AKG K702 Build your own cable...
Nov 5, 2008 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 128

Acix

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the K702 and I'm super happy with these headphones in my studio. And now, I want to try to improve the sonic quality with better cable.

1. What is the best cable that you can buy by the foot to recable the K702?

I'm finding the Mogami W2534 Or W2893 to be good. MOGAMI - Neglex Quad Microphone Cables.
Please let me know if you have better cable to for this task, and what is a good AWG for 62 ohms ?

2. What are the best conectors for this cable?

A. Neutrik X-Series 1/4 with Gold Contacts and Black Shell.
B. FURUTECH, 2. FURU-FP-704(G).
C. SWITCHCRAFT TA3F mini XLR. Maybe the 4-pin cable if it's fit?
http://www.soundplugtw.com/index.php?option=product&lang=en&task=pageinfo&id=10&belongid=9&index=0

3. Okay, now what is the best way to solder the 4 conductors? the 2 blue, and the 2 white to the stereo? What's the best solder wire for this project?

EDIT: I added photos of the process...I highly recommend to get the mini XLR TQ-FL connector directly from the Taiwan manufactor, at http://www.soundplugtw.com/index.php?option=product&lang=en&task=pageinfo&id=10&belongid=9&index=0 ....Big thanks to joy@soundplugtw.com

My start point was the Mogami W2534 Gold 6ft about 2M out of ebay for around 10-$20 including the shipping. This was much easy for me, because I only needed to soldering only one side of the cable.

1. The mini XLR Connector/TQ-FL from www.soundplugtw.com (in all black).

2. Cutting and making place for the 4 conductor Mogami W2534 cable. 

3. Some polish work maybe needed on the bigger part just to looks smooth and more pro.

4. This what you'll find in side of the mini XLR.

5. Bending the unwanted part for a few times to break it down.

6. The unwanted part was removed.

7. Expend the cable host...this process needs to be made very gentle and not to make the pin/host total flat.

8. Soldering ready.

9. Better to put some soldering on the cable first, and hold the soldering tool/iron on the back of the host/pin, this way the silver soldering will flow in the host and will glue them to togheder. If you dont have any experience with the soldering tool like me, check out youtube videos about soldering XLR cable.

10. The black part that hold all the 5 cables together is the biggest difference between the Switchraft mini XLR connector and the TQ-FL connector from www.soundplugtw.com.
Important notes: the black part that hold all the 5 cables together in the Switchraft is white ( maybe it was fake) and made of plastic like the shampo type plastic. I prefer the TQ-FL part that is hard plastic and can hold the 5 cables in the shape of the conector (see part in photo, 2, 3). 

11. The finished product after 3 years of daily use.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 128
It's great that you enjoy the K702. I tried the K701 but had mixed feelings about it, love it in some songs but hate in other songs.

There's absolutely not the BEST cable, just have a good one for the money. The mogami is undeniably very good in both the flexibility and sound. To tell the truth, I had some difficulties distinguish to difference between it with my Vampire Sennheiser cable. I would suggest the w2534 because the K702 is not for portable. Plus, the w2534 is still very light and flexible. Getting some nylon multifilament to cover will turn it into a professional looking cable.

Actually, I haven't heard or read any scientific publish about the dependence of AWG on ohm of the phones. I saw some use huge 18awg cable, some use 26awg and they all sound good.

You should try to find the smallest connector available. Using huge one on the phones is not a good idea. One point to note that it uses the mini-XLR 3-pin, so the 4-pin is not feasible here. I haven't tried the Furutech yet, but the XLR connector of Neutrik is huge. Those mini-XLR from Switchcraft looks nice. This 3-pin XLR makes it far more difficult when you turn into balanced
frown.gif

Use the multimeter and everything will be fine, blue or white is all OK because they are all the same. I'd suggest the Cardas Quad Eutectic solder, it melts like butter and very easy to solder.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 128
Thanks a lot for your reply. It's less confusing and more inspiring, now. I hope this can clarify the cable issue for other AKG or Ultrasone users and help them to improve the sound. If you have some suggestions for better quad cables (or any others), I'd love to hear what you think.

