of 135
I think the K701 needs a good desktop amp that has more than a 9 volt battery suppling the power. I am not an electrical engineer and what I have learned is from my experience owning different audio stuff and reading the forums. From what I understand the k701 benefits from an amp that has ample power supply like 24v that can supply enough current for them to sound their best.

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #36 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt6652 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the K701 needs a good desktop amp that has more than a 9 volt battery suppling the power. I am not an electrical engineer and what I have learned is from my experience owning different audio stuff and reading the forums. From what I understand the k701 benefits from an amp that has ample power supply like 24v that can supply enough current for them to sound their best.

The K701s work great with the Headroom Micro amps too.

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #37 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt6652 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah but you suggested fixing this. They can't change that without changing the sound as well.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #40 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ANow, users can talk about the respective break-in times for the headphone and the cables.

I'm looking forward to judging the sonic qualities of the paint change.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #43 of 135
I believe it's the Kimber Select series of interconnects where they claim that they found that white and black colors for the cables changed the sound because the white and black pigments commonly used are titanium white (or zinc white, I forget) and carbon black, both of which conduct electrons to some extent.

I wonder if AKG has gone that far in their research?

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #44 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Love-Music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frankly speaking, I didn't like the 701s very much, they sounded WEIRD to me. Sorry for saying so, but it's true. Hope the 702s can suprise me a little.

Glad that I'm not alone.
biggrin.gif
I wouldn't say I dislike it, but it sounds weird to me too, I think it skewed the midrange and treble in a weird way and makes everything sounds different.

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #45 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it's the Kimber Select series of interconnects where they claim that they found that white and black colors for the cables changed the sound because the white and black pigments commonly used are titanium white (or zinc white, I forget) and carbon black, both of which conduct electrons to some extent.

I wonder if AKG has gone that far in their research?

It's a dangerous path. Soon we'd be seeing funky coloured headphone and rainbow coloured cable. And no one would be complaining of toilet bowl white.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back