AKG K701/Q701/K702/K712 headband elastic quick fix
Jan 29, 2016 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ardilla

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a pair of K701's with loose elastics. The rubber bands that hold the headband's suspension is stretched out over the years. They can be replaced properly, but that'll require special parts, a lot of frustrating picking-apart-action..

So I did a very functional 10-second repair. It works fabulous - much better than the original ones! You just have to snap off the elastic-holding clamp off the grey headband hoops, and wrap the rubber bands around it. Super fast, super durable!

I am quite certain I am not the first to do this, but I haven't seen anybody posting it:

I used a large and flat type grocery store rubber band 90 x 3 mm (90 mm is half the circumference).

Additional info:
There is an official repair hguide from AKG, it is located here (at the time of this post): http://cloud.akg.com/11272/1448017112315_674_6.pdf

There are previous threads where you get a hint of how to replace them properly:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/656875/akg-k702-701-also-headband-elastic
http://www.head-fi.org/t/422621/replacing-the-elastic-bands-in-k701s

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 14
I never liked the elastic self adjust it never felt like it holds the adjustment that I want. So I cut off the elastic put the headphones on and position the headband to the most comfortable position. Then hold the position of each adjustment and superglue each side to the position I find the best for comfort. Now I can put on the headphones and they hold the position that I prefer. For me this works well.

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 14
i just got a pair, with the same issue

my down 'n' dirty repair involved a similar trick - i shortened the stretch by wrapping a cable tie (or two as required) around the pair of elastics on each side, and in effect converted the parallel "drop" onto an X, making the length a hypotenuse rather than the adjacent - pretty close to the perfect height for my ears, but the superglue is appealing

i'll consider further "fix" once i can stand to take them off my ears, because they are plenty comfortable for wearing, but really comfortable for blissing out on music

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 14
what sorcery is this? i can't make it like you have it in the picture. can you post a video??
Lol, I think i unclicked the lower part of the headband to get the rubber band in place. Also I used one of those slightly wide and flat bands. The size is of course important, but I used the "normal" office supply type :)

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 14
Lol, I think i unclicked the lower part of the headband to get the rubber band in place. Also I used one of those slightly wide and flat bands. The size is of course important, but I used the "normal" office supply type :)
I am going to get myself some of these flat bands and see if i can do it. I was trying with hairbands and they're just too fat to be honest. Let me retry and see if i can.

thanks for replying though to this years old post man...cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 14
My brand new K712 pro needed this. I'm not sure if it was faulty or my head was narrow but it would slide down after only being on my head for a few seconds.
Very comfortable now with the elastic bands in place.
It's better than replacing the original ones imo as you can test bands with different tension to find the most comfortable one.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Thank you for posting!
I just picked up a pair of K702 with overstretched bands, did your quick fix and now the fit is not only higher but also a bit more sung around the ear.
Since the elastics on my pair were completely shot, I just snipped them off and stretched the rubber band(s) around the earcups and around back of the headband "rods".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back