About the dependence of AWG on ohm of the phones, well, they're supposed to be connected. How exactly, I still haven't figured it out. So about the soldering, I connect them 2 and 2, as I would a stereo cable (2 conductor cable)? How much do you think it would improve the sound, percentage-wise?

About your mixed feelings, I can understand the point. I use them in the studio and they're perfect for my needs. I can suggest that you try out MB Quart QP 250, they're really great phones. The other headphones that you might try are the Ultrasone PL 650 or HFI 650/680. If you need more bass than that, you can try the HFI 780. The HFI is the hi-fi verision of Ultrasone, as the ED 9. And they're very, very fun headphones. I highly recommend them for listening to music from any source.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 128
The better starquad cable I know is the Cardas. It's a little bit expensive. I haven't tried it so can't comment on how it sounds.

I would say the Mogami would improves around 15-20% to the sound of my Senn. It may not much but still prominent.

I'm going to buid a replacement cable for my friend's Ultrasone 2500. Hope it will sound better lol

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The better starquad cable I know is the Cardas. It's a little bit expensive. I haven't tried it so can't comment on how it sounds.

I would say the Mogami would improves around 15-20% to the sound of my Senn. It may not much but still prominent.

I'm going to buid a replacement cable for my friend's Ultrasone 2500. Hope it will sound better lol

15-20% improves, ))WoW((... sounds good to me.

About the Ultrasone 2500, Well, first need 500 burn in...
popcorn.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #7 of 128
I don't have the K702, but I made a cable for my K271S which aso uses mini-xlr, it's quite easy. But if it does support the mini-xlr, you could just buy other cables with that have the same connector, just make sure you have the right number of pins.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the K702, but I made a cable for my K271S which aso uses mini-xlr, it's quite easy. But if it does support the mini-xlr, you could just buy other cables with that have the same connector, just make sure you have the right number of pins.

Look like they have the same cables. Did you use the TA3F mini XLR? Maybe you can post some pics of your cable, it's a 2 or 4 conductor cable?

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 128
I think that is the connector I used. I simply use my starquad canare cable (4 internal wires + braided shielding, so with 3pins you can actaully use the braid on the ground and two wires for each channel). There are lot of seller cables places that would custom build these cables like Blue Jeans though, and maybe some other with more expensive cable brands, though others will know more than I do about which seller.

Btw, I think only mini-xlr connector will fit, and I don't remember seeing any neutrik minixlr connectors being sold, though I could be deadly wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't quote me on that lol.
Some will say the cable doesn't improve any percent
tongue.gif

Replacing cables generally is a great upgrade to the headphone sound. [size=xx-small](and this is coming from someone who post in the Sound Science section)[/size]

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 128
I should hope the . is in the wrong place on this mini XLR connector!

Audiogear.com

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 128
I know this thread is old but I wanted to let people know that the TAF3B connector is not a good match for the mogami starquad. It's far too small.

I bought two and cut them in half (short ways) where the rubber boot and plastic pieces match up. Looks like it should fit now. I would have preferred not to do any modification.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by flavirufus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this thread is old but I wanted to let people know that the TAF3B connector is not a good match for the mogami starquad. It's far too small.

I bought two and cut them in half (short ways) where the rubber boot and plastic pieces match up. Looks like it should fit now. I would have preferred not to do any modification.

Did you try the Mogami W2893 ??

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by flavirufus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You sure? The Switchcraft plug is far more enough for the Moga 2534, even with a nylon sleeve.

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #15 of 128
In my experience, I had to take off the rubber "tail" of the TA3F connector as well. It's a POS connector IMO, very frail/brittle plastic and terrible construction overall.
As for the actual cable, I used a Litz braid of Mogami quad or mini, I forget, in nylon multifilament, heatshrinked onto the black part (without rubber strain relief thing). It was really microphonic and I didn't bother listening for the subtle changes that *might have* been there because it wasn't worth it over the stock cable.
As for the Furutech plug, it's a nice looking connector and sturdy, but it's really heavy. I'm going to stick with Neutrik from now on.

YMMV etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back