AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Dec 28, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,071 of 2,435
  I keep coming back to the K601 (fitted with 702 pads) as my absolute reference headphone. It has such a unique way of presenting sound that's just even throughout the spectrum, highly accurate but yet not not so much that it detracts from musicality. And enormous soundstage. I think the midrange is actually preferable to the HD800 based off several comparisons.

I'm glad they at least went with 120ohm drivers instead of anything <100ohm. It's in a good spot to be used with many types of amps, SS, tube, etc.

As for the Sextett being too bassy, I would generally agree. The drivers from that era are not as good at reproducing accurate treble. You'll notice the frequency response falls short at a certain point. It rolls off and becomes incoherent. In addition, the leather pads they come with will make a seal around the ear, which in most headphones means more bass. I found the best pad for this headphone is the (genuine) AKG velour pad, or the Shure SRH940 velour pads with foam backing removed. They make the headphone sound lighter, bass is even with the rest of the frequency response and treble seems to extend higher. I highly recommend the Shure pads.

I own and appreciate the K601: is there any difference when fitted with 702 pads?

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #2,072 of 2,435
     I own and appreciate the K601: is there any difference when fitted with 702 pads?

There's a definite improvement. A huge improvement, actually. I have a write-up earlier in this thread that addresses the differences. But mainly the frequency response seems to widen, more accurate and larger soundstage, and better instrument separation. Plus the comfort level increases since the 702 pads have more room for the ears. I feel the stock pads make the k601 very "congested", and using the k702 pads solves that problem completely.

When you change the pads, you can either leave the foam ring in or remove it. I find that removing the foam ring results in a clearer, brighter sound. But that is a matter of taste.

Also keep in mind that AKG pads have changed over the years. My k601 came with pads that are gray, uniform thickness and have a fairly small opening (almost too small for my ear to fit in). The k702 pads I use are black, thicker towards the back of the headphone, and have a much larger opening.

With the k702 pads, the k601 easily beats out the k701 and k702 in terms of sound quality. I actually traded my k702 after I switched the pads and I don't miss them at all.

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2,075 of 2,435
  just compared the freq. response curves between K550 and K601. It seems popular that most of the HP makers boost the gain on bass and reduce the gain on treble. To name a few, K550, M50x, LCD-2, it makes the music more listenable and appealing. If I want to audit a piece of music for the 1st time, I still go to K612 or HD600.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #2,077 of 2,435
  Where do you get the 702 pads?

I'm not sure of the best place, but here are a few places:

These are for the k701 and I can't tell if they are angled. If they are angled, then it will sound the same as the k702 pads.
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/151369-AKG-2458M12010

http://www.headphone.com/products/akg-k702-cushion-one-side

Cheaper Ebay equivalents. These just recently appeared on ebay and I can't vouch for them. They look good and could be worth a shot. It's by far the cheapest, being $30 for a pair and also includes new foam rings which are useful for tuning headphones in general.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Replacement-Cushion-Pads-For-K701-K702-Q701-Q702-K601-Headphones-/251638845983?var=&hash=item3a96d8121f:m:m8yAfR2OpT5UPsnmXyqmvlw

An as always, you should be able to call AKG's replacement parts department. Most companies will sell you replacement parts over the phone. You'll also have access to more parts since not all are available online. I bought Beyerdynamic drivers this way a while back.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,079 of 2,435
On another note, I received my K612 Pro headphones last night.  Playing them through the Vali 2 I got for Christmas, they don't sound bass light, though I did notice that they come to life with the Vali 2 in high gain... hence I don't think they'd be a good choice if you don't want to buy a decent amplifier.  The music lacks low frequency oomph in low gain mode.

No hum or background noise whatsoever on either gain mode, for those who are interested.  Just enjoying my new headphones for now, listening to The Wall.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #2,081 of 2,435
I can understand that people like the k601 with k702 pads, but not everyone likes the change.
For example, I think that the k601 with the angled pads is "too much."
Just wanted to say that it's not a general improvement.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #2,084 of 2,435
  On another note, I received my K612 Pro headphones last night.  Playing them through the Vali 2 I got for Christmas, they don't sound bass light, though I did notice that they come to life with the Vali 2 in high gain... hence I don't think they'd be a good choice if you don't want to buy a decent amplifier.  The music lacks low frequency oomph in low gain mode.

No hum or background noise whatsoever on either gain mode, for those who are interested.  Just enjoying my new headphones for now, listening to The Wall.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back