AKG K518 vs MEElectronics HT-21
Mar 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

manarius

New Head-Fier
My MEElectronics M6 earbuds just broke, and I'm looking into getting them replaced. I'm not really into sticking things in my ears though, and I've been thinking about just getting some nice portable headphones for a while. Well, this seems like the perfect time to make the plunge.

I have a pair of Creative Aurvana Live!'s (Denon D1001's?), which I love. They're extremely comfortable, sound great, and were nicely priced ($70), but they're a bit large to be truly portable.

After searching through the forum, and reading through Joker's headphone comparison thread, I've come away with two top choices: the K518 and the HT-21. I can get the K518 LE on Amazon for $50, and they do look sexy with that green trim. On the other hand, the comfort issues I keep seeing brought up are more than a little worrying. The Ht-21's are a little under $40 on Amazon. They don't look quite as nice, but they have a much better comfort factor, from what I hear. The two headphones reportedly have very different sound signatures, but I'm honestly not sure I'll be able to tell the difference.

I really haven't got a clue what kind of sound signature I want. I listen to rock, alternative, a tiny bit of hip-hop, classical, indie: just about everything from one end of the spectrum to the other. I really just want something that will sound great with whatever I throw at it, look stylish, and won't cost me more than $75. Less is better.

Please recommend anything else you think would fit the bill.

Thanks!

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 5
How 'bout the Sennheiser HD228's and 238's$ The 238's are actually $50 on Amazon, while the 228's are $65. How do these two compare to each other and the K518 and HT-21?

Actually, I can get refurbished HD238's for $30. Good deal?

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 5
A refurbished set of HD-238s for $30 is an excellent value if you ask me but be warned that the 238s are open headphones and thus will not be ideal for use during a commute because they do not isolate you very well from outside noises and will leak some sound outward so others will easily be able to tell what you're listening to.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks.

Closed headphones would be ideal, but I think I could make a pair of opens work. We'll see. Right now I'm leaning toward the HT-21's over the K518's and even the HD238's. From all reports, they're extremely comfortable, which, if I'm being honest with myself, is more important than sound quality.

Also, if anyone else is interested in the refurbished HD238's, they're being sold by Amazon right now. If you have Amazon Prime, you can get them shipped 2-day for $30 total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back