Akg k270 studios.
Feb 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DukeSilver

New Head-Fier
I found a guy on craigslist selling 3 pairs of k270s which all need to have one side repaired. I'm thinking the wires need to be re-soldered to the drivers, but i don't know too much about these headphones to take the gamble granted he is selling them for very very little money. 

Main problems from me pulling the trigger are that i don't know what to expect when breaking these down to fix. Also i know these headphones are dual drivers in each cup, so i don't know if its any different from other headphones internals and its keeping me from pulling the trigger.

If anyone has any info about these headphones such as comments and a tear down guide, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
I found a guy on craigslist selling 3 pairs of k270s which all need to have one side repaired. I'm thinking the wires need to be re-soldered to the drivers, but i don't know too much about these headphones to take the gamble granted he is selling them for very very little money. 

Main problems from me pulling the trigger are that i don't know what to expect when breaking these down to fix. Also i know these headphones are dual drivers in each cup, so i don't know if its any different from other headphones internals and its keeping me from pulling the trigger.

If anyone has any info about these headphones such as comments and a tear down guide, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Might be the cable, or one of the wires came lose (in either cup).  If it's a dead driver (unlikely that all of them suffer from the same thing) you have two other for parts.  I definitely would jump on them if the price for all three is under $150.  And if you are capable enough you can get one or two working if not all three, I'd jump on it.  If you search the forums via the search ^ box at the very top you find a good deal of info on the K270.  I think there is two models not including the headset versions (the Studio and Playback model).  They should be pretty much identical minus sounding a little different.  I'm sure one of those posters might have the service document, it doesn't seem to be in AKG's archive library.  Helpful hint like most AKG's built on that frame, pop off the name badge that's glued on (not the cap the thin label on the end of it) at the ends of the cups and there should be a sloted screw you can remove, continue logically from there.  Never taking one of these apart [k270] I think they might be most similar to the K271, than the K240's, but they are very similar.  Hopefully that's a good starting point.

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 12
If you go with it and are having trouble along the way, post.  There is a lot of AKG fans here to help you out and give you advice.  Best of luck.  How cheap are they?

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
If you go with it and are having trouble along the way, post.  There is a lot of AKG fans here to help you out and give you advice.  Best of luck.  How cheap are they?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/2225514057.html

And they're (AKG frames) actually pretty easy to open up and fix. I can assume they have a crossover though, which complicates things. Hopefully Fitz can chime in and help though.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 12
I think they are both wired to each other like a K290 in stereo mode.  It would be the same as the K280's wiring method.  I'm sure Fitz will chime in when he notices.

The 75 ohms suggest that the two 150 ohm drivers are wired together in parallel, in each cup.

P.S.  That's a great deal, I'd jump on all three if I lived there.  It would be a simple weekend project (not even that long, a few hours).

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 12
Feb 22, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 12
Lol thats the ad that made me make this thread ;p. I already messaged the guy, but i'm still having doubts whether they can be fixed or be a burden.

You could easily sell them for no loss here.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 12
I think 25 is kind of steep for broken headphones.  But from your point of view being able to fix them, it's still a great deal.  The most likely culprit would be a simple wiring issue.  It could even be the plug, in which case you would just put a new one on and then wham bam thank you mam.

And even if you only get 2 of them working, you could sell one for 50, break even and also be giving someone a good deal. 

I've never heard this model though...

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah I've heard of both but haven't heard either.  I don't know much about Studio vs Playback but the Playbacks seem like they would be great since I liked the soundstage and imaging abilities of the K280/K290 but I thought the voicing was off, and the K270 playback are supposed to be voiced like the Sextett but have dual drivers like the K280/90.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 12
I just had mine repaired by a technician in Glasgow Flynn Amps and cost me £30.  He said the solder had come loose on one side of the overhead bar and needed 1 hour and half work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back