AKG k701, Sennheiser HD598, and Grado SR325is Reviews
Oct 28, 2011 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Meyeyo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm new to this site and I couldn't find a thread (even google'd) about a comparison of these three headphones. I listen mostly to trance, rock (alt and metal) and chillout music. I'm somewhat bass heavy but then again I also don't want to listen to rock music where the electric guitar sounds distorted or when the bass just pretty much out-volumes other stuff.
Also, do I need an amp for these cans? If so, are there any recommended portable amps? I listen to mostly on my Blackberry that's why I am asking for a portable one since I listen to music when I'm in between classes so I have a lot of quiet time at the farthest part of the library, but an amp for the PC would also be good. I listen on my Blackberry mainly because after some comparing time with the iPod it just has a better sound quality, but that's just me so don't trollololol. I currently have the Sony MDR XB500. It's good on EDM's and HipHop music but its kinda too low on the rock music and jazz. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hey guys I'm new to this site and I couldn't find a thread (even google'd) about a comparison of these three headphones. I listen mostly to trance, rock (alt and metal) and chillout music. I'm somewhat bass heavy but then again I also don't want to listen to rock music where the electric guitar sounds distorted or when the bass just pretty much out-volumes other stuff.
Also, do I need an amp for these cans? If so, are there any recommended portable amps? I listen to mostly on my Blackberry that's why I am asking for a portable one since I listen to music when I'm in between classes so I have a lot of quiet time at the farthest part of the library, but an amp for the PC would also be good. I listen on my Blackberry mainly because after some comparing time with the iPod it just has a better sound quality, but that's just me so don't trollololol. I currently have the Sony MDR XB500. It's good on EDM's and HipHop music but its kinda too low on the rock music and jazz. 

I'm close.  Q701 is accurate, slightly hard sounding but not bad.  598, smooth, non-fatiguing, good all rounder, a little more bass than the AKG.  325i, more fun, can be aggressive, got a bit of a thump in the lower mid bass which can be good thing.  Q should have an amp, Senn, not necessarily, Grado, no need, really.  My short take with experience.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Here's a little bit of help. Try PMing people that have owned all three cans.

http://www.headfonia.com/old-school-trio-akg-k701-beyer-dt880-sennheiser-hd650/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/558306/music-for-sennheiser-hd-598-and-akg-k701

What type of music do you listen to, so i can help
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:

Ok, keep the XB500 ~ you're not going to 'out bass' those with any of these three.

Scratch the K701 ~ it is bass light and not recommended for rock. It excels with large orchestral
works and is favored by professional pianists in some circles. It really needs a serious full sized
desk amplifier. Forget it.

HD598 ~ the most versatile of the three and all you'll need is a portable E7 or Nuforce Icon Mobile
to power it. It handles mostly everything but doesn't really have a niche genre where it excels.
An all rounder.

Grado 325i - the King of rock. Plain and simple, nothing touches this for sheer visceral snarl
and realistic guitar thrash and twang. They're not bass shy with impact but compared to some
other cans, they don't extend as well. Doesn't matter, try finding a can that can do acoustic
or electric guitar like these ~ won't happen!

Only other thing to mention is comfort. That would go to the HD598, the 325i is a short,
good time can ~ the signature is very much in your face but entirely thrilling, the weight
of the cans mean that some find them a little uncomfortable.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 5
thanks for the input guys i know it took me a while to get back. also cifani090 i pretty much listen to anything depending on my mood though. ever since i started listening to trance and chillout music i've been pretty much into the bass side so i'll be keeping the xb500 for that purpose. i do listen to a few acoustic and jazz but they don't sound too good on my xb. for now im leaning towards overall quality and comfortabilty so i might get the hd598 even though 325i gets the spot for rock, i've never been too comfortable with on-ear headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back