AKG K501 vs. AKG K550
Jun 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Capt. Z

500+ Head-Fier
I love my AKG K501 but would love to have some closed headphones so my wife can watch TV while I listen to music in the same room without her hearing my music and me not nearing most of the TV.

So just wondering if the K550 would sound similar to the K501.

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 8
AKG K550 are a good buy, nice easy and detailed sound, find used ones on eBay.

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 8
Just got a used one from this site.

550 is definitely different than the 501.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Only played 2 CDs so far.

First was Mozart. First impression during the first few seconds was a hump in the mids, probably caused by the phones being closed (Up till now I only had open designs), but my ears adjusted quickly to it.

The second was a Jazz singer (forgot who it was) and it did sound very nice.

Warm and full sound, great isolation to the outside means I can keep the volume down (and ears save) while listening to my music.

I believe the person before me used them 30 hours or less. They may need some more time to break in.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 8
  Only played 2 CDs so far.
First was Mozart. First impression during the first few seconds was a hump in the mids, probably caused by the phones being closed (Up till now I only had open designs), but my ears adjusted quickly to it.
The second was a Jazz singer (forgot who it was) and it did sound very nice.
Warm and full sound, great isolation to the outside means I can keep the volume down (and ears save) while listening to my music.
I believe the person before me used them 30 hours or less. They may need some more time to break in.

What sources are you playing the CDs from?
Are you using a dedicated DAC and headphone amplifier?

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 8
During those 2 CDs I only used my laptop straight out the headphone jack, which does pretty decent on my other phones. Have not tried them on my Woo3 yet.

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Nice pickup. I enjoy my K550 quite a bit. I've found they make for a great travel can as they're durable and incredibly easy to drive. I find they do scale somewhat with better equipment but thoroughly enjoy the sound quality even out of a mobile device. Enjoy!

- Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back