AKG K701 driver cover broken??
Mar 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

oldwine

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all,

My friend want to acquire a K701, but that can have this problem

1451679.jpg

it seems the cover of driver have cracks in it, is it good to get this can?? as the seller offer a good bargain for it (just US$160)

Thanks for all opinions.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now it looks just as bad as it sounds.
wink.gif

lol
biggrin.gif

But seriously, I would see if it's still under warranty first...then at least you can send it in for repairs. If not, then I'm sure it will worsen over time, considering it managed to do that in the first place!

Hopefully your friend is buying this after he heard what a K701 sounds like.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear all,

My friend want to acquire a K701, but that can have this problem

1451679.jpg

it seems the cover of driver have cracks in it, is it good to get this can?? as the seller offer a good bargain for it (just US$160)

Thanks for all opinions.
regular_smile .gif

On a serious note, if it cannot be repaired then it may render the headphones useless because the cracked cup like that can vibrate and make all kinds of bad sounds. Not really what you want for a high end headphone. You would need to replace the cup or epoxy the crack to eliminate vibration.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 11
Considering that i got my pair for about $150 secondhand and in good condition... I reckon your deal isn't a terribly good one.

Besides, the plastic cover is pretty tough. It must have seen some pretty bad abuse to crack like that.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 11
I'd advise against this purchase unless the seller went down to $100-$120. Then it might be worth it.

I have no idea of the size of the cracks or exactly which piece of plastic is broken (there are a couple of pieces that could be described as driver covers). But as mentioned before, some epoxy could probably cure any unwanted noises arising from the cracks. Just be careful with epoxy. Toothpicks are my tool of choice when trying to apply epoxy to small areas.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 11
The price is too high for a can you'll have to have repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back