AKG K702 65th Anniv VS Hifiman HE400
Jul 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #16 of 52
I just want to put in my thoughts between the two, I also prefer the HE400.

I think the 65th Anniv. bass has little emphasis that gives it a minor punch that is adequate for most circumstances.  The HE400 bass is more satisfying though especially for drums and no matter in which bass part, it hits well.

The main reason why I enjoy the HE400 more though is that I find the HE400 does better with image separation.  The 65th Anniv. instruments seems to be closer together, so I find them to be harder to track instruments in busy passage especially when vocal is present at the same time.  When that happens, I find the vocals and the instrument seems to be fighting to see who is on top where as with the HE400, I can clearly hear vocals in it's own space and also each instruments, but still integrated as a whole.  Not sure if it's just a trait of the HE400 or not.

I have a tendency to grab the HE400 more often for music listening, but occasionally grab the 65th for movies due to comfort from both weight and softer pads.  The 65th is just light as a feather compare to the HE400.

this is my experience with owning both.

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 52
Quote:
I just want to put in my thoughts between the two, I also prefer the HE400.

I think the 65th Anniv. bass has little emphasis that gives it a minor punch that is adequate for most circumstances.  The HE400 bass is more satisfying though especially for drums and no matter in which bass part, it hits well.

The main reason why I enjoy the HE400 more though is that I find the HE400 does better with image separation.  The 65th Anniv. instruments seems to be closer together, so I find them to be harder to track instruments in busy passage especially when vocal is present at the same time.  When that happens, I find the vocals and the instrument seems to be fighting to see who is on top where as with the HE400, I can clearly hear vocals in it's own space and also each instruments, but still integrated as a whole.  Not sure if it's just a trait of the HE400 or not.

I have a tendency to grab the HE400 more often for music listening, but occasionally grab the 65th for movies due to comfort from both weight and softer pads.  The 65th is just light as a feather compare to the HE400.

this is my experience with owning both.

Thank you very much for the insight, great to hear from someone who owns both. 
cool.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #18 of 52
I found little to no flaws with the K702 65th Anniversary.  The comfort, sound, and aesthetics were top notch in my book.  Very balanced sounding; good bass, great mids, and smooth, non-fatiguing treble. Sadly, I've been too spoiled by the ortho sound and sold it.  I consider it one of the best dynamic headphones in it's price range.

The HE-400 is definitely the funner sounding headphone, but I found the treble a little harsh for my liking.  It's got some really good bass, the mids were a little lacking and I personally didn't like that treble.  Many owners don't have a problem with it though, best to audition if possible.   It's a little heavier than most headphones and its not the most comfortable out there but gets better with time.  Great headphone for the price but if it were me, I'd save a bit more and get a used HE-500.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #20 of 52
I know of a comfort flaw of the AKG 65th
rolleyes.gif
, well at least to me, the headband.  I know they improved it by taking out the bumps, but for me I find the headband still not quite as good as others.  It has a tendency to dig into your head (on the end facing toward your face) and not lay flat on top of the head.  My guess is because it's thin, flat, and stiff causing it to not bend/comforms well to the shape of the head.  Nothing of a deal breaker, but still there.  Thank goodness the headphone is light.  With that being said the overall headphone is still comfortable due to it be light with light clamping + the soft ear pads.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:
I know of a comfort flaw of the AKG 65th
rolleyes.gif
, well at least to me, the headband.  I know they improved it by taking out the bumps, but for me I find the headband still not quite as good as others.  It has a tendency to dig into your head (on the end facing toward your face) and not lay flat on top of the head.  My guess is because it's thin, flat, and stiff causing it to not bend/comforms well to the shape of the head.  Nothing of a deal breaker, but still there.  Thank goodness the headphone is light.  With that being said the overall headphone is still comfortable due to it be light with light clamping + the soft ear pads.

This is why I love the Audio Technica design. Some people hate it because the headphones won't stay up, but for people like me with a big head, it's flawless. I've yet to put any headphones on my head that are as comfortable as the wing system, hopefully these two at least come somewhat close (I'm not expecting them to be better lol)

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #24 of 52
Yeah AT's wing system is great except for the A900X for me, for some reason I felt the A900X is loose to me and the cups sags.

The AKG 65th and the He400 to me are far from uncomfortable, but if I have to choose which one are more comfortable I would say the AKG 65th because it's lighter. The HE400 weight lets you know its there after long listening not because it hurts you or causes strain, but you just know its on your head. Where the 65th, I fumble a little in the beginning with adjusting to get comfortable then you just forget. The 65th has almost the same idea as the AT by having auto adjustment with arms which is nice by it adjusting to the weight on top of your head. Overall I think the comment made torward both are more about being picky.

I find the he400 headband to be more comfortable where as everything else the 65th are more comfortable.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #25 of 52
Thanks for the opinions guys, in the next few weeks I will be the proud owner of a brand new pair of HE400's, pretty excited!

Anyone have recommendations for immediate improvements? Cables? Pads? Looks like these headphones have a lot of various mods.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #27 of 52
As an owner of both I'd say go with the Annies unless you like a bright sizzling treble region.  I really feel like the Annies are very misunderstood and not given the respect they deserve. They are a very dry and accurate sounding headphone.  They don't show you anything that is not there. Think they have no bass or not very good bass? Listen to Deadmau5 4X4=12 and get back to me on that...

Midrange is fantastic and there is detail for days, great resolution, it's just not bright and forced. It is truly an accurate studio monitor.  I said this to someone else earlier and I think it holds true, the Annies let you see into the music instead of throwing it in your face.

He-400 left the stable, Annies are still here....

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #29 of 52
I can see it going either way just like the mad dogs.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #30 of 52
This is why I love the Audio Technica design. Some people hate it because the headphones won't stay up, but for people like me with a big head, it's flawless. I've yet to put any headphones on my head that are as comfortable as the wing system, hopefully these two at least come somewhat close (I'm not expecting them to be better lol)

The headband has never once bothered me at all and I am bald! You must have some kind of funky shaped head! How can they be digging in if they are so light? This forum never ceases to amaze me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back