AKG K518DJ Build Quality - Get new pair or...?
Mar 30, 2012 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Shiryu

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have had two pair of AKG K518DJ headphones and they are a blast: good bass (not too heavy), good sound quality overall for the price.
There's just one problem: my second pair now died on me, with the same problem as my first.

I usually take my headphones everywhere, take care of them (don't throw them, use the carrying case, fold them nicely etc...) but the plug that goes into my portable source (iPhone) seems to die really quickly. This resulted TWICE (a little less than 2y) in the headphones' right side to stop working unless I wiggle the plug in an odd manner. I believe this might come from the fact that I put it in my jeans while on the go (bike/etc).

Since I'm going to return this pair again and either get store credit on Amazon or a new pair, it made me doubt.

Should I go for a third pair of AKG K518DJs or just change headphones?
There's barely any good headphone stores around here and most just sell basic Sennheisers. I have tried PX-200Ii model and didn't like the smallness and sound of the headphones (the bass seemed VERY light to be honest). Didn't get around testing many other models.

I checked the guide and apparently in about the same price range there are Creative Aurvana Live! which seem to do the trick, yet others say they have a different sound completely from the AKG K518DJ. I don't want muddy bass or just overpowering bass, but a good punch is always nice (fun factor).
I'm really torn on what to do, so I come to head-fi for some advice! :)

Tl;dr: new headphones needed, stick to AKG K518DJ for a third time or switch (if so, to what?)
Music: electronic (bass), some rock/metal and jazz. Also used from time to time for movies/games/series (not really important there for me).
Need to be quite portable (even though I also use at home), so no full sized headphones please (longer than 1m cable is good though).
Price range: +/- 60 euros (www.amazon.fr price for AKG K518DJs, can be a bit above but max is 100 euros).
A link to new pair on there = perfect!
If more info is needed, shoot.

Thanks in advance all!

P.S.: It's been a while since I posted, it's semi advice but also wondering how come twice the same problem happened to me on (what's supposed to be) sturdy headphones. If it belongs in another thread feel free to tell me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back