Akg K400
Jul 23, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #31 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiemen,
can you write a quick comparison of the sonic signature of the k601 vs the k400? It would probably be a good thing to compare with a current production can.

The K400 is not that old....
If you listen to the K400 from a hifi perspective, I don't think you hear anything that stands out. It's more the organic feel they give, it's a pleasure listening to music with these cans. They are very balanced throughout the audio spectrum. Musical is the word that comes up.
Balance, mids, highs, they're all integrated in the sound.
The K400 is detailed, but not too much. Mids are slightly forward, yet warm at the same time.
The sound of the K400 is quick, and a little bit lightweight. Toe tapping is guaranteed.
They excell with female voices. For example listening to Emmylou Harris is a real treat.
Bass is not deep, but very tight.
Sibilance is very tolerable
They can handle al lot of styles: pop, country, folk, some rock.

Not all kinds of rock. For example, the band Rush sounds awfull with the K400.
Than it's time to grab the K601. The 601 has more body, slam, oomph, or how you will call it. They are even better with all kinds of music. But they are not as airy as the K400, soundstage is smaller.
I think the treble of the K601 is more rolled off. But still the K601 is very detailed and revealing.
The K601 sounds slightly warmer/darker. The bass is a little thicker, fuller and slower.
The K400 wins on PRaT. The K601 gets my feet also tapping, but less than the K400.
The K601 wins on impact, authority and presence with heavier rock. It's more a all-arounder.
They're both very comfortable.

It's hard to say which is better.
They just sound different, and useful with different kind of music.
For example, when a recordings sounds bad or distorted, I rather use the K400.
I think the K400 benefits more from a headphone amp than the K601.

Disclaimer: all the above is IMHO, with my ears and my gear. And English is not my maiden language.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #32 of 394
Quote:

Fitz,
Do you have any popular current production cans to compare with these? Just want to get a better idea on its sound signature.

It's been a while since I owned any current production headphones. I wouldn't know what the "popular" headphones are right now anyways.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #33 of 394
One thing I forgot. The K400 works fabulous with vinyl (yes, I'm that old
smily_headphones1.gif

Much better than the K601.
It's just amazing how good these cans sounds with my Thorens 166 with Grado cart.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #35 of 394
Quote:

These cans really look like they are the greatest value in audio just by reading the impressions on them

Well, they're certainly not.
From a straight audio/hi-fi point of view, they are maybe not that great.
There are a lot of headphones with more detail, deeper bass, extended highs etc.
It's that organic feel they give, while listening to music, that makes them so special.
You forget that you are wearing headphones, you just listen to the music and enjoy.
But the K400 are by far not the greatest cans on earth.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #36 of 394
At the Atlanta meet, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/he...ssions-341183/, PiccoloNamek listened to the K-400.
This is what he wrote: "This headphone is awesome. Very light and airy sounding, almost delicate. Good for acoustic music. Sounds much better than the K701s or K240s."

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #37 of 394
Any fellow k400's owners...

You should recable these. You will get more detail and bass, but maintain the same character of sound.

I have a set of HD580'd that I made a hand braided cable for on my head right now and while the hd580 cable is better - the k400 still outperforms them IMO.

I think I am going to make another higher end cable for the k400 and see what I can get out of this thing. Even just with Neglex Miniquad, they sing. Also, I have found that they react very well to tubes. Much the same difference in Senns on tubes versus senns on solid state.

The cable I made for the k400's used the jumpers form the previous cable, so that it was still easily replaceable.

I will people at the Chicago meet give their impressions. I doubt that they will be very different from others here. It has a very organic quality to the sound.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #38 of 394
Tiemen,
let me correct my statement. maybe the best value at least for me then
biggrin.gif
since organic sound is what its all about IMO. Those descriptions make them a must hear for me.

To give you an idea of my taste... I love my hd600s because of the organic sound plus technical ability which is a hard to beat combination for me. I think I'm gonna have a hard time finding anything better under $1000 for my taste.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #39 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable I made for the k400's used the jumpers form the previous cable, so that it was still easily replaceable.

So you went to the trouble of recabling, but intentionally left the easily oxidized solderless connections in place? Um... ok.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #40 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a set of HD580'd that I made a hand braided cable for on my head right now and while the hd580 cable is better - the k400 still outperforms them IMO.

Do your HD580s have the 600 grills?

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #41 of 394
no, not as right now. They are on my list of stuff to buy though. I painted the set of 580 grills I got with mine a gold to match the rest of my equipment and since they were pretty scratched up...

Fitz, I cleaned the connectors in that weird oil like solution - I think it was de-ox-it? I cleaned out the entire headphone while I had it open as just a good idea thing.

I find that the k400 is pretty easy to work on/disassemble.

Plus, it was one of my first recables and didn't want to risk anything.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #42 of 394
I finally managed to get my hands on a pair of K400s. They arrived today
biggrin.gif
. I immediately tried them and they sounded great. For a moment I got a little scare, because the left driver rattled on low bass notes (last year I bought a K500 with busted left driver which made the same sound), but as I had bought this pair from a reputed Head-Fi'er, I assumed that it was a hair stuck on or in the driver, probably landing there during transport to the Netherlands. Which it was. I removed it and the rattle was gone. They sound great. Quite different from what I had expected, much more fun. I A/B'd them with a pair of K501s and the K400 soundstage is less, but the mids are much more forward. Vocals sound great, I like the bass, which is tight. I assume the Mogami recable may have something to do with the fact that the bass is really present. Somewhere in the next two weeks, Agnostic and myself are going to do a mini-meet AKG comparo, testing the K400, K500, K501 and K701 with SS amps and tube amps and a heap of music. Until then I'll just allow my ears to get used to the fun sound of the K400. And thanks to Ludoo for selling me this pair in great condition!

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #43 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a moment I got a little scare, because the left driver rattled on low bass notes (last year I bought a K500 with busted left driver which made the same sound), but as I had bought this pair from a reputed Head-Fi'er, I assumed that it was a hair stuck on or in the driver, probably landing there during transport to the Netherlands. Which it was.

Uh, sorry for that. I gave them a cleaning when I replaced the elastics before shipping, but I did not inspect the drivers carefully.

Quote:

Somewhere in the next two weeks, Agnostic and myself are going to do a mini-meet AKG comparo, testing the K400, K500, K501 and K701 with SS amps and tube amps and a heap of music. Until then I'll just allow my ears to get used to the fun sound of the K400. And thanks to Ludoo for selling me this pair in great condition!

If you want to include another K4/5 model in the comparo, I can loan you my K401s. They too are recabled, but they were quite different from the K400s even before the recable. Something like the 401s are to the 400s like the 400s are to the 501s. Fun phones. PM me if you want them for the meet. And thanks to you for a really smooth transaction, I'm glad my K400s have found a good home.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #44 of 394
Quote:

Uh, sorry for that. I gave them a cleaning when I replaced the elastics before shipping, but I did not inspect the drivers carefully.

There's no way to prevent a single hair from slipping in!
biggrin.gif
And as I said they are in a really good condition, so no worries. I'm really glad to get a pair of K400s in this condition, recabled and everything on top of a smooth transaction.

Quote:

If you want to include another K4/5 model in the comparo, I can loan you my K401s.

Thanks for the offer. You are being too generous! I'll PM you.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #45 of 394
REB, can you do a quick comparison between the K400 and the K500? I'm really curious about the sound difference (thinking of buying the K500 myself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back