AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #826 of 1,152
So I received the M100s and although they did have decent bass, they just reminded me too much of a Bose sound signature, which I don't have a particular taste for as I feel they just go after the forward mids and somewhat bloated bass that caters to the masses. I also found them to be uncomfortable like the M50s and promptly returned them feeling like I just can't find what my ears want. They were just too "fun" for me to feel like they were serious listening cans.. and for that I already have the beats pros for when I'm going to my hockey games (yes, I am a gal and I play women's hockey)  Got a problem with that? Talk to my man!!!  
wink_face.gif

I had not sent my K267s back yet as there was something that kept me reaching for them when I was in the office and obviously away from my HD800s. I LOVE the sig of my JH13s but when at the office, I often have people stopping by and wanting to discuss projects and to keep removing and reinserting the in ears is just a PIA. This is the void I wanted to fill with the K267s and I have to say that despite the sub par build quality, I am going to keep them. After A/Bing them to the K550s in Best Buy and noticing that they still have that AKG sound that I enjoy but with a tad more bass, I just decided to keep them for what they are... no D7000/D5000/D2000 or HD800 or JH13 killer... but a portable can that I can enjoy either hooked up to my iPhone 5 or my MB Pro via my Dragonfly and Audirvana+ app with a more neutral sound sig than most cans in the same price range.

Do I think they are worth the $299 asking price? No... but for the meantime they'll fill the void nicely and I plan on shipping back to AKG to repair the issues mine had from a quality perspective right out of box.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #827 of 1,152
Quote:
So I received the M100s and although they did have decent bass, they just reminded me too much of a Bose sound signature, which I don't have a particular taste for as I feel they just go after the forward mids and somewhat bloated bass that caters to the masses. I also found them to be uncomfortable like the M50s and promptly returned them feeling like I just can't find what my ears want. They were just too "fun" for me to feel like they were serious listening cans.. and for that I already have the beats pros for when I'm going to my hockey games (yes, I am a gal and I play women's hockey)  Got a problem with that? Talk to my man!!!  
wink_face.gif

I had not sent my K267s back yet as there was something that kept me reaching for them when I was in the office and obviously away from my HD800s. I LOVE the sig of my JH13s but when at the office, I often have people stopping by and wanting to discuss projects and to keep removing and reinserting the in ears is just a PIA. This is the void I wanted to fill with the K267s and I have to say that despite the sub par build quality, I am going to keep them. After A/Bing them to the K550s in Best Buy and noticing that they still have that AKG sound that I enjoy but with a tad more bass, I just decided to keep them for what they are... no D7000/D5000/D2000 or HD800 or JH13 killer... but a portable can that I can enjoy either hooked up to my iPhone 5 or my MB Pro via my Dragonfly and Audirvana+ app with a more neutral sound sig than most cans in the same price range.

Do I think they are worth the $299 asking price? No... but for the meantime they'll fill the void nicely and I plan on shipping back to AKG to repair the issues mine had from a quality perspective right out of box.

It sounds like the Tiesto line has reasonably good sound.  I think I was expecting a top-tier basshead can, particularly with the user-adjustable bass on the K267 and the fact that the namesake of the line incorporates a great deal of bass in his music.  For anyone who had high hopes that the K267 would be a bass monster with overall excellent sound, I would recommend the NuForce HP-800.  I just received them today and they are a basshead lover's dream with accurate mids and nicely extended highs.  However, if you also want them to be portable, look elsewhere.  I am having a blast with them right now and feel they perform well above their $150.  They might also be the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #828 of 1,152
I too just received my M100's... I'm still forming an opinion of them, and no burn-in as of yet, but so far so good. Definitely better than the M80's (didn't care for those at all); the bass is quite refined compared to those, the UE 6000's, and the amperiors, but not quite as much as the K267's, and not at all like the D600's. They are a very different sound from the K267's, with the K267's being generally more balanced, but the M100's don't have that annoying dip in the low mids, just a small one in the upper mids possibly, and also lack a bit of treble extension/'air'. The mids are also generally not as forward as the K267's, but I think they sound more natural this way, and I love the bass punch on them. These actually remind me a lot of my D5000's; if Denon released a version of the D5000's that had more of a dark skew to them, I imagine the M100's are close to how they would sound like. The biggest difference is that the bass isn't as boomy (yet also not as well textured) as the D5000's. Compared to the D600's, the M100's have better mids, and more natural highs (though, darker), but the bass is still no match to them (aside from 'slam'). The bass extension is pretty good though, as it rumbles down to about 5hz (almost like the Denons), and the roll-off begins at about 25hz. It does struggle with the sub-bass a lot more than the Denons though, as the M100 has more audible distortion in the 1-20hz region. Overall, in terms of sound signature, I think I still slightly prefer the DT1350's over these other portables though, but I'm gonna need some more time to evaluate.

The imaging on the M100's is easily better than the K267's, but not by a whole lot. I think they may actually have weaker imaging than the UE 6000's, but my memory of them is already starting to fade, so gonna have to take a grain of salt on that one. Not as good as the Amperiors, D600's/D5000's, or DT1350's though. The soundstage on the M100's is also nicer than all of those other phones but the Denons. If these were a bit brighter, they'd be pretty much what I was expecting the K267's to sound like when on full-bass. But alas, that was not the case, and the M100's may just lack a bit of treble for me overall.

Other than that, the M100's are one finely built portable. About the same in comfort as the K267's for me, though my ears actually fit inside the cups of the M100's unlike with the K267 (despite having bigger cups). And despite all the anecdotes, I really wasn't expecting them to be as small as they are either, which is nice in a portable. My only gripe is that the shorter (more portable) cable is the bright orange one, not the black one that would've matched the headphones better, but oh well, that's just silly nit picking at that point 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #829 of 1,152
Really enjoying the K267 at the moment.  Was wondering where one could get replacement cables for them? This type of cable is new to me, is it a micro xlr ?

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #831 of 1,152
Quote:
Really enjoying the K267 at the moment.  Was wondering where one could get replacement cables for them? This type of cable is new to me, is it a micro xlr ?

Why exactly are you looking to get a replacement cable? Not satisfied with the stock one?

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #837 of 1,152
Is miow somehow connected to the headphone industry or something? Or maybe he just like hyping up headphones he purchaes for his own gratification?

He seems to get a new pair of headphones, hype the absolute s*** out of them, say THESE ARE THE BEST EVER x500 posts... Then after a week or two he will proceed to sell the headphones and get something else even though he just spend 500 posts saying how they are the best headphones he has ever tried etc etc.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #839 of 1,152
I personally think that AKG messed up trying to separate the K167 and K267 into different headphones. They should have taken the best attributes of the K167 (compact headband, highly isolating design) and the K267 (removable cable, some (but not all to reduce weight) metal-framed items) and put them together to make one fantastic can.

The bass boost function of the K267 has shown itself to be a complete waste of time; in fact, it seems to be a detriment as it reduces the overall isloation of the headphone, and feels cheap to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back