AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Mar 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #121 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my God!!

Sorry I don't have the skill to do that I'm afraid. I would just mess the headphone up.

But thanks.

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm no pro too...I've changed the pads and filling behind driver, both affect comfort and sound respectively IMHO. Maybe worth trying?

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #122 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by notuagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm no pro too...I've changed the pads and filling behind driver, both effect comfort and sound respectively IMHO. Maybe worth trying?

Really I can change the pads, Be nice to get pads like the K-701, as it has good better grip.

And what do you use to do the filling behind the driver?

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #123 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K-501 focuses on musicality and coherency while the K340 focus more on detail and analysis.

Could you go into detail on the musicality difference between K340 and K501? On coherency I might agree but on musicality.....Please elaborate us.

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #124 of 1,184
TDL, I'd warn you on using the 701 pads, generally you don't want velour on 'stats, although I don't know how this will fare with the K340's (on 'stats it kills the low end response, the K340's are "in between" though, so who knows)

in regards to "what do you use as filling for the driver" I would respond "anything and everything that doesn't cause damage and makes the sound what you want it to be"

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #126 of 1,184
my example:

my ESP/10's have "foam" (by "foam" I mean this black homogenous substance with the rough density and consistency of bread, the smell of old rubber, and it sticks to everything), this can be cut up/removed/adjusted/etc, and replaced with other materials (such as more wood/metal (they already have some), newer, less odd "foam" type materials, and so on)

point being, you likely won't damage anything with your cotton wool, but I don't know if it will give you a "good" sound, changing the dampening material is a personal preference, to bring the sound where you want it at, for example with the ESP/10's, removing the "foam" makes them almost entirely open, adding higher density material closes them in more dramatically, this influences soundstage, low end presentation, treble sparkle, etc, its all preferential

and just a side note:
if you like where the sound is now, as in you don't listen to them and think "wow, if I could just shift this a bit here, and change this here", getting an "improvement" will take quite a lot of time tweaking them (because you're starting with no real goal in mind except "better", so you have to play with them to derive what "better" sounds like (be it more bass, more high end, more open, more closed, etc))

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #127 of 1,184
Yes cotton is ok. There is stock cotton already there (if not already removed) and as I mentioned some have reported success with felt.

How does it affect the sound? Tightens/loosens lower frequencies, while narrowing/widening soundstage and damping/accentuating highs.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #128 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by notuagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes cotton is ok. There is stock cotton already there (if not already removed) and as I mentioned some have reported success with felt.

How does it affect the sound? Tightens/loosens lower frequencies, while narrowing/widening soundstage and damping/accentuating highs.

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm hoping you mean either/or on each of those, I'd love to hear a mod that both narrows and widens the soundstage
wink.gif

yes this is a tongue-in-cheek comment
ksc75smile.gif

in all seriousness, I would only begin to change the sound of a 'phone if you know what you're after changing, so for the OP, I would give these another few weeks/months of head-time, get used to them, let them get used to you, etc, and then make a decision about modding their sound

the earpads, elastics, etc are all do-able without dramatically changing much of anything (yes, earpads can somewhat change sound due to affecting voicing, but its minor, and elastics could do the same, but again, its minor)

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #129 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes this is a tongue-in-cheek comment
ksc75smile.gif

I wouldn't expect anything more/less from you
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in all seriousness, I would only begin to change the sound of a 'phone if you know what you're after changing, so for the OP, I would give these another few weeks/months of head-time, get used to them, let them get used to you, etc, and then make a decision about modding their sound

the earpads, elastics, etc are all do-able without dramatically changing much of anything (yes, earpads can somewhat change sound due to affecting voicing, but its minor, and elastics could do the same, but again, its minor)

Sound advice, however I was a little unhappy with the lower end initially on the 340s and a simple adjustment in the amount of filling/cotton/felt/whatever/etc rectified this.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #130 of 1,184
oh I'm not doubting that users may find fault with a hp, and I 100% support your choice to make needed adjustments

my point is basically, make sure you know what needs changing, or that you're pretty sure you want the change made, otherwise you'll spend 10 hours sitting there fiddling around, only to end up with them returned to stock, and probably a bit of mess to clean up

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #131 of 1,184
I have only had my K340s for less then a week, but I am loving what they do. These Headphones sound good with anything I play on them! Sometimes they can be a bit unforgiving with bad recordings I guess.

One of the main things I like about these Headphones is the Vocals, vocals are so clear and simple to listen too on these headphones. And I also hear sounds that I have never heard before, like affects and back ground noise. These Headphones can pick things up that some other phones can't do.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #133 of 1,184
/Quote/

I agree.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #134 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/Quote/

I agree.

You are very wise!!!!!

Good luck with those phones. I have found my 340s very accurate especially if you are into accurate music reproduction. Probably the best of the AKGs with the possible exception of the K1000. They are also very comfy for a closed design. One good thing to get rid of if you can is that dang'd coiled cable.
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #135 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooterboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are very wise!!!!!

Good luck with those phones. I have found my 340s very accurate especially if you are into accurate music reproduction. Probably the best of the AKGs with the possible exception of the K1000. They are also very comfy for a closed design. One good thing to get rid of if you can is that dang'd coiled cable.
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks very much.

I'll let you all know how I get on in the next 2 months or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back