AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Dec 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,236 of 2,435
Can Fiio X3 2nd Gen drive K601 or K612 decent enough? I've seen several posts here about E10K drives them perfect. After that I looked for the specs of E10K and it's so similar to X3 2nd Gen. What do you think?

A quick note: Since those headphones are not portable and open-back, I will use them generally with my computer. So X3 2nd Gen will be USB DAC for this case. 

Specifications: http://www.fiio.net/en/products/39/parameters

Have a look at post #9269 from 13 days ago in the thread " Fiio x3 2nd gen" portable gear, it looks like the x3ii will drive most high impedance cans. Even my little Topping Nx-1 will drive them adequately on high gain from my iPod classic's LO . Fingers crossed! If the above post doesn't fully convince you, ask Brooko, because he knows the x3ii like the back of his hand and has also used the K612

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #2,237 of 2,435
Have a look at post #9269 from 13 days ago in the thread " Fiio x3 2nd gen" portable gear, it looks like the x3ii will drive most high impedance cans. Even my little Topping Nx-1 will drive them adequately on high gain from my iPod classic's LO . Fingers crossed! If the above post doesn't fully convince you, ask Brooko, because he knows the x3ii like the back of his hand and has also used the K612

Oh, good news. Thank you.

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,238 of 2,435
Oh, good news. Thank you.

I am delighted with my K612. I only wish I had auditioned them years ago, before buying ATH-M50, then Sennheiser HD518, then HD598, all of which had overblown bass to my ears. Then I bought a pair of original Austrian K271 studios and liked their overall sound quality. The K612 are for me, a refined and open version of the K271. For me, at my age, the K612 are endgame headphones

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,239 of 2,435
I am delighted with my K612. I only wish I had auditioned them years ago, before buying ATH-M50, then Sennheiser HD518, then HD598, all of which had overblown bass to my ears. Then I bought a pair of original Austrian K271 studios and liked their overall sound quality. The K612 are for me, a refined and open version of the K271. For me, at my age, the K612 are endgame headphones

I might buy them, we will see. 
A quick question, should I look for the line out of X3ii when I use it as USB DAC for my computer? Asking this because line out is only 1.5 Vrms which is just on par with my crappy onboard sound card. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,240 of 2,435

A quick question, should I look for the line out of X3ii when I use it as USB DAC for my computer? Asking this because line out is only 1.5 Vrms which is just on par with my crappy onboard sound card. 

Sorry, but I really have no idea. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to answer your question

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #2,241 of 2,435

even your onboard soundcard can drive the k601, albeit nearer to the threshold of its amp, power really isn't a huge issue here. If you want to use it as a usb dac for your computer, I recommend just getting the schiit fulla 2 instead

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #2,242 of 2,435
  even your onboard soundcard can drive the k601, albeit nearer to the threshold of its amp, power really isn't a huge issue here. If you want to use it as a usb dac for your computer, I recommend just getting the schiit fulla 2 instead

I don't own K601, so I don't know if it can drive. I just want to know that if I connect X3ii to my computer via line out, it will bypass computer's DAC right? What if I also want to bypass computer's AMP? Coax is for this?

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #2,243 of 2,435
  I don't own K601, so I don't know if it can drive. I just want to know that if I connect X3ii to my computer via line out, it will bypass computer's DAC right? What if I also want to bypass computer's AMP? Coax is for this?

If you hook up via coax or via USB you can use the X3ii DAc for the computer.  Both ways will also be using the X3ii's amp section - ie your headphones would be connected to the X3ii

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #2,244 of 2,435

If you hook up via coax or via USB you can use the X3ii DAc for the computer.  Both ways will also be using the X3ii's amp section - ie your headphones would be connected to the X3ii

Since line out of X3ii is 1,5 Vrms I'm afraid that it might be weaker than my soundcard's amp section. In this case, I would use X3ii as only DAC but I see that's not possible. My soundcard is Realtek ALC 888 but there are so many complicated terms on the data sheet, I can't understand its V. Can you help me?

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #2,245 of 2,435

Wait... I'm confused. 

Headphone via headphone out -> X3ii USB DAC via line/coax out -> Computer  is this the right setup?

In this case, which I don't use an external amp and only hooking my X3ii with computer, shouldn't I look for the headphone out Vrms of X3ii? 

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #2,246 of 2,435
It'll drive the K612 loud enough.  You won't be plugging your headphones into the fixed voltage line-out (you'll be plugging them into the headphone-out), so don't worry about it.

So USB to X3ii (if using Windows you'll need to load drivers).  Headphones into X3ii.  Simple.

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #2,247 of 2,435
  It'll drive the K612 loud enough.  You won't be plugging your headphones into the fixed voltage line-out (you'll be plugging them into the headphone-out), so don't worry about it.

So USB to X3ii (if using Windows you'll need to load drivers).  Headphones into X3ii.  Simple.

Thank you, I was thinking like I should plug my headphones to my computer's USB port and line-out of X3ii to computer via USB. Then I thought like headphone-out's 7.2 Vp-p (~2,54 Vrms) means nothing in this case. Nice clarification.

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #2,248 of 2,435
  Thank you, I was thinking like I should plug my headphones to my computer's USB port and line-out of X3ii to computer via USB. Then I thought like headphone-out's 7.2 Vp-p (~2,54 Vrms) means nothing in this case. Nice clarification.

If you plug your headphones into the computers port - your listening to the computer :)

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #2,250 of 2,435
  Can Fiio X3 2nd Gen drive K601 or K612 decent enough? I've seen several posts here about E10K drives them perfect. After that I looked for the specs of E10K and it's so similar to X3 2nd Gen. What do you think?
A quick note: Since those headphones are not portable and open-back, I will use them generally with my computer. So X3 2nd Gen will be USB DAC for this case. 
Specifications: http://www.fiio.net/en/products/39/parameters

I do have Fiio X3ii and AKG K601, and can get a decent,acceptable(normal?) level and excellent quality signal to listen to,but if your looking for something loud..you may want something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back