AKG K501 love...
Mar 19, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #481 of 1,177
Here's My recable using standard canare starquad and a canare jack. Pretty happy with the result, considering it cost about 7 bucks. At first I managed to break my driver, but then I was able to do some very delicate resoldering of the magnet wire and it sounds great. I ended up with an extra capsule driver (I paid $55+ shipping, if anyone needs it, send me a PM and we can work something out)The starquad goes into the hole pretty nicely, so you get a professional look. My only problem is that I haven't done any strain relief, so I hear noises(not microphonics) when moving the cable around.

Is that blue tak used above? Perhaps I can add a little of that inside the cup on the cable to dampen the noises.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #482 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WARNING!!!

As I suggested above about steam ironing the velour pads. Don't do it, the heat will warp the backing that attaches to the disk. It worked wonders on the foam but now I am trying to get the disk back to form. Hopefully you just stuck to washing the pads VR as I should have. I just wanted instant results of which I thought the iron could provide. I guess it would work for grado pads though.

steamedvelour.jpg

phew (wiping sweat from my brow)

I was able to get the backings back to normal by smashing them between a couple of stone tiles with a case of paper on top immediately after steaming them.

OMG YOU IRONED UR EARPADS?!

LOL
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #483 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by gates_2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that blue tak used above? Perhaps I can add a little of that inside the cup on the cable to dampen the noises.

yea it is, but I didn't find any place to put on the inside so I just stuffed it on the cable holes.

You might want to try having the cable do a Y split because the akg one side deployment they put on all their cans is pretty dumb.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #484 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea it is, but I didn't find any place to put on the inside so I just stuffed it on the cable holes.

You might want to try having the cable do a Y split because the akg one side deployment they put on all their cans is pretty dumb.

The funny thing is it takes extra work to make it one-sided. But I do like the one-sided cable of my K501, especially compared to that of my K340. Nice job on the recable and hope the improvements aren't just placebo.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I find it interesting that your impressions are in agreement with those of Patrick's... maybe he's not so crazy after all.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #485 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The funny thing is it takes extra work to make it one-sided. But I do like the one-sided cable of my K501, especially compared to that of my K340. Nice job on the recable and hope the improvements aren't just placebo.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I find it interesting that your impressions are in agreement with those of Patrick's... maybe he's not so crazy after all.
k1000smile.gif

well the one sided scheme defeats any kind of improvement. There is a pair of thin jumper wires on each side, and the right driver is connected to the left via two antenna metal rods (the signature akg antennas) which is of questionable metals.. There really isn't any extra work because once you open both sides just desolder the the jumper wires between rod and driver and then instead punch a hole and bring your cable in and solder to the driver like every other headphone does..

Yea I don't think patrick is overly crazy. There is always method beneath the madness. I'd be happy to do a k501 shootout so people with better ears and a more mature musical selection can confirm my findings. I know vcoheda recently had his recabled by akzip...

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #486 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the one sided scheme defeats any kind of improvement. There is a pair of thin jumper wires on each side, and the right driver is connected to the left via two antenna metal rods (the signature akg antennas) which is of questionable metals.. There really isn't any extra work because once you open both sides just desolder the the jumper wires between rod and driver and then instead punch a hole and bring your cable in and solder to the driver like every other headphone does..

Yea I don't think patrick is overly crazy. There is always method beneath the madness. I'd be happy to do a k501 shootout so people with better ears and a more mature musical selection can confirm my findings. I know vcoheda recently had his recabled by akzip...

Well I meant it takes extra work to make it one-sided in the first place. I'd love a shoot-out, I don't think I've seen any for the K501 before. Of course, this means I might have to add more things to my to-buy/do list...
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #487 of 1,177
I'm thinking of buying a second hand pair k501's. How do these match up with a little dot++? does the little dot complement the k501's or doesn't that match and should I wait and buy a hd600? or both?

Mar 27, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #488 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of buying a second hand pair k501's. How do these match up with a little dot++? does the little dot complement the k501's or doesn't that match and should I wait and buy a hd600? or both?

First, let us know where your'e finding those!

Second, though not the LD++, I have them paired with the LDMT, fantastic!

Mar 27, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #490 of 1,177
Are these things worth 75 euro second hand? They're said to be in good condition, they looked fine on the picture.

I found a seller willing to part with them for that price, but I'm still debating whether I should go for it or not, as I currently have no amp, and my sources are pretty lackluster too (SB Live soundcard and an old technics amplifier)

Thanks in advance.

Mar 27, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #491 of 1,177
If the elastics and pads are still in very good shape, I'd say 75 euro is a great price. They're pretty hard to drive though, so you may or may not be impressed with how they sound with what you have now.

Mar 27, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #492 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these things worth 75 euro second hand? They're said to be in good condition, they looked fine on the picture.

I found a seller willing to part with them for that price, but I'm still debating whether I should go for it or not, as I currently have no amp, and my sources are pretty lackluster too (SB Live soundcard and an old technics amplifier)

Thanks in advance.

I think we're looking at the same headphone? marktplaats.nl? Anyway decided not to go for them and wait for my tax give back from the government and buy a ld2++ and senn HD600's (heard the hd600 at a friend last time and was pretty impressed with the sound). Just thought the k501's would be a good deal.

Mar 28, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #494 of 1,177
It's a pretty subtle change with the star quad, but I'd say that I definately did notice a change, a bit more low end is the most obvious.

Question to those out there who have done it:

Does recabling with a more elite cable(caradas or some silver) make a significant difference?

If so, could you describe it? I'm looking to optimize my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